Mo Diamé to be released

BeloEmre

The game was so loose and there was so much space by the time he went in centre mid its hard to read anything into how he played there IMO

While true if you put Colback in the same situation, i just think he's a far better option than Colback in CM how ever much space there is.

I know tropes about players can become boring forum mythology, but I really think he's being used completely wrongly. He's a languid midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and have the odd drive forward from central midfield. At #10/second striker he is easily marked out of games, lacks the control for tight spaces and doesn't hold the ball up. His goalscoring threat is also negated, because he's better striking from distance than playing back to goal and sniffing in and around the box.

It's pissing me off including Colback in CM and accomodating Diame further forward in a position he's no good at. It's clearly because Colback is seen as a 'safe' holding option to compliment Shelvey. As if it's not possible to get away with two midfielders who's first thought is to play progressively. IMO - this is bollocks, you can completely get away with it at this level. Especially when the alternative offers so little technically, tactically and physically.

I know tropes about players can become boring forum mythology, but I really think he's being used completely wrongly. He's a languid midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and have the odd drive forward from central midfield. At #10/second striker he is easily marked out of games, lacks the control for tight spaces and doesn't hold the ball up. His goalscoring threat is also negated, because he's better striking from distance than playing back to goal and sniffing in and around the box.

It's pissing me off including Colback in CM and accomodating Diame further forward in a position he's no good at. It's clearly because Colback is seen as a 'safe' holding option to compliment Shelvey. As if it's not possible to get away with two midfielders who's first thought is to play progressively. IMO - this is bollocks, you can completely get away with it at this level. Especially when the alternative offers so little technically, tactically and physically.

I don't agree with that, though, and I think it's the biggest reason for why he's in the team. Balls from deep often do reach him, and I'd say that about 75% of the time he does keep the play moving. He's not amazing at it but better than others in the squad; chiefly Perez, who's rarely stepped up as Diame's only competitor for the position.

There was a fairly recent game where he and Shelvey played CM together and we were cut through, tbf. I don't really disagree, mind, as Colback is utter pants at everything.

I agree, the only problem is that I don't know who is better than him to play number 10 unless Perez can get his shit together.

A total fluke is when it hits a player unknowingly and diverts into the goal. Although it arrived at him accidentally and spun over everyone in the net, he definitely repositioned his body to direct the ball goalwards. He made it happen and it was a clever piece of improvisation.