Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, brummie said:

Given that Purslow is our CEO, I think I have more of a chance of getting the Villa job than Rafa ;-) 

The other thing I didn't mention, there's been a few signs of throwing players under the bus, which is not going down well with the fans.

He can turn this around, though, he just needs to do it soon.

Oh, and I also just read that the proposed Sarr deal involved Cameron Archer, who is unbelievably promising, going there on loan. He'd just made a big song and dance about how he's staying here for the season, but to now have considered loaning him seems insane.

Thought him and Rafa were big pals?

What’s your expectations this season, top 10, Europe? Given your squad and investment I’d be looking at a European qualifying place at least. And I know he’s thrown Mings under the bus, and he has his moments, but I quite like him as a player me.

8 minutes ago, brummie said:

The other thing I didn't mention, there's been a few signs of throwing players under the bus, which is not going down well with the fans.

Feel like I've been watching him do this over and over again since he started with Rangers. He's such a cringe in post-match interviews, talking like his players are pieces of shit. He seems like a fucking wanker to me, like. Proper Souness vibes. 

No gripe with you obviously, Brummie, and I've no particular angst with Villa (was actually quite pleased to see you emerge from the doldrums and your story was perfect ammunition for the anti-Bruce offensive) - but I'm going to love watching that pillock fail miserably.

At very least top half of the table or top 8.

Benitez blamed Purslow for him leaving Liverpool. It'd also be interesting to see Digne reacting to Rafa walking through the door ;-)

The owners have thrown tons of money in so far, have been excellent.

Gerrard is definitely Purslow's choice and the fans aren't stupid, that's a generally held view down here. Purslow said in his interview he blew him, Edens and Sawiris (owners) away and gave a brilliant presentation etc etc but it's hard to shift the idea the appointment might be about getting his mate in.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Feel like I've been watching him do this over and over again since he started with Rangers. He's such a cringe in post-match interviews, talking like his players are pieces of shit. He seems like a fucking wanker to me, like. Proper Souness vibes. 

No gripe with you obviously, Brummie, and I've no particular angst with Villa (was actually quite pleased to see you emerge from the doldrums and your story was perfect ammunition for the anti-Bruce offensive) - but I'm going to love watching that pillock fail miserably.

I understand that. 

TBH when he joined the appointment was largely considered as stupid, and, like fans of pretty much every other club except Liverpool, most of us had thought of Gerrard as a wanker as a player, so he was starting from a tricky position. 

I don't like him, I thought it was a stupid appointment, but am prepared to give him a chance. It's hardly disaster territory, the window is still open, he can turn this around quite easily - but if he acts charlie big bollocks and goes down the stubborn route then he's not going to be getting very long to do so.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, brummie said:

At very least top half of the table or top 8.

Benitez blamed Purslow for him leaving Liverpool. It'd also be interesting to see Digne reacting to Rafa walking through the door ;-)

The owners have thrown tons of money in so far, have been excellent.

Gerrard is definitely Purslow's choice and the fans aren't stupid, that's a generally held view down here. Purslow said in his interview he blew him, Edens and Sawiris (owners) away and gave a brilliant presentation etc etc but it's hard to shift the idea the appointment might be about getting his mate in.

Ah I thought they were pals and your owners have been very good, lots of investment on and off the pitch. Look where yous have come from…

One point of promise - we tried to sign Bissouma in the summer, we also tried to sign Bentancur in the last January window, and we did sign Kamara, the belief being we were after two DMs.

That suggests he might have been thinking of playing a double pivot, which would make MUCH more sense, so let's see who else we get in this window.

And that ^^^ is basically why the suggestion of signing Sarr was so stupidly bat shit.

2 hours ago, Disco said:

There’ll be loads like it. Remember the Guardian podcast in particular saying:

Howe was shit

Players won’t respect him as he’s not first choice 

He’ll not be able to improve or motivate anyone already here as they’ll know they don’t have a long term future

All the players will want to leave as they’ll have no future

He won’t be able to attract players without paying loads

Amongst other shite

The Athletic podcast was ultra condescending about our chances v City last week.  Will be fun to hear the retreat tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Thought him and Rafa were big pals?

What’s your expectations this season, top 10, Europe? Given your squad and investment I’d be looking at a European qualifying place at least. And I know he’s thrown Mings under the bus, and he has his moments, but I quite like him as a player me.

Rafa and Purslow don't see eye to eye. Purslow was responsible for firing Rafa and replacing him with Hodgson. Also, Purslow conducted a purge of Rafa's staff and scouts. 

Edited by rgk_lfc

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

As a manager if you believe in a certain system or way of playing regardless of the level you have to try and make it work, the best managers do that, but even the not so best managers but prove themselves capable like Moyes etc. will deviate from such systems to make things work somehow and Gerrard right now is in between that. This is a huge season for him and his career!

But a lot of these managers spent time discovering and fine-tuning their systems and then took on high-profile jobs in the premier league. Howe took over Bournemouth in 2008, coached in the PL for the first time in 2015, got fired, did a sabbatical at top clubs in Europe, and finally earned the Newcastle job 10-12 years after he stepped into management. Rafa started coaching Madrid youth teams in the mid to late 80s, spent a lot of time in the second division failing, then got the break with Valencia in the early 2000s. Klopp, spent like seven years with Mainz, the majority in the second division, experienced several missed promotions and a relegation before he joined Dortmund. Conte was the same.

As a manager, you want to experience multiple cycles of failures and challenging situations to discover what tactics work and what don't, how to tweak your system and manage your players when things aren't going well. Gerrard and Lampard short-circuited this process due to their reputation and experienced their first challenging situation at Villa and Chelsea, which are directly in the limelight high-profile jobs with cut-throat competition. I agree Scotland might not have been that competitive, but it would have been better for him in the long term if stayed on for a couple more seasons and challenged himself in CL and Europa League. At the very least spent a couple more years in the championship before taking on a job like Villa. 

I guess the problem is now everyone wants to be Pep. Going from B team coach to winning every trophy in 3 years' time. 

28 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

But a lot of these managers spent time discovering and fine-tuning their systems and then took on high-profile jobs in the premier league. Howe took over Bournemouth in 2008, coached in the PL for the first time in 2015, got fired, did a sabbatical at top clubs in Europe, and finally earned the Newcastle job 10-12 years after he stepped into management. Rafa started coaching Madrid youth teams in the mid to late 80s, spent a lot of time in the second division failing, then got the break with Valencia in the early 2000s. Klopp, spent like seven years with Mainz, the majority in the second division, experienced several missed promotions and a relegation before he joined Dortmund. Conte was the same.

As a manager, you want to experience multiple cycles of failures and challenging situations to discover what tactics work and what don't, how to tweak your system and manage your players when things aren't going well. Gerrard and Lampard short-circuited this process due to their reputation and experienced their first challenging situation at Villa and Chelsea, which are directly in the limelight high-profile jobs with cut-throat competition. I agree Scotland might not have been that competitive, but it would have been better for him in the long term if stayed on for a couple more seasons and challenged himself in CL and Europa League. At the very least spent a couple more years in the championship before taking on a job like Villa. 

I guess the problem is now everyone wants to be Pep. Going from B team coach to winning every trophy in 3 years' time. 

Intetesting to contrast Lampard/Gerrard with Vieira, who did two years with Man City’s development squad and two years in MLS before getting his first top flight gig at Nice. Looks a far better manager with Palace than either of the other two.

6 minutes ago, McCormick said:

:lol: I knew you in particular would take issue with this. I get it, you don’t like him. Let’s agree to disagree :).

Yes, sure. No problem agreeing to disagree on this :D