Mikel Merino (now playing for Real Sociedad)

Disco

love merino, think he could become a great player

fewming

Same. Honestly think he is our most talented player in the squad, with the most potential. Madness to let him go, and he probably wants to as well due to lack of playing time after the freak emergence of Beast Diame.

With our luck he'll be sold for buttons and Diame will revert to his old self next season.

The more I hear about it the more it’s coming across like he’s the one not wanting to be here. He had an injury which was never quite right this season, despite it we still went ahead to buy him as we had faith in him. The form of other players meant that he had to wait for his chance. If he can’t see that he’ll get his chance this season with us not having many options and Diame’s age then he’s not thinking right. If he wanted a release clause so then he’s obviously never been full committed to the club and has purhapse used us as a season of having higher wages then what he’d be able to get in Spain.

Sounds like a case of "you get back your transfer and agent fees included in the release fee if the right club comes along".

Nothing much we can do if the player insisted on the clause to make it a permanent move. Looks like the player does not want to stay here or fight for his place.

He didn't do his defensive work properly, got injured, never got back in the team, and has now seemingly gave up already and wants to go home.

Struggling to be bothered. Don't think he's particularly special.

While he had a couple of games where he looked like he could be a real player, he had more games where he didn't really offer much at all, and it seems like his heart isn't particularly in it. Not fussed really :dontknow:

I may be mixing up transfer fees here, but didn't we pay ~£12.5m (loan and transfer fee) for him? Why would we accept a release clause lower than what we paid? :lol:

It was around £9m total as far as I remember.

Funny that this becomes public knowledge all of a sudden. Won't be too sad to see him go, given the way the season turned out for him. Still think he'll be a player mind.

Guest firetotheworks

Thank fuck the World Cup's protecting me from the usual embarrassing amateurish bullshit from NUFC.

Looks like Sociedad is where he's going, apparently he has agreed to join them. Thank god we've spent time monitoring players so that we can get them all over the line.

All of our players probably have release clauses. Bought to sell.

Not in NUFC's interest to put in a release clause (especially one which is only a small profit on the fee paid). The Mike Ashley model is to buy young players who will hopefully appreciate in value then sell them for a big profit. Release clauses will be at the insistence of the players and their advisors.

While he had a couple of games where he looked like he could be a real player, he had more games where he didn't really offer much at all, and it seems like his heart isn't particularly in it. Not fussed really :dontknow:

This. He has wonderful technique but gives the ball away so much.

If he wanted that clause inserted then he never really had any intention of sticking around.

Seems a bit of a bitchy way to look at it. In Spain all contracts have them so perhaps he just feels its best way.

Seem to recall Rafa knew his father and their connection went way back. In fact isn't his dad one of his advisors rather than just agents?

I guess the lad is hungry for first team football and Rafa couldn't guarantee it, I can't say I blame any talented youngster for wanting more playing time but working with Rafa for a few years may have served him better in the long term. We shall see, suspect we will see him playing for Spain at some point in his career.

When he was on song this lad was class - he's got quality no doubt about that.  I defo want him to stay - It was Mo's form at the end of the season that kept him out rather than his poor form.