Newcastle United 0-1 Blackburn Rovers - 26/11/2016 - post-match from page 11

Yorkie

Guest alijmitchell

We're going to have to find an answer against well drilled teams who look to stifle us at home. Hardly anyone is going to come here trying to play football. We really need to start well.

We're far too easy to play at home, Blackburn came with 2 banks of four and the 2 strikers pressing our back line. And playing Mitrovic puts pressure on our midfield. Nevertheless, not going to win them all. Onto Hull.

In the end, he just stopped jumping for headers man

Pathetic how many challenges he lost today

We're far too easy to play at home, Blackburn came with 2 banks of four and the 2 strikers pressing our back line. And playing Mitrovic puts pressure on our midfield. Nevertheless, not going to win them all. Onto Hull.

It's not only that. When he plays the opposition's back line moves forward 10 yards as the only thing we do is boot the ball to him to win; the opposition defenders win the vast majority of the challenges and can move forward as they don't need to worry about him running in behind which gives our midfield less space to play in and pick out passes due to the reduced space in front of the opposition's bank of 4. Gayle counteracts that as defenders are worried about his pace and his runs, some of which he gambles on a la his second at Leeds. Mitrovic doesn't do that.

:lol: Because the ball was hit in the air nowhere near him and if he challenged he'd have gave a foul away.

He won countless flick ons, passes etc. and didnt have a single person anywhere near him going for the second ball. The problem was the players supposed to be around him being nowhere near him.

Perez, Ritchie, Hayden, Atsu, Mbemba were all worse than him today. People have a ridiculous dislike for him for no reason whatsoever and get at him the second we lose or he doesn't singlehandedly win us the game.

The lack of subs after halftime was alarming everyone could see Perez and Mitro were not getting a look in so I think waiting until the 85th minute to make one with the depth of squad we have was a bit daft.

:lol: Because the ball was hit in the air nowhere near him and if he challenged he'd have gave a foul away.

He won countless flick ons, passes etc. and didnt have a single person anywhere near him going for the second ball. The problem was the players supposed to be around him being nowhere near him.

Perez, Ritchie, Hayden, Atsu, Mbemba were all worse than him today. People have a ridiculous dislike for him for no reason whatsoever and get at him the second we lose or he doesn't singlehandedly win us the game.

:lol:

Nah, not having that like.

I'm a Mitrovic fan but to say he won countless amounts of flick ons is a complete load of rubbish, it was the Blackburn centre halves winning the flick ons!

Yes the service was bad for him today, but to lose as many challenges as he did today was canny poor

Guest firetotheworks

The predictions in the pre match thread, 3-0, 4-0 etc

We didn't know the line up tbf.

We're chalk and cheese at home, regardless of the line-up tbh. We've had some big, comfortable wins achieved at a canter - juxtaposed with some inexplicable, listless defeats against weak sides.

Could easily have spanked them if everyone had a good day, as we have done on other occasions this season. I don't think the team selection is the reason why we lost.

Don't agree with that. The losses were early on when we were finding our feet. We've been dominant at home and away for a while now with mainly the same team with the odd change to right back, centre mid. This match had changes in every department and it was a bit too much. Shelvey and Gayle are our undroppable players imo. Those two in and the other changes might have done it, but I think Rafa pushed it overall and we got what we deserved.

Massive overreaction IMO, when have we lost with Mitrovic in the team? i don't really remember it happening much. Then you are looking at Atsu and Mbemba instead of Lascelles and Gouffran, so i don't see how the line up is to blame here.

We just played badly and got punished for it for the first time since Wolves, don't particularly see how the lineup is to blame.

There were 6 changes though. Like I said, a few would have maybe been fine, making that many was asking for trouble.

The result is hardly a disaster considering we had a decent cushion at the top, but it's disappointing that those players who haven't had much time on the pitch didn't do more, especially the forwards. At least we'll keep our feet on the ground now and hopefully understand why Rafa doesn't take too many chances with an adventurous line up at this stage of the season.

A bad day at the office from us, but not a game I thought we deserved to lose, a draw would have been fair.

The referee though, he was danger out there. Our players being thrown to the ground, no foul given, players down with head injuries and he waves play on. He gave them everything and us nothing.

We were off the pace from the kick off today. Most disappointing was the lack of any reaction at the start of the 2nd half. Hayden, Atsu, Ritchie and Perez were all poor today. This resulted in Shelvey looking for Hollywood balls and Mitrovic losing heart.

Rafa should have changed tactics and brought Gayle on a lot earlier. Had we started with Gayle, Gouffran and dare I say Colback, I'm fairly confident we'd have won. Atsu and Hayden offered nothing today.