Mikel Merino

Disco

Looked a bit rusty tonight, to be expected I guess. Not his greatest game, but still produced some lovely movement and positive passing, and allowed Shelvey to create freely by dropping back towards the end. Could easily have had a goal too, it was a sweet strike that brought a very good save out of Foster.

Looked a bit rusty tonight, to be expected I guess. Not his greatest game, but still produced some lovely movement and positive passing, and allowed Shelvey to create freely by dropping back towards the end. Could easily have had a goal too, it was a sweet strike that brought a very good save out of Foster.

:thup:

One thing we lack the majority of the time, is someone with the balls and/or ability to find advanced players and actually pass it to feet.  I noticed quite regularly Merino would work a bit of an opening and play a decent 10-15 yard pass along the deck to someone in front of him.  Shelvey was doing it as well, once he came on. 

Not sure if it was a case of them sitting deep, or the subs impacting the game and improving the options?  Probably a combination of both.  But it is decent to see, as we usually have Shelvey sat deep launching deep passes out wide and that pretty much sums up our attacking options. 

Merino will play a huge part in our season.  I don't think it is OTT to say he will be a big factor in whether we stay up comfortably or scrap around at the bottom in yet another relegation fight. 

One thing we lack the majority of the time, is someone with the balls and/or ability to find advanced players and actually pass it to feet.  I noticed quite regularly Merino would work a bit of an opening and play a decent 10-15 yard pass along the deck to someone in front of him.  Shelvey was doing it as well, once he came on. 

Not sure if it was a case of them sitting deep, or the subs impacting the game and improving the options?  Probably a combination of both.  But it is decent to see, as we usually have Shelvey sat deep launching deep passes out wide and that pretty much sums up our attacking options. 

Merino will play a huge part in our season.  I don't think it is OTT to say he will be a big factor in whether we stay up comfortably or scrap around at the bottom in yet another relegation fight. 

What i love about him the most is that he actually can play a simple pass 10-20 meters straight up to a forward. Its one of the reasons mitro seems really good this days, he can hold the ball up well when he get the ball at his feet, and is a good layoff point*.

2 of our best plays at the end came from a 3 man combo when playing it short. (involving mitro and merino)

Shelvey have that ability as well, but he needs a lot of space to pick out that golden pass (like the one to yedlin at the end) im getting tired of the long diagonal tryhard pass that doesnt really suit our game, its all well and dandy when we pull it off, but that is very rare.

Play it at the deck, win games, have fun!

:thup: more quick and simple passing required. We give away possession too much for my liking. Need players good at finding space though, as young Mik epitomises.

He's a bit rusty! Also, he's still new to the league and will only get better. We could have one hell of a player on hour hands here :thup:

Impressed from what I've seen so far. Agree with you that we give away possession too easily :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Merino looks like he should be a good player, cultured left foot, strolls around with the ball looking cool, but he's slow, shit off the ball and makes some awful decisions that cost us goals, today and Huddersfield the obvious ones. I know he's young and maybe Rafa can improve him, but his lack of pace,  that's hard to ever get past.

One of his worst performances for us so far, and I’m his biggest fan. Seems to be low on confidence and has developed a leaden foot since his injury. He keeps going for the simple backwards pass whereas before he controlled the midfield.

Merino looks like he should be a good player, cultured left foot, strolls around with the ball looking cool, but he's slow, shit off the ball and makes some awful decisions that cost us goals, today and Huddersfield the obvious ones. I know he's young and maybe Rafa can improve him, but his lack of pace,  that's hard to ever get past.

His been back from injury 2 games, and before that looked class. His been poor today, but overreaction much :lol:

Think it says it all that I just got in the pub and the only NUFC player showing up in the stat lines was this guy. All over the shop, worked his fucking arse off.

He was terrible :lol:

Fucking tried, though. The amount of times Leicester were allowed time on the ball, the only one I actually saw battle was Merino.