Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Manquillo is good enough to be a back up full back next year. So is Dummett arguably when you consider home grown quotas for next couple of years.

However for someone to be good back up you need to know they are robust physically and going to be available to cover.

Due to their injury records we should therefore move them on.

5 hours ago, HTT II said:

He’s another I’d like to see us get rid of in the summer should we stay up. We need a big clear out of all the poor to average players we currently have and he’s been one since he signed basically, as good a professional as he is. I hope we be ruthless in the summer because it’s needed.

See, this is exactly why I have a hierarchy. When we went down under Rafa and had a clear out we got rid of about a dozen. Man City did the same the first summer after their takeover. I think unless you've got a squad largely out of contract it's very difficult to move more than 12 on and replace them. 

We have three players out of contract this summer: Schar, Dummett, and Sean Longstaff. There's talk of all the first two staying, and even Longstaff has some benefit as a homegrown player.

We have eight players that are out of contract next summer. Of that group I could see Shelvey and Woodman staying. That would allow you to try and move on Gillespie, Clark, Fernandez, Krafth, Ritchie and Matty Longstaff. Where I think we might struggle is in getting rid of people like Dwight Gayle, Karl Darlow, Jamal Lewis etc. They're all still on decent contracts (Murphy is somehow signed up until 2027) and while we can just take a hit, we should be somewhat aware of FFP. 

That's why I suggest anyone that can be a serviceable depth piece should and will likely hang around. It's those pushed to third and fourth choice that will be first on the list to go.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Played really well. Probably our best starting player along with Joelinton. Not that the bar was set very high. 

I can see why they are after a right back and perhaps a certain type. As it was highlighted even further when he was missing and then when he came on. Just how much of our play goes through Trippier. 

Still, I’d rather we look at a midfielder and attacking player, first. Then cover for left back before right back. 

Yeah thought be did well. Was quite impressed seeing as we haven't seen him for a good while. His fitness was sharp and looked like our only outlet for the first 20 mins. 

Made me feel better if trips gets injured but we would have to change tactics. 

Scary how reliant we are on Trips and Bruno. 

And Pope. 

Maybe Botman's spell of not losing is only with Pope in the side!! 

He was alright going forward last night but was poor defensively. His performance against Palace in the cup was probably the worst of any individual player this season that I've seen - although luckily for him only people at the game had the misfortune of watching it. Make no bones about it we'd struggle massively without Trippier in the PL and we desperately need a new right back to push him.

Edited by ponsaelius

• 2 months later...