Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Not sure about a start but shows his value as a squad player. He dared have a pop at goal when we seemed impotent and defended really well when required. 

That RW position needs some serious investment. 

Was a positive sub yesterday and I never thought I'd say that.

As said above, he dared to have a go and that's what it is all about. Too many players lacking confidence to just have a go, or they're just completely burnt out.

1 hour ago, Ronson333 said:

Watching the slow mo of that shot curling past the post, couldn’t believe our luck that it didn’t go in.

A bit like Wilson v Arsenal every time I see the replay in slow-mo I still expect it to go in. 

24 minutes ago, NE27 said:

As said above, he dared to have a go and that's what it is all about. Too many players lacking confidence to just have a go, or they're just completely burnt out.

Dunno why I'm a Murphy fanboy all of a sudden but he's been canny from the bench most of the season imo, particularly since Christmas. Got a hell of a knack of winning possession. 

I would like to see him start because Miggy is predictable, it's something different and he's deserved it.

Yeah I might be being a little unfair on him tbh[emoji38]

On a vaguely related note, I sat next to his twin in las iguanas outside wembley after the game and what I can only assume was his parents, proper double take as they are identical.

5 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Yeah I might be being a little unfair on him tbh[emoji38]

On a vaguely related note, I sat next to his twin in las iguanas outside wembley after the game and what I can only assume was his parents, proper double take as they are identical.

Currently at Oxford. Remember when people thought we'd signed the worst of the two.

52 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I don’t mind him at all as a squad player - he’s more than useful 

He gets played on the right which allows his to go direct and go on the outside, none of our other players really have that opportunity. 

I'm convinced some team will go back to conventional wingers at some point and start to do well - defenders are so used to defending against everyone trying to cut inside.

Guess people like Man City get into the channels and cut back a lot, it's just inside rather than out wide.  

Likable lad, got some strengths to his game but also some glaring weaknesses, tries his best but sadly is not good enough long term, is still good to have around the squad for the time being. Same comments apply to several of the current squad tbh

3 hours ago, Dandy Man said:

Likable lad, got some strengths to his game but also some glaring weaknesses, tries his best but sadly is not good enough long term, is still good to have around the squad for the time being. Same comments apply to several of the current squad tbh

Yeah I’ve always said if he’s number 25 in our 25 man squad then he’ll do for me - cameos here and there - a proper NUFC fan too 

in the short term keep him 

So many knee jerk folk on here.

Miggy has been one of our most important players this season. 

You cant just drop him based on 5min cameos here or there from Murphy. 

I like that Howe trusts his team and doesn't chop/change constantly. You earn the jersey, and you lose or win it over many many games. 

Same for ASM. He comes on for cameo, plays well and everyone wants him in the team. He has average game in final and everyone wants him dropped.

3 minutes ago, arnonel said:

So many knee jerk folk on here.

Miggy has been one of our most important players this season. 

You cant just drop him based on 5min cameos here or there from Murphy. 

I like that Howe trusts his team and doesn't chop/change constantly. You earn the jersey, and you lose or win it over many many games. 

Same for ASM. He comes on for cameo, plays well and everyone wants him in the team. He has average game in final and everyone wants him dropped.

Isn't that idea of having a squad though? Almiron was playing well and deserved his place in the team. Now fans are of the opinion that he isn't and think that Gordon or Murphy have shown enough in their cameos to suggest they should be given a run. The same goes for Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Isn't that idea of having a squad though? Almiron was playing well and deserved his place in the team. Now fans are of the opinion that he isn't and think that Gordon or Murphy have shown enough in their cameos to suggest they should be given a run. The same goes for Wilson. 

Of course.

I just dont think we change every game based on a good/bad performance. 

My point, which may be lost in the waffle, is:

Player earns the jersey. Even if he has a few bad games, we stick with him. 

Then if someone takes over the jersey, we stick with him next.

1 minute ago, arnonel said:

Of course.

I just dont think we change every game based on a good/bad performance. 

My point, which may be lost in the waffle, is:

Player earns the jersey. Even if he has a few bad games, we stick with him. 

Then if someone takes over the jersey, we stick with him next.

That's fair enough and very much seems to be how Howe like to operate. 

I don't think it's knee-jerk to suggest that Isak deserves a run in the team ahead of Wilson. It's not as clear cut with Almiron, but I do think he could benefit from a rest. 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That's fair enough and very much seems to be how Howe like to operate. 

I don't think it's knee-jerk to suggest that Isak deserves a run in the team ahead of Wilson. It's not as clear cut with Almiron, but I do think he could benefit from a rest. 

Agreed. Was going to say the same thing.

Counter argument is giving players a rest. Think Miggy deserves one - but shirt should still be his.

I don't know if anything was confirmed, but there was talk that Miggy was allowed to leave his international camp during the world cup break due to severe muscle exhaustion wasn't there? It's plausible he needs a prolonged rest to get himself back closer to where he was.