Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

51 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Who do I have an opinion on now?

I'll say how i've got to any conclusions. E.g. Botman - only seen Youtube clips and looked at stats from statsbomb / fbref. I say it with my chest - I don't pretend to know these players closely outside a few competitions and teams that I follow very closely.

You have an opinion on every single player we're ever linked to (I mean, everyone who posts on here does) so I found your statement a little ironic.

39 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

You have an opinion on every single player we're ever linked to (I mean, everyone who posts on here does) so I found your statement a little ironic.

Not a strong one. I state the limitations and logic. Again with Botman, no idea if he's good or not. Looks a unit, expect him to be good in the air, looks a little slow - that's it. Paqueta - looks very talented. Everything i've seen has stated he's played primarily as a 10 for Lyon. Some have suggested he'll come in and play 8 - which concerns me. If you play 10 in ligue 1, I struggle to see how you can play 8 in the PL.

I state opinions with logic and limitations. And people who are convinced one way or another - get mad at it.

It wasn’t his fault at all but I grew to really dislike Clark. He was brilliant for us in the Championship and was decent as cover in the Premier but watching Bruce pick him ahead of clearly better defenders in Schar and Fernandez was infuriating. Couple that with game costing errors every couple of weeks and it was inevitable that Howe would axe him. 

Sensible move all round. Let’s hope Gayle, Jeffrey and the Darloid follow suit shortly.

Forgive me for not being an accountant but shifting them on for nowt doesn’t really matter either way due to amortisation of their original deal does it?

Short answer is, probably not. 

We bought him for £10m on a 5 year contract back in 16/17. (Edit, I'm talking about Gayle here rather than Clark. Clark was £5m but the same applies.) So that fee should all be written off by now and it shouldn't affect us if he goes for nothing.

There's just the complication of any wages on the remainder of their contracts. If you take Gayle, on £2m a year, I'd be surprised if all those were covered by the buying club and so you might take a one-off hit for the difference. But you never know - depends on the deal.

Edited by Abacus

15 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Short answer is, probably not. 

We bought him for £10m on a 5 year contract back in 16/17. So that fee should all be written off by now and it shouldn't affect us if he goes for nothing.

There's just the complication of any wages on the remainder of their contracts. If you take Gayle, on £2m a year, I'd be surprised if all those were covered by the buying club and so you might take a one-off hit for the difference. But you never know - depends on the deal.

Thought so, was just thinking around FFP and whatnot. Likewise Hayden would’ve fallen under that. Obviously getting a nominal fee and not subsidising would be ideal albeit is unlikely.

On 11/07/2022 at 09:12, JP said:

Botman in, Clark out.

The Ashworth effect of one in one out continues.

See Hendrick/Gayle training with U23's and it gives you a nice 2+2=4 about our next incomings.

Who goes if we sign a right winger then?

He did well for us in the Championship and some of the premier league seasons. but lost his way in the last few years, it is disappointing that we are only able to loan these players out rather than sell them and get some income for transfers.

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

He did well for us in the Championship and some of the premier league seasons. but lost his way in the last few years, it is disappointing that we are only able to loan these players out rather than sell them and get some income for transfers.

Problem is they’re crap.  

2 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Disappointing but not at all surprising

They aren't particularly good and are on wages beyond their actual level, so loan is the most realistic outcome 

Hopefully Clark loves it so much that he pushes for a move next summer with reduced wages

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

Disappointing but not at all surprising

They aren't particularly good and are on wages beyond their actual level, so loan is the most realistic outcome 

Hopefully Clark loves it so much that he pushes for a move next summer with reduced wages

His contract is up next summer.