Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I know I’m in the minority here - and will be shot to bits for saying this - but he’s really not that much better than Obertan. 

Completely agree.

Nah, he's a lot better than Obertan. At least he's direct and can kick a football most of the time. Obertan was absolutely nothing. Should never have made it as a pro. 

6 minutes ago, Klaus said:

His pace is a great asset, coming on against tired legs, but he just doesn't have the composure to make it at the top level, unfortunately. I don't doubt he has talent, but I don't know how you can coach mental strength or self confidence. You either have it, or you don't.

I agree with you, however it must be rough for him hitting the post 4/5 times in a row this season.. if even a couple of those went in we'd probably be speaking differently about his confidence. Unfortunate for him tbh, seems a nice lad but hes been here 5 years now and its time to move on this summer I think. 

13 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I know I’m in the minority here - and will be shot to bits for saying this - but he’s really not that much better than Obertan. 

Well I've seen him wing over the odd peach of a cross, maybe one every four appearances, I can't remember Obertan even producing one.

He does often threaten to score as well, he'll hit the post or the bar. It's not great, but Obertan used to slow down the closer he got to the goal until eventually he turned round and started running the other way.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well I've seen him wing over the odd peach of a cross, maybe one every four appearances, I can't remember Obertan even producing one.

He does often threaten to score as well, he'll hit the post or the bar. It's not great, but Obertan used to slow down the closer he got to the goal until eventually he turned round and started running the other way.

Saint Max esque [emoji38]

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

First goal in 2 years, you probably picked out his career highlights in that one game. :lol:

To be fair I'd forgotten all about that goal [emoji38] I was looking for the only one of his I remember that he scored on the break against Palace? But I dont think its even made it to youtube [emoji38]

3 hours ago, David Edgar said:

I maintain that Obertan had the technical and physical ability to be a strong player for us but sadly had the mentality of a small frightened gerbil. 

Got to disagree, I thought he was absolutely shit 😂

Obertan was one of the most frustrating players i've seen in my life, he looked like he had all the tools but he would dribble when he need to pass, shoots when he needs to pass, passes when he can dribble, everything he did was wrong most of the times.

31 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

At the time in the ground when they broke I never fancied them to finish it because Murphy was involved. 

Nah, didn't even get excited really. 

Murphy is "alright". He has moments of quality but also some genuinely unbelievable mistakes which you don't see very often at this level. Like really bad, silly stuff. 

Don't mind the guy but he's not a Premier League player.

36 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Obertan was one of the most frustrating players i've seen in my life, he looked like he had all the tools but he would dribble when he need to pass, shoots when he needs to pass, passes when he can dribble, everything he did was wrong most of the times.

Agreed. In football-brain terms he was as thick as pig shit.

I can't help but like Murphy, think he thought he was passing that chance yesterday to someone other than Fraser and wasn't expecting it back. It just hasn't quite clicked for him but there has been moments, unlike that total waste of space Obertan, what a donkey that bloke was. 

Murphy has been shocking from day one for the Toon.

However, he intrigues me as I feel there could be a footballer in there.  He absolutely is the player that frustrates me the most ...... and Almiron.

35 minutes ago, Rod said:

Murphy has been shocking from day one for the Toon.

However, he intrigues me as I feel there could be a footballer in there.  He absolutely is the player that frustrates me the most ...... and Almiron.

It's so frustrating that he has the raw materials to be a good winger, but just hasn't learnt the stuff that can be coached, like how to put away a 2 vs 1 overlap or what balls to put in and when.

The blokes been here 5 years, and he still can't do things that you'd expect school boys to do. Such a shame, because he has the things you can't teach and a great personality, but there comes a time when you have to accept that he just isn't going to develop into a PL level player.

Massive waste, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he ever will at PL level.

• 2 months later...