Isaac Hayden

Good move for all parties.

Goes to show how big task it's going to be for the people in charge of transfers out when we can't even get a fee for Hayden. English & only turned 27 in March this year. No way we'll be able to add anything of significant note to our transfer budget through sales unless we sell one of our players that we'd ideally like to keep.

Edited by Conjo

14 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Good move for all parties.

Goes to show how big task it's going to be for the people in charge of transfers out when we can't even get a fee for Hayden. English & only turned 27 in March this year. No way we'll be able to add anything of significant note to our transfer budget through sales unless we sell one of our players that we'd ideally like to keep.

Was thinking this myself. Going to take some work getting rid of Hendrick, Gayle, Clark, Fernandez. Even Almiron. Who in this world is going to pay for an attacking player who doesnt do anything in attack? Think we are stuck with many of them

36 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Was thinking this myself. Going to take some work getting rid of Hendrick, Gayle, Clark, Fernandez. Even Almiron. Who in this world is going to pay for an attacking player who doesnt do anything in attack? Think we are stuck with many of them

There are plenty of teams who would value his pressing, energy and pace tbf. He's obviously miles away from elite level but I think he could do a job for a lower-mid-table team in England, Spain, Germany etc 

I'm really happy to see the tremendous amount of positive messages to him on his twitter and on the Norwich announcement, he was a good servant for the club and i'm happy to see that being appreciated by our fan base, hopefully more players will aspire to leave on a similar note when they do leave.

He's class, man. It's a shame he's not quite up to it at this level, because he seems like someone you'd love to have around the training ground at the very least. 

There'll be some pretty decent players going out of the door over the next 12 months, and by decent I mean not good enough to take us to the next level, but still good enough to do a job for clubs in the lower half of the PL or the championship. Hayden, Darlow, Lascelles, Ritchie, Almiron, even Gayle. A lot of them are good pros, they can certainly do a decent job for clubs with less lofty goals.

5 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

He's class, man. It's a shame he's not quite up to it at this level, because he seems like someone you'd love to have around the training ground at the very least. 

Totally, he's a really cracking lad and doesn't owe the club a jot.

Choosing to stay was probably the worst decision he could've made at that time and I really wish he'd gone the other way. I doubt he would ever have actually made it into the national set up but he was definitely on an upward curve under Rafa, shining in particular alongside Longstaff in that run in 2019. A good move would've meant avoiding Bruce and who knows; maybe someone like Potter could have built on Rafa's tuition and elevated him into the England conversation. Now he's back in the Championship and that prospect is barely a spec in the distance. 

But yeah, I liked Hayden despite his limitations. The pingers at Cardiff and Southampton were both cracking finishes and he had plenty good games for us. Huge respect to all the Rafa Champo lads tbh. Hope he has a great season at Norwich.

On 19/04/2022 at 19:13, SweMag said:

No surprise but Isaac is leaving the club in the summer.

Had a knee operation back in December to make sure he’s fit and available for a new club in the summer.

He loved it here. Good luck Isaac!

Out of interest, do player loans have any impact on FFP?  Not that is will be so relevant next season (hopefully), and I guess the resulting fee would go against fair play.   Just a thought as it would be mental to put them all out on loan, only for some to come back 12 months later, with a lower value (shorter remaing contract).  If they are all on an obligation to buy deal (subject to performace), we just have to hope they work out! I

It could be an effective way of reducing the squad and some of our montly costs. 

Edited by Dan Gleebals

23 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Went to uni with a lad from Norwich who supported us as a bairn before realising he should support his hometown team. He always pointed out the amount of linked players between the two clubs. It's another one for the list.

Off the top of my head: Fox, Huckerby, Bellamy, Pattison, Sibierski, Bassong and Jonas. Then you've got Roeder, Clark and Hughton who were involved in management of both and butter boy - who played for them and managed us.

EDIT: Jamal Lewis anarl.

Tim Krul, Grant Hanley

Some nice words if you can stomach the Chronicle website without an adblocker 

But if not...

"I've had fantastic memories at the club," he told Chronicle Live. "Ups and downs throughout it obviously but overall it was a fantastic six years. I've made memories that will last a lifetime for me but it was definitely time in my career to take a different path.

"Football is all about timing and it's time for me to move on and experience a new challenge. The opportunity to go to a club like Norwich with a great structure and a sporting director that I know well in Stuart Webber, once I heard they were interested it was an easy deal to make."

"There were a few factors in 2019 to be honest with you," he continued. "One being the reaction of the fans in the final few games. I knew I had turned it around and was performing well. I knew I was making an impact. That's a big thing for me; when I feel like I'm making an impact or I'm contributing in a leadership role, then I feel like I'm adding value.

"But also another big factor was Rafa Benitez. I knew that he was probably going to go in the summer and he was like a father figure to me. Probably the closest I've been to any of the managers I had. He was a big factor in me joining the club and he improved me massively as a player and a person. But I had in the back of my mind that he was probably going to go at the end of the season due to the political issues between him and Mike [Ashley].

"The club also, with my age profile and experience, saw me as a valuable asset. That summer they pretty much priced me out of any sort of move that I could possibly make. There was interest from other Premier League clubs but the price tag was pretty unrealistic for a player of my level at the time. The prices they were quoting were never going to be met.

"I thought 'there's no point in me seeking an alternative club because it's not going to happen with the way the owners and board were acting so no problem, that's fine, I'll get on and I'm happy to progress here'. I was always focused and always committed to the football club because they gave me a contract and I was always going to honour that contract unless a deal could be struck that suited all parties."

"Sometimes you don't understand the impact you have on a community or a club until you leave," Hayden adds. "It was quite overwhelming the support I received this week, not only from the club internally, the lads, the staff but most importantly the fans that go to the games and support the club through thick and thin.

"There's been times where it hasn't been enjoyable. When it has felt like there's no hope. Believe me, the players at times have felt like that in moments where we felt we couldn't progress as a club and move forward. This ownership is only going to improve the club.

"As I and some of the lads discussed before the season ended, the club is going in a new direction. They're going to be spending money and obviously bringing in high quality players. That's all the players want; you want to get better players in that can help you and help to progress the club.

"The most important thing is the club and its progression. So if that means we contribute in a six-year manner or a two-year manner, and I'm speaking for myself here, I'm just happy to contribute in any way I can to move the club forward. When I joined, we were in the Championship and I'm leaving and we've had five years in the Premier League and we're established. That for me is a success. That's the way I look at it.

"I just want to say thank you for the support. It hasn't gone unnoticed by me or my family, just how supportive the fans have been. Not only in good times but in bad times too. It is something I will never forget. Newcastle will always be a massive part of my life and my daughter's life. She wasn't born there but she has spent most of her life there!"