Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd have sent him packing based on what we got last year and I still think Murphy would be a better option but he's been a different player to last season. Deserves his place.

I don't think Rafa quite trusted him to start, but I think he showed enough in cameos to suggest he can handle the Premier League. He's quick, direct, good feet and seems a real threat. I thought he was very good against Spurs, but poor against Huddersfield. I haven't seen today, but by all accounts he played very well as did the whole team it seems.

He's more intelligent than a lot of wingers as well, rarely runs into a dead end.

You can tell that in his finishing, he's quite cool one on one. That free kick at the end of last season as well....absolutely lush.

• 3 weeks later...

Prolly should have shot earlier in the incident leading to the pen claim.

Now maybe someone can correct me on the rules, but if Zouma did get the ball a bit as the ref claimed, and I think he may have from replays, he didn't seem to take the ball away from Atsu regardless, and the move was ended not by him losing the ball from the tackle but by being taken out. Presuming Zouma disappeared at that moment it looked like Atsu was still through. The pundits seemed to suggest merely touching the ball enough for it not to be a foul, but I presume winning the ball implies taking it away from Atsu.

You could see with him in the last 5-6 games of the Championship season that it had started to click. Great signing at the price we paid; and clearly using him in rotation last season has allowed him to bed in and gradually improve his game without too much pressure on him.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Bodes well Rafa would rather play an injured Atsu over Murphy or Aarons.

12 months ago you could have quite easily said that it bodes well that Rafa would rather play an injured Gouffran over Atsu. I think Rafa just likes to take his time with players who aren't ready yet.