Huddersfield Town 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/08/17 (post-match from p37)

Disco

I said before the season started that on paper we had a good opening set of fixtures and we needed to spend proper money  to do our best to pick up early points. After the next 3 games or so we have some really hard looking games, if we go into them with say 4 or less points on the board we will be in the bottom 3 and will remain there or thereabouts all season. I can hardly wait.

It's only 2 games but all the signs are there.

Rafa's going to have to work really hard to get some confidence into this team, like. Looking at today, that's our biggest issue with the current personnel. People will twist on about 'quality', but we played a worse team than us today, the biggest difference was their level of confidence. It had little to do with tactics, we fucked up basic things, were nervous on the ball and lacked any kind of energy.

As much as he's been right to get at the board for transfers, I don't think the way he's managed it has helped the team. We should be absolutely bouncing into this league, in terms of morale and fight, but the players look like they have the world on their shoulders and as if they're ready to crumble. We have lots of young, inexperienced players in the side, he needs to get their heads right and he's apparently committed to this year because of these players.

Thought Huddersfield were shite and they will finish bottom. One bit of quality for the goal and that's it, similar story to last year, they'll run out of steam.

Gayle needs to sort himself out. Don't know what's in his head at the minute but he had some decent preseason time, looked sharp, and now seems to have withdrawn again because of a niggle. Wouldn't start him next game, he's not ready and, frankly, I thought his attitude to today was shite. I'd consider easing Ritchie in from now on too, he's been more of a hindrance so far and is clearly playing catch up.

Lastly, fuck off the media. All I heard today was about how shit we are, how good fucking Huddersfield are and how we're probably down. Fuck right off, we're 2 games in. Reminded me of why I enjoyed the Championship so much, already sick of this hyped up shite.

Guest firetotheworks

No surprises, the players just aren't good enough, nowhere near good enough.

Nowt do to with how the manager sets his team up ofc.

Correct.

[emoji38] [emoji38]

KI doesn't entertain anything that criticises rafa.

I don't entertain basic bullshit, you're right.

Fucking hell [emoji38]

KI explain the Diame sub then?

The alternative in the middle being?

Chasing a game would have been to maybe hoy two up top, but you're right, very limited in CM.

And therein lies the fair critique of Rafa. He's not going to play two up top.

We have to have more pace in our team with this lack of quality. We need to get to the byline to relieve pressure and provide some kind of scoring opportunity with crosses. I'm not imagining the quality of our crossing this year will be great but you get by that with sheer quantity. I can't see us really making much through the middle so pace down the sides and balls in from the byline has to be our tactic I reckon. Gayle and Joselu up top.

Guest neesy111

We are basically going to be a better version of boro last season.  We can clearly defend ok and won't concede many but where are the goals going to come from?

Fucking hell. Why blame the player quality today?  The opponent is not Spurs, it's Huddersfield.  We definitely have better players even without injured or suspended players.  This match is purely down to Rafa.  How can you guys trying your best to NOT saying his out?

Mbemba at left back was a weird one. We definitely need a left back asap.

Ritchie and Perez just don't have the pace necessary to play in this formation at this level.

Joselu looked good and hungry when he came on.

Merino grew into the game and I am willing to let Manquillo have some time to prove himself instead of writing him off after game 2. He does have some pace, which we are sorely lacking everywhere on the pitch.

f***ing hell. Why blame the player quality today?  The opponent is not Spurs, it's Huddersfield.  We definitely have better players even without injured or suspended players.  This match is purely down to Rafa.  How can you guys trying your best to NOT saying his out?

You high son?

We have 0 good players at this level, there's the issue

[emoji38] Log off the internet and go to bed man, you're embarrassing yourself.

'This level' of Burnley, Swansea, Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield is truly terrifying and I have no idea how we'll cope all season.

Yes they're below average teams. I'm talking about good players

Fucking hell. Why blame the player quality today?  The opponent is not Spurs, it's Huddersfield.  We definitely have better players even without injured or suspended players.  This match is purely down to Rafa.  How can you guys trying your best to NOT saying his out?

It's very weird that he never gets criticised. His selection/subs were fucking shite.

f***ing hell. Why blame the player quality today?  The opponent is not Spurs, it's Huddersfield.  We definitely have better players even without injured or suspended players.  This match is purely down to Rafa.  How can you guys trying your best to NOT saying his out?

So you think we should sack him? Who do you imagine would be the replacement?

No surprises, the players just aren't good enough, nowhere near good enough.

Nowt do to with how the manager sets his team up ofc.

Correct.

[emoji38] [emoji38]

KI doesn't entertain anything that criticises rafa.

I don't entertain basic bullshit, you're right.

Fucking hell [emoji38]

KI explain the Diame sub then?

The alternative in the middle being?

Chasing a game would have been to maybe hoy two up top, but you're right, very limited in CM.

And therein lies the fair critique of Rafa. He's not going to play two up top.

Aye, endless talking about it on here is so pointless (a lot of it by me) as he'll never do it.

While i love Rafa, we do have a real lack of attacking movement and surely some of that lies at his door, yes the players are quite poor but it can't be just all them. It's ok being compact and hard to beat but you need more than that.

Thought the Diame sub was a mistake but other than that I don't have any gripes with Rafa. He went with a setup which won 400 away games last season. The difference here was that Huddersfield have improved their playing staff, meanwhile our's has got worse. Result: defeat. Shrug.