Other clubs' transfers

Greg

35 minutes ago, Viana said:

That's kind of my point though. 

Right now they're still paying all seven players. Sure, Thiago goes next year, Fofana may be a crock, but that won't get you exemption from their salaries. You've also got players behind Colwill like Alfie Gilchrist and Bashir Humphreys that are going to struggle to get in because they've got a group of big money defenders on long term deals. 

Their FFP ceiling is high and Todd seems to have long pockets. 

They have £200m+ worth of academy talent to sell and a conveyor belt of more. A lot of the players they’ve bought they can sell-on too. 

Yes the squad building is messy. But the Disasi transfer has some logic behind it. 

6 hours ago, The Butcher said:

I don't understand this.

How can a club with no previous mammoth expense, suddenly think this is a sustainable idea?

Where is their income coming from when these Saudi sides are not globally viewed. 

Am I missing something.

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I don't understand this.

How can a club with no previous mammoth expense, suddenly think this is a sustainable idea?

Where is their income coming from when these Saudi sides are not globally viewed. 

Am I missing something.

Yes, the Saudi state has infinite wealth which it is prepared to use to fill the league with players from abroad. 

It’s not really to do with individual clubs. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I don't understand this.

Am I missing something.

They're getting free money from the government/PIF. This would be happening here if FFP didn't exist. I guess the plan is to try and fast-track their league to the levels of Europe's top 5 leagues and sell the product globally at a high price from there. It may well work because there's no denying there's a big interest in the league now, but they surely need to improve at a grassroots and youth level as well to make it properly sustainable rather than just throwing crazy money at established players. Having said that its hard to see the league ever having a pull other than it pays more than anywhere else. 

Edited by Decky

Yes I understand the wealth, that's not the hard part. 

The long term sustainability is the tricky bit? 

It will never take off.

The whole league would need to be competitive, or you're just looking at an SPL type league with two major clubs.

There's no Uefa type competitiveness either.

I just see failure, and a massive waste of cash, a bunch of players out in a country with awkward social settings, and when they're fed up, nobody will be able to afford to help them out, without these players taking huge pay drops. 

It's utterly pathetic. 

Edited by mighty__mag

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

I don't understand this.

Am I missing something.

Sustainability isn't a factor, they're richer than God. That fee is chump change.

One thing that worries me is where does Newcastle fit in with all of this - clearly the Saudi League the priority for PIF.  They will want to build a league that is the best in the world - granted they are a long way off.  But as has been said they have limitless money they can throw at this and if they keep buying players - in time --> Super League?  The knock on effect is the weakening of other leagues including the PL.  Which brings me back to Newcastle as surely we'll also be one of the clubs that will suffer playing in a weakening league. 

4 minutes ago, duo said:

One thing that worries me is where does Newcastle fit in with all of this - clearly the Saudi League the priority for PIF.  They will want to build a league that is the best in the world - granted they are a long way off.  But as has been said they have limitless money they can throw at this and if they keep buying players - in time --> Super League?  The knock on effect is the weakening of other leagues including the PL.  Which brings me back to Newcastle as surely we'll also be one of the clubs that will suffer playing in a weakening league. 

theyll never have the champions league though.

some trumped up world wide fifa club competion at best.

Newcastle are an absolutely insignificant investment for them in financial terms. 

On top of that they’ve clearly realised the limits of what they can do in an established league with ffp. 

So they have created their own set up where they can spend as much as they want. 

it’s all pretty distasteful tbh and absolutely no threat long term unless you see yourselves spending hundreds of hours online talking about Al-Nassr or whoever. 

Maybe it’ll be good and we’ll have a more humble, competitive premier league as a result. 

I had plenty of years getting huge amounts of pleasure from English football before Sky hijacked it. 

4 minutes ago, brummie said:

Newcastle are an absolutely insignificant investment for them in financial terms. 

On top of that they’ve clearly realised the limits of what they can do in an established league with ffp. 

So they have created their own set up where they can spend as much as they want. 

it’s all pretty distasteful tbh and absolutely no threat long term unless you see yourselves spending hundreds of hours online talking about Al-Nassr or whoever. 

Maybe it’ll be good and we’ll have a more humble, competitive premier league as a result. 

I had plenty of years getting huge amounts of pleasure from English football before Sky hijacked it. 

:clap: