Other clubs' transfers

Greg

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’ve never heard of Maccaibi Haifa? Tel Aviv? Or seen Israel at the Euros?

i have - had; just haven’t really thought about Champions League or other club Euro comps in ages in detail outside of the major sides. I’ve nearly deleted all euro comps from my mind when we’ve been shit. Don’t even recall Israel at the euros but that’s not a slight on them - just being forgetful. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, r0cafella said:

They will make money on us eventually, in terms of the Saudi league absolutely they will lose boatloads, fortunately for them it doesn’t matter. 

let’s just hope these players are smart enough to get the salary paid in USD to an account offshore. 

No they won’t. 

Expanded stadium.  Training facilities. Women’s team.  Youth team. And they are just moving money around with the Sela sponsorship- there will be more. They ain’t making it all back.  

Just now, The College Dropout said:

No they won’t. 

Expanded stadium.  Training facilities. Women’s team.  Youth team. And they are just moving money around with the Sela sponsorship- there will be more. They ain’t making it all back.  

Let’s see, man united is going for 6b. 

You don’t make it all back unless you sell the club and exit. If we sold 10 years with improved facilities (new training ground and expanded stadium) and revenues multiplied over many many years of new commercial deals, a fit for purpose playing and coaching and support staff….the owners are making money. To suggest otherwise is absurd. 

Edited by Kanji

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Let’s see, man united is going for 6b. 

We aren’t Man U. 

Even if Roman pocketed the Chelsea money he wasn’t going to make his money back. City’s owners won’t make their money back.  

Aye our valuation will skyrocket.  But all in it won’t be financially profitable. 

We should know this is a soft power play by Saudi. Owners that are in it for money move like FSG or the Glazers (no crazy investment) or Todd (trying to revolutionise the game). 

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think the Saudi Pro-League stands a chance of gaining a meaningful European audience if some of their teams start competing in UEFA competitions. I'd wager that, as it stands, none of the teams mean anything to the vast majority of people - certainly in terms of the British audience. As long as that's the case, it'll never gain sustainable interest, regardless of which players turn up there. I'd even argue that the casual observer would have difficulty telling teams apart given most of them start 'Al-' and all of the squads seem to have the same mix; i.e. predominantly Saudi with a few South American unknowns and a few household names doing the payday thing.

My assumption is that UEFA would resist any attempts from Saudi to enter the UCL or Europa competitions, but - then again - they could consider an 'enemies closer' approach. Rather than keep them at arms length whilst there's a growing perception that the Saudi Pro League is on the up; let them in, have them get routinely battered by Croatian sides and Swedish sides, thereby emphasising the hierarchy. 

Should be interesting over the next few years, whatever happens, but there definitely needs to be more to their strategy then just player recruitment. If it wasn't Saudi I'd be wishing them all the luck in the world; a proper agitator to get UEFA sweating could breed some positive outcomes, who knows?

Whilst it would be very Liverpool, I believe clubs should protest any Saudi team being invited to the CL. They're not European.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

We aren’t Man U. 

Even if Roman pocketed the Chelsea money he wasn’t going to make his money back. City’s owners won’t make their money back.  

Aye our valuation will skyrocket.  But all in it won’t be financially profitable. 

We should know this is a soft power play by Saudi. Owners that are in it for money move like FSG or the Glazers (no crazy investment) or Todd (trying to revolutionise the game). 

We certainly aren’t Man united at this point but In 15 years time we can be bigger. Also regarding Chelsea that was very much a distressed asset sale. 

Anyways who knows what the future holds let me get back on topic. 

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

Whilst it would be very Liverpool, I believe clubs should protest any Saudi team being invited to the CL. They're not European.

They’ll do something like invite them as ‘guests’ or a wildcard entry 

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

KSA’s league would still need to justify the expenditure in some way or form.  Paying 10x what European clubs will play to persuade a player to sign isn’t sustainable, as the revenue streams won’t ever exist to meet that.  So it becomes a case of how long the KSA govt wants to prop this up.  Maybe that is forever; I doubt it, though. 

I hazard this is part of a their ‘vision 2030’ plan so it will likely have to be self sustainable by then. 

They (similar to the Chelsea owners) seem to be going for the Netflix/Uber style approach of taking massive losses in the hope that you can achieve market dominance. It’s an absolute open question as to wether that approach works in football. 

For all it’s faults the Premier League is the the most successful league on its own merits, it’s an established brand and in the main generates the money that keeps it viable itself. 

For another tech world analogy, the Pro league is Threads - trying to take all the successful elements of the market leader but ultimately is providing nothing new. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

All of our investment doesn’t come directly from the owners though, the club has income streams.  

Ah you know. The ffp thing everyone hates is curiously forgotten in this argument. 

Nah the reason is largely political. No other excluded nation would be invited to UEFA.

Yeah of course it's political, what isn't political about the recognition or otherwise of a nation state?

Edited by enthusiast

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

We certainly aren’t Man united at this point but In 15 years time we can be bigger. Also regarding Chelsea that was very much a distressed asset sale. 

Anyways who knows what the future holds let me get back on topic. 

Chelsea was sold at a premium despite being a distressed asset. Most analysts thought Clearlake overpaid. 

Chelsea are the perfect example. Tremendously successful. Best academy in the league. Dominant women’s team. NOT PROFITABLE. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

All of our investment doesn’t come directly from the owners though, the club has income streams.  

I didn’t say it did.  But that’s more money the owners are pouring into us. 

From an onlooker, what will really limit the Saudi league is the climate. The temperatures seem to be hovering around 38c during a match, which is obviously going to stifle intensive play - pressing, passing, dribbling etc. That will surely in matches being of lower-quality and less excitement for spectators.

This is less of an issue from November onwards I guess, but August, September and May looks like exceptionally tough months to play football in.

I wouldn't be too sure about City's owners not getting their money back, if they were to sell up, at the sort of ridiculously high price morons are prepared to pay for football clubs, there'd be several billions more than they paid for them plus what they've invested along the way.

Edited by brummie

There are loads of fans in the region who basically just support teams because their favourite players play for them. You may not lose many European fans to the Saudi League but the “Global fanbase” in MENA region that the PL enjoys will slowly move towards the Saudi Pro League. The league is being shown in 170 countries worldwide and you can already see the traction it gets on official YouTube highlight vids, where the numbers rival the EPL already. 

32 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I'll believe it when I see it. However, he has looked more disinterested and somewhat annoyed at times already this season.

Given they wouldn't be able to replace him with anyone as effective it would crush the team if he disappeared. Could see Klopp going mid-season or at the end if it doesn't go too well for them.

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

There are loads of fans in the region who basically just support teams because their favourite players play for them. You may not lose many European fans to the Saudi League but the “Global fanbase” in MENA region that the PL enjoys will slowly move towards the Saudi Pro League. The league is being shown in 170 countries worldwide and you can already see the traction it gets on official YouTube highlight vids, where the numbers rival the EPL already. 

They should create their own MENA champions league - invite Japan and South Korea - job done 

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

This is what I've said a couple of times in earlier posts. We just assume the whole world revolves around us, and while we've undoubtedly got the best product, if people outside of Europe are happy to follow Man U or Chelsea, what makes us think they might not equally take an interest in a Saudi league which is signing boatloads of superstars?

A lot depends on how long term the Saudis are thinking, to be sure, but they don't strike me as the type to do things by halves. I don't see a let up any time soon.