Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

I thought we had a solid good shape unitl the accidentlyonpurpose, looking to pick them off over the top on the break. Sending off killed that, and then their class told in the end. Not overly disappointed if i'm honest, so encouraging things. Tottenham are a good side and we kept them to a few long shots first half.  We were never going to dominate and be all over them.

Fucking hell [emoji23]

What's wrong with that?

Struggled for lots of meaningful posession against one of the best sides in the league, shock horror. Despite that (made much worse by the injuries and devastated by the red card) we were relatively well organised and never packed in. In past years that would have ended up 4-0 at least.

Couple of bright sparks going forward, glad Gayle got some playing time without injury and Atsu was a constant threat. Can't think of anyone that had a genuinely bad game, Shelvey aside. Glad we've got Merino to step straight in.

Need a couple of signings, as we already knew. That said, Rafa's hands were tied in terms of changing things.

Next.

Agreed. Although I didn't think we "struggled" for posession. We didn't seek it. That was the game plan. Release Atsu or Gayle straight away and keep it tight at the back. Was working ok I thought.

It would definitely help if Ritchie had some pace in him as well.

Don't know what Gayle was doing in that one change at the end of first half. Atsu is going to the byline with the ball and Gayle is seen in the picture just calmly jogging towards the Spurs goal. Not good.

I think we sat too deep in the first half. Thought Gayle still made good runs despite clearly needing the minutes. Ritchie's not at it though.

The one run that Gayle made that could have resulted in a goal for us was woeful.

Reading this thread, sometimes I wonder whether the much-derided mainstream media opinion of our fans is actually fairly accurate. Absolutely embarrassing.

Aye. Looking fairly comfortable at 0-0 at HT and quite a few people pissing their pants that we hadn't completely outclassed Spurs and knocked in four or five :lol:

Yeah, not like anyone is actually basing their opinion on watching us over the last 4 or 5 years is it.

Watch every other premiership game this weekend, regardless of the red card we were creating nothing. It's clear to see there is nothing in this team to make us comfortable this year. Going to be relying on moments of brilliance. Even Brighton gave City more of a go yesterday.

I expected us to lose today, but I also expected us to have a few corners, see their keeper have to make a few saves.

We're exactly the same team as last season. Go back and read match threads if you want a reminder of how poor we actually played. But of course, that means I expect us to be Barca.

This has always been the Benitez game plan, though: solid defensively, attack smart but not risky.

Relies on creativity. Gayle can't create for himself and Perez is rubbish.

Either need a striker making his own chances or a quality number 10.

Seen plenty of poorer teams actually playing attacking football and it working. Relying on defensive tactics is one of the hardest tactics to make successful. I trust Rafa to do it but we need 4 or 5 more players, and they're not coming.

We're going to play better football than WBA but we're going to have to win a bunch of tight games to survive this year. I think we can do it but we need pace up front. Looking forward to seeing Murphy play next week. Mitrovic will be useful when we're down.

Manquillo looked decent but was too slow to react for their goal. The rest looked ok. Encouraging that our defence held up after the injuries I think we'll be able to survive if Lejune is out for a few weeks. Atsu looked decent. Gayle doesn't look fit. Perez did fuck all mind. I dont think Ritchie was bad per-se, i think we were trying to expose walker-peters hence all the play down the left.

Frustrating start to the season.  Our tactics were clearly to deny them clear cut chances and stay in the game as long as possible which i think we did well to achieve, especially with 2 defensive injuries early on.  Then some idiot decided to get himself sent off and it was always gona be difficult after that.  Maybe we could've created a bit more before the red card but i think we would've taken more risks towards the end of the game and with 11 men we might've nicked it.  Shelvey is a bell end, i hope this Merino kid can fill his boots cos i don't want us to rely on that f***er any more.

Positives for me were -

- Atsu looked good at this level, and on the left!  Our best player by a mile!

- Manquillo looked better than i thought he was.  Might turn out to be a shrewd signing.

- Merino looked more than decent for the short spell he was on.

- Rob Elliott makes me look like i'm in good shape.

We did alright until the sending off.  We definitely need to get the chequebook out and quick though.  A proper number 10 would make a big difference to our game I think, Perez was just totally anonymous out there.

Some positives to take away for me were Atsu and Merino, they both looked pretty good.  Blob didn't have a bad game either in fairness.

Struggled for lots of meaningful posession against one of the best sides in the league, shock horror. Despite that (made much worse by the injuries and devastated by the red card) we were relatively well organised and never packed in. In past years that would have ended up 4-0 at least.

Couple of bright sparks going forward, glad Gayle got some playing time without injury and Atsu was a constant threat. Can't think of anyone that had a genuinely bad game, Shelvey aside. Glad we've got Merino to step straight in.

Need a couple of signings, as we already knew. That said, Rafa's hands were tied in terms of changing things.

Next.

Good summing up that. How many times have we seen that sort of game against a genuine top side, end up in a fuckin embarrassing mauling. The only embarrassing thing about our performance today came  from a certain Mr Shelvey

Guest neesy111

Blob's kicking is absolutely atrocious.  We're immediately back under pressure whenever he kicks it

It was like Krul was back.

I will say this - I think you did alright given all the misfortune you had to face. I didn't watch the entire game, but you didn't look like a team out of its depth.

To be fair I agree are causes to be optimistic and under pardew we would have lost that  0-10000

Without new signings...prediction 12-15 place

If players continue to do stupid things like boldie did today...until december will start fight  to avoid relegation

And..again..no Mitro..no fun

He need to change a club for sure

Hard to judge us going forward as our game plan seemed to be to contain them for the first 60 minutes or so and then have a go. Was going well until Shelvey stupidity.

Obviously despite some positives, we are now going into a big game next week with a massively weakened squad, again thanks to some bad luck with injuries, yet more stupidity from Shelvey, and a complete lack of backing from Ashley.

Interesting few days eh? Disclaimer: this isn't a meltdown - I'm not predicting relegation or the we'll be fine either and I thought there were some real positives in atsu and manquillo.

I also note our dear leader in attendance and my observation regarding him is this. He can make benign speeches about fans 'not going to like this I want a comfortable season' and misrepresent our expectations or delusions of grandeur all he wants. That game was a potential season in microcosm. Lose shelvey we'll struggle creatively (he was poor fwiw) a few injuries in key positions and we are still a lot weaker. We look very toothless up top too despite some talent.It's clear we need further strengthening.

It's one game against the runners up in the league and there are positives. Ashley needs to stop deluding himself if he thinks we're expecting top half and if he hopes to have a 'comfortable' finish. All his 'apologies' have done is confirm he is glibly unaware of this though. Let's hope for a better week and window.