Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Not willing to give up on him just yet, he's really on had bits of games, outside of the start against Swansea, which admittedly was poor. Think he needs to learn what Rafa requires of his wide men first before he gains his trust. Been a little disappointed in Atsu, so far, that position is up for grabs if Murphy can step it up, but right now he's a long way off Atsu.

What, really? I've thought Atsu is an automatic starter and rightly so, he has his moments but mostly he has been one of the most improved players for me this year.

He's capable of so much better, his final ball and decision making has be terrible on the whole this season. Having said that he is an automatic starter because he works hard up and down, does what Rafa wants him to do and has been put under zero pressure from Murphy, with Aarons seemingly out of the picture.

Guest firetotheworks

Needs to start showing just something, something. At the moment he's not shown anything tbh. I'm sure he's got it and needs to work towards it, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Needs to start showing just something, something. At the moment he's not shown anything tbh. I'm sure he's got it and needs to work towards it, but I haven't seen anything yet.

I agree he’s not shown much, but he’s one for the future who Rafa has identified that he can shape into the type of player he wants. He’s very raw at the minute and it will take time. The thing I have noticed about him that he’s quicker to get back and help out in defence than other wingers, this is something Rafa will have identified as an asset in him.

I have no idea why we spent most of our budget on a fringe player honestly..

Because Rafa was probably optimistic enough to think it wasn't most of our budget.

Aye. We signed him before they started changing their tune behind the scenes IMO. Plus he's young and English, so they'll have been easier to convince.

Guest neesy111

Is Aarons not a better option at this point like?

I think a few people who watch the reserves/u21's say he's been poor for them.  So seems options are limited.

Norwich-supporting workmate was gutted when we signed him, so he can't be a poor player.

Maybe it's confidence, or pressure, or adjusting to a new area, or any number of other things, but I don't doubt he'll have some talent in him.

Or maybe he's only come on for a few minutes most of the time when we aren't in the ascendancy. He's had nowhere near enough time to make a judgement on. Has he even had a minute of PL football at St James' yet?

He played against Forest at home in the League Cup and was absolutely terrible. Not sure he's had any league minutes at home.

Either way, strange that we spent a big chunk of money on a player who doesn't seem to be ready for top flight football. Probably doesn't help that he only comes on when we are on the back foot, not in games we are comfortably winning.

• 2 weeks later...