Other clubs' transfers

Greg

9 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

The fact we didn't move even when we knew Liverpool would trigger the clause raises a couple of questions.

Did we give up because it's a waste of time trying to compete with clubs that have a much higher wage ceiling?

Or were we ever even in for Szob? There's been no word of any bids or contact between the clubs at all. If we weren't in for him, it's in our interests to let the press create a smokescreen while we negotiate elsewhere.

I'm disappointed we've missed out on Szob because he looks the real deal but there's no evidence we were in for him. The Sky Six can't buy everyone and there's tons of talent still out there. We will have a list of contingencies if Szob and Maddison were targets. It seems pretty clear Isak wasn't top of our list, but it's worked out well and we might well have dodged a bullet with players like Ekitike and Calvert-Lewin and so on. I just hope we can get our deals done early like the richest clubs usually do and sign one attacking player that improves the first XI.

More than likely we didn’t want to and were never going to pay as much as the release clause for him.

45 minutes ago, wormy said:

It is too much tbf. I guess it's time for you to go, Frogster. 

Would be like when Steve Carrell left The Office. It was still passable, but it wasn't the same. 

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Emery will have to get fatty Tielemans doing some laps in pre season

I'm pretty sure Emery doesn't play an over-attacking style, Tielemans would be a pretty useful player for a team which doesn't press forward so much and relies more on building slowly, or counter attacks. I think Youri will be a good fit for Villa for the same reasons he'd be a bad fit for us.

18 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Mental

I find this very hard to believe to be honest. Would mean he's on two of three times more than some of their other first team stars. 

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Guy floats through a season in a dire team, does basically nothing and gets a transfer to the runners up and a massive pay rise. Football is weird. 

Aye. If he was widely regarded as one of the very best in his position, and had just had a brilliant season, you could almost understand it. Except he just had a completely trash couple of seasons back to back, looking like he couldn't give a fuck. Similar thing with the junk dinosaur managers who keep getting jobs no matter how poorly they do. Only football massively rewards mediocrity, what a time to even be a modestly talented professional footballer.

3 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Mental

Salaries are becoming ridiculous when even an average player like Havertz can command it

Edited by duo