Other clubs' transfers

Greg

41 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Can see why they want him. He's going to be top class. Future England regular for sure.

If he wasn’t a lefty I’d want us to sign him. 

Poch seems like someone that wants total control, but in reality, that doesn't exist anymore. Pep has the right idea, just tell them what type you want and just trust them to find it. 

2 minutes ago, Decky said:

How many players are gonna head out there this summer like? :lol: 

Not many. Cultural insensitivity hat apology on but you’d think it’d appeal more to the more devout Muslim players and I’d be amazed if their first batch that didn’t go weren’t of that ilk. Like Kante for example.

Id imagine it’s been very done in mind with hosting the new FIFA World Club Cup thing too.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Liverpool sniffing around Lavia. Sounds like they're quite publicly sounding out multiple options before deciding who to move for. 

Liverpool and Manchester United rumours will generate the most clicks. 

I've noticed the Saudis are busing in a lot of the world's premier refs as well. Soares Dias, Michael Oliver, Lahoz, Orsato and Dankert have all been over there in the last few weeks, as well as Rappalini from Argentina.

You see some interesting appointments if you're the kind of gambling addict who keeps an eye on these things. Andy Madley was reffing the J-League last weekend.

It keeps occurring to me that if players go to Saudi for the coin they're not held to account re. the ethics of it all. The media keeps bashing away at clubs such as ours of course but I've not seen anything against e.g. C. Ronaldo. I just wonder why that is.

I still don't know how sportswashing works, Qatar bought the world cup, put on a canny show and then it was over. During before and after I read more negative stories than positive.

I don't want to go there for my holidays, I've no intention of following their religion or culture. The only people that have benefited were the people that got rich from it.

The Saudis investing in world sport certainly hasn't improved their reputation. I'm directly involved with them through their ownership of my club which up to now has been nothing short of exemplary, I realise that could change but it can't be worse that the fat English fella that crippled us.

If sportswashing is a thing it doesn't work very well.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I still don't know how sportswashing works, Qatar bought the world cup, put on a canny show and then it was over. During before and after I read more negative stories than positive.

I don't want to go there for my holidays, I've no intention of following their religion or culture. The only people that have benefited were the people that got rich from it.

The Saudis investing in world sport certainly hasn't improved their reputation. I'm directly involved with them through their ownership of my club which up to now has been nothing short of exemplary, I realise that could change but it can't be worse that the fat English fella that crippled us.

Because it’s always been a marketing thing along side a bit of a proxy war. PL is the worlds biggest billboard. 

They don’t care about making people in the west think they are wonderful. 

9 hours ago, Disco said:

Not many. Cultural insensitivity hat apology on but you’d think it’d appeal more to the more devout Muslim players and I’d be amazed if their first batch that didn’t go weren’t of that ilk. Like Kante for example.

Id imagine it’s been very done in mind with hosting the new FIFA World Club Cup thing too.

Don’t get me wrong - being close to Mecca and Medina is a serious pull - plus the thought of then getting someone like Mo Salah is huge too - the country itself especially the cities are really quite developed so would appeal to players and families - it’s a young county too - 70% are under 30 - the rules within the county are not as strict as people thing - obviously no drinking etc 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

As others have said, it’s not just about the view of them from others, but keeping their own citizens happy.

In Saudi Arabia their citizens are mostly younger people now. They want more freedoms and with that, they want to experience events etc. They have had money for a while, but aside from buying a Gucci handbag, they have had little to actually do.

Golf is very popular in the Middle East and having these events is a major plus for them. The same with football and bringing the stars over.

In Qatar they have a small population, one that is probably not sustainable. Hosting the World Cup meant that they had to build infrastructure, which meant that they needed to bring in immigrants, who they hoped would stay after the work in completed. That is alongside the same issues as other countries have in keeping their own population happy.

Edited by Stifler

7 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Don’t get me wrong - being close to Mecca and Medina is a serious pull - plus the thought of then getting someone like Mo Salah is huge too - the country itself especially the cities are really quite developed so would appeal to players and families - it’s a young county too - 70% are under 30 - the rules within the county are not as strict as people thing - obviously no drinking etc 

For what it’s worth. The other day I half watched a documentary about women driving in Saudi Arabia. I was surprised to see that contrary to popular belief, not all women are dressed in a full veil, and don’t need a man to accompany them everywhere. Some of the even having jobs. In fact you could say that they seemed more repressed inside their own homes than they are outside in public.

I don’t know if there is regional difference of tolerance/acceptances there or not though.

Long before our takeover, when I was at uni there was a girl there who was born a raised in Saudi Arabia, with British parents and has dual citizenship. Without getting in the conversation at the time, she did say it’s nowhere near what people think it’s like. Of course I don’t know if that was taking into account any privileges she might have experienced as a family member of a foreign worker, over the average citizen or not.

In hindsight that was a missed opportunity for an interesting conversation.