Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

He just needs to settle down. He keeps on going for the shot or to take things first time instead of passing/crossing to someone in a better position or taking a touch. Once he's got the need to be a hero out of his system he's be much better.

Obviously really early days. But it still seems odd that we spent such a huge chunk of our budget on him? Not really a position that needed strengthening as much as others and he perhaps seems one for the future. When we are desperate for players who can make an immediate impact. 

Can only think Rafa genuinely believed he would be getting more money and Ashley clearly did shaft him with his bullshit.

Atsu has had more playing time in the top league and trained with better players too. Jacob did well I think, if he takes his own physical development seriously he could achieve a lot here. He has way more potential than Atsu, that's what we bought.

And by physical development I mean working harder in the gym, building upper body strength and working on conditioning.

An extreme example of what I'm talking about is Ronaldo or Gareth Bale.. both skinny skilful pacey twats when they were first in the PL but both worked out like freaks to become supreme athletes. A massive part of both of their games now.

Just to be clear, I'm not comparing Murphy to the players mentioned above. Just highlighting the ethos of getting the most of your physical capabilities..

He'll be fine. He reminded me a little of Merino vs Huddersfield - simply caught out by the pace, a little nervous. He has the tools to succeed long term but it's going to be his brain that gets him some short-term success for this season. Once his head 'gets' the tempo & how to cover his limitations, he'll be very useful.

My gut feel is that he'll come good but I'm struggling to see the logic in investing such a large portion of our transfer budget in a player with potential when we're playing in such a demanding league in terms of 'results now'.

I trust in him to work hard though especially given his affinity with the club, it would matter more to him, you'd think.

On a general note, you have to say that Rafa has signed some really solid characters. He's not taken any chances with the squad morale by taking a risk on a tosser or two.

Murphy, Merino, Ritchie, even Murphy last season, Yedlin etc etc etc are all good lads.

I guess Lazaar was the only slight exception but I'm sure he'd have been fine if he'd had more games.

Results now players would cost more than we'd have been prepped to pay. Guess Charners and Barnes were looking at it from the POV if Murphy fulfils even half his potential we'll make a profit back on the fee plus he'll be on relatively low wages for someone carrying that fee.

Results now players would cost more than we'd have been prepped to pay. Guess Charners and Barnes were looking at it from the POV if Murphy fulfils even half his potential we'll make a profit back on the fee plus he'll be on relatively low wages for someone carrying that fee.

Exactly - and you've seen where the policy has got us. Relegated twice.

I'd hasten a guess that Rafa thought he had a greater budget left than he actually had as Murphy was fairly early in the window from memory.