Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You've just got to admire what Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading have done this season, the pressure on us is immense, they've all had this uncanny ability of snatching victories from losing positions, this is one aspect, Norwich at home apart, we've not been able to do. Looking at the stats and highlights from last night, we should have won that game at a canter.

You've just got to admire what Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading have done this season, the pressure on us is immense, they've all had this uncanny ability of snatching victories from losing positions, this is one aspect, Norwich at home apart, we've not been able to do. Looking at the stats and highlights from last night, we should have won that game at a canter.

It definitely felt like two points dropped yesterday rather than a point won. We put them under pressure with an early goal, then handed them two goals to turn it back on us instead. Then to make matters worse we were just as wasteful at the other end of the pitch missing so many chances. That said, we've won plenty of games recently despite playing poorly so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

I didn't have any confidence in us getting anything when we fell behind yesterday so I'm viewing it as a point gained against an in form team with a good home record.

Hopefully the fact we won the point from a losing position means we can carry on the momentum next Monday

It definitely felt like two points dropped yesterday rather than a point won. We put them under pressure with an early goal, then handed them two goals to turn it back on us instead. Then to make matters worse we were just as wasteful at the other end of the pitch missing so many chances. That said, we've won plenty of games recently despite playing poorly so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

The next 5 games will tell us all we need to go if we are going up automatically at a canter or it's going to be twitchy bum time until the end of the season. We really in my opinion need to beat either Brighton or Hudderfield and draw the other one to stop those 2 who I see as the main threat making ground. However the next 2 home games are pivitol in all this and anything less than 2 wins will really start the alarms going. After those 5 games our run in is not too bad - we don't go up this year Rafa will by away (and he might if we do anyway) someone like Pardew will be in the job (and don't put money on it wouldn't be him either) and this club will be in no mans land for years to come until the fat c*** finally decides he has had enough.

The next 5 games will tell us all we need to go if we are going up automatically at a canter or it's going to be twitchy bum time until the end of the season. We really in my opinion need to beat either Brighton or Hudderfield and draw the other one to stop those 2 who I see as the main threat making ground. However the next 2 home games are pivitol in all this and anything less than 2 wins will really start the alarms going. After those 5 games our run in is not too bad - we don't go up this year Rafa will by away (and he might if we do anyway) someone like Pardew will be in the job (and don't put money on it wouldn't be him either) and this club will be in no mans land for years to come until the fat c*** finally decides he has had enough.

I think we've got to give credit to Brighton and Huddersfield as well tbh. Brighton don't have a deep squad, but their first 11 is comparable to ours. Huddersfield are well organised and have a savvy manager who I liked the look of even after our first meeting with them this season. We have a fight on our hands to get automatic promotion, but we are still 5 points clear and that's a handy gap. They are going to drop points as well.

I think we've got to give credit to Brighton and Huddersfield as well tbh. Brighton don't have a deep squad, but their first 11 is comparable to ours. Huddersfield are well organised and have a savvy manager who I liked the look of even after our first meeting with them this season. We have a fight on our hands to get automatic promotion, but we are still 5 points clear and that's a handy gap. They are going to drop points as well.

I agree to a point on the first bit and agree with the second bit currently but will that change come the completion of the Huddersfield game? Still wish Rafa would play his most creative team and not be as negative in games and nobody can tell me why Colback and Gouffran keep getting games when they offer little/nothing to the team.

Think we'll go up. Need to get into a good run of form these next few games- need 2 wins from Villa and Bristol (H) before 3 tough away games at Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading and then Fulham (H). Come through them without losing more than 1 and I think its more or less going to be difficult for us to drop to 3rd.

Agree with all of this.

I'm now of the opinion that all evening championship games should kick off at the same time, otherwise the chasing pack gain an advantage, particularly where we kick of at 7.45pm and the likes of Reading kick off at 8.00pm.

Take Tuesday night for example.  Reading were drawing 2-2 when they must have heard we had only drawn our game at Norwich.  This then gave them the impetus in the last 15 minutes to chase down a winner where they may otherwise have settled for a point and avoiding defeat.

I'm now of the opinion that all evening championship games should kick off at the same time, otherwise the chasing pack gain an advantage, particularly where we kick of at 7.45pm and the likes of Reading kick off at 8.00pm.

Take Tuesday night for example.  Reading were drawing 2-2 when they must have heard we had only drawn our game at Norwich.  This then gave them the impetus in the last 15 minutes to chase down a winner where they may otherwise have settled for a point and avoiding defeat.

True. Because Reading players have the power to just win the match if they want to. Must be great when they all agree to win.

Even though our form suggests otherwise, I'm concerned about those three away games in a row vs 2nd-4th, I think it'll be make or break, even though we're set up so much better to play away than at home.

But as others have said, we perform better against better teams (usually). I'm not as confident as the bookies on 1/20 though, I hope they prove me wrong.

Everyone was panicking about Reading and Leeds a while back. Huddersfield look a good side but I doubt they can keep this form up.

Totally agree. Lots of people are talking as if they're going to win every game between now and the end of the season, when they're not. We already effectively have a 6 point lead on them so can afford to lose 4 games and still be ahead or level with them at worst. Our game against them isn't must win, it's a must not lose.

Everyone was panicking about Reading and Leeds a while back. Huddersfield look a good side but I doubt they can keep this form up.

Totally agree. Lots of people are talking as if they're going to win every game between now and the end of the season, when they're not. We already effectively have a 6 point lead on them so can afford to lose 4 games and still be ahead or level with them at worst. Our game against them isn't must win, it's a must not lose.

:thup:

True. Because Reading players have the power to just win the match if they want to. Must be great when they all agree to win.

That's a very pedantic view.

You are probably too young to remember this, but many years ago the mackems got relegated because Coventry and another team, might have been West ham, who were both relegation candidates, kicked off late because of traffic problems.

When the mackems game finished, they were told the score at half time and they realised that if they drew they would both be safe. If either of them won the match, then the other would be relegated.  Accordingly, they both played out an entire half not putting each others goal under pressure. Thats why on the final day of each season all teams kick off at 3pm in order to avoid just that scenario happening again.

Whilst the likes of Reading have no god given right to win a game that they a drawing, they can still bust a gut trying to win it, especially if we had lost and they realised they could catch us if they won all three points.  Hypothetical, I know, but if it happened and we missed out on a promotion spot we would all be spitting feathers at the unfairness of it.

That's a very pedantic view.

You are probably too young to remember this, but many years ago the mackems got relegated because Coventry and another team, might have been West ham, who were both relegation candidates, kicked off late because of traffic problems.

When the mackems game finished, they were told the score at half time and they realised that if they drew they would both be safe. If either of them won the match, then the other would be relegated.  Accordingly, they both played out an entire half not putting each others goal under pressure. Thats why on the final day of each season all teams kick off at 3pm in order to avoid just that scenario happening again.

Whilst the likes of Reading have no god given right to win a game that they a drawing, they can still bust a gut trying to win it, especially if we had lost and they realised they could catch us if they won all three points.  Hypothetical, I know, but if it happened and we missed out on a promotion spot we would all be spitting feathers at the unfairness of it.

We'd be more angry at our own team and plenty of other factors before a Reading game kicking off 15 mins after us in the middle of the season.

It was suggested Sky were helping Leicester to win the title by showing all of their games before Spurs, so that Spurs were constantly playing catchup and demoralised them.

Does make sense, but could also have the opposite effect (as Hans has just said).

Doesn't really matter though does it - the best team over the course of the season goes up/wins the league.