Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Wanting an attacking player to be sat down after two months of basically fuck all is hardly "knee jerk" like. Miggy's added little outside his usual graft & endeavour since Christmas, it's reasonable to suggest he needs a rest and the team freshening up. He might well have more impact as a sub against tired legs & earn his place back.

Mind, Murphy isn't the answer either. I'd want Gordon in the side for a little run to see what he can offer.

I’m definitely in the rest Almiron, Wilson and Burn camp. Bring in Isak, Targett and Gordon for a few games. 

It doesn’t have to be a permanent change but a refresh and to see what a change and a rest brings. 

6 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Anyone but Miggy? Anyone but our most hard working top scorer?

Him and a handful of others seem to be running on empty at the moment. No harm in giving him a rest when he's a wee bit out of form regardless if he's scored the most for us or not.

Thought Murphy did really well when he come on, has done a few times as a sub this season tbf, but I don't want him starting games. 

I'd go with either a front 3 of Gordon, Isak and ASM or an attacking 4 in 4-2-3-1 of Gordon, Isak, ASM and Wilson. That's only if Wilson absolutely has to start.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Thought Murphy did really well when he come on, has done a few times as a sub this season tbf, but I don't want him starting games. 

I'd go with either a front 3 of Gordon, Isak and ASM or an attacking 4 in 4-2-3-1 of Gordon, Isak, ASM and Wilson. That's only if Wilson absolutely has to start.

I agree with all that.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. This lad deserves sooooo much credit. He's genuinely a good option for us and I never though he could even be that.

He's direct running is really useful and he grafts his arse off.

He’s just something different and he’s fairly consistent these days. I think we’re past where we’re comparing players in certain positions, what we had today was good use of the squad.

He’ll be dependable without ever really taking that big leap in terms of performances, but that’s fine. We need a strong squad and he’s one of those characters who brings positivity and obviously is living the dream playing for the club he supports.

Great team player got his rewards today with a start and a very good selfless performance.

On a side note I found out today he turned up to support a charity my friend is involved in and helped raise £35k and has pledged to match the amount also. Seems a lovely lad. Pleased for him.

Almost a fan of his now.

Limited in a lot of ways but has always cared a lot about the cause and does have his strengths. 

Would love him to score and get a chance to go mental in front of the Gallowgate. 

Be interesting to see if Miggy comes back in. 

‘On the rare occasion Murphy does start, Newcastle’s underlying metrics improve across every department. Newcastle are unbeaten (five wins and one draw), score more goals (2.67 to 1.48), concede fewer (0.67 to 0.72), win more frequently (win ratio of 83.3 per cent, compared to 44.0 per cent) and collect a higher number of points per game (2.67 to 1.76)’

Those are crazy stats although such a small sample size

Howe’s done what he always does. The best thing about Murphy now is his decision making, he’s playing with confidence and because of that he’s delivering good balls and making the right runs which is reinforcing his confidence as he can see he’s contributing. I think it’s too early to say he could be a really useful squad option going forward but if he keeps up his performances until the end of the season he’ll be deserving of staying with the team into next season 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Howe’s done what he always does. The best thing about Murphy now is his decision making, he’s playing with confidence and because of that he’s delivering good balls and making the right runs which is reinforcing his confidence as he can see he’s contributing. I think it’s too early to say he could be a really useful squad option going forward but if he keeps up his performances until the end of the season he’ll be deserving of staying with the team into next season 

His decision making is better than Maxi's, now. I couldn't imagine saying this 9 months ago, but Murphy is in and around the starting XI purely on merit, he offers so much. He's got the confidence to have a go with the ball, OK it rarely comes off, but just having that attacking mentality opens doors and draws players in and creates space for others. He gets in areas to have a shot, works tirelessly off the ball, and has genuine pace.

I'm going to ruin my agreeable opening paragraph with something controversial and say that in my opinion, I think our strongest 11 doesn't feature Almiron or even Maxi right now. 

17 minutes ago, HawK said:

He's got the confidence to have a go with the ball, OK it rarely comes off, but just having that attacking mentality opens doors and draws players in and creates space for others. He gets in areas to have a shot, works tirelessly off the ball, and has genuine pace.

That's one thing I'm liking about him off the bench. In games when there's been little in the way of chances he'll at the very least have a shot or two.

21 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Almiron was a level above when he came on like, I can understand not dropping Murphy from the XI though. Being in a position where that's the case is great as he was absolutely tragic in pre-season.

He was. People are going around like he has turned a corner. Hes a likable player/person that does the basics (something all PL players should deliver). Should he start ahead of our top scorer? No.

Every team needs a dependable workhorse type. A player who’s not going to light it up, but who can be relied upon to execute. Howe clearly trusts him, and I imagine he’ll have a place in the squad for the next few years.