Other clubs' transfers

Greg

There is a lesson to be learned in the Ozil and PEA sagas for Arsenal in recent years which NUFC should take note of.

You can fuck yourself by giving out ridiculous contracts.

Both very talented players but signing them up to hundreds of thousands per week I am sure was more than part of the problem, in addition to any alleged disciplinary stuff.

You see stuff about Barcas wage bill too with however many players on 200k to 400k per week - doesn’t matter who you are it’s not sustainable or prevents you moving forward with your squad.

I've loved that we've not signed any 'attitude' players, or cast-offs from top clubs. Not signing Alli, Aubameyang (if there was even a chance) etc. Just players that are used to first-team football and seemingly have a good head on their shoulders. In a relegation fight you need grit and determination and especially the two I've mentioned haven't really shown me they could contribute in that way.

Guest neesy111
9 hours ago, HTT II said:

This is what Arteta/Arsenal have needed, to be ruthless and get rid of the egos, bad characters and big money flops and high wage earners, my mate is buzzing they have sacked off PEA.

Exactly this.

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Raith Rovers main sponsor has withdrawn her financial support after the signing of David Goodwillie. Captain of their ladies team has announced she will not play for the club any more either.

Not the greatest statement from them

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Not the greatest statement from them

“First and foremost, this was a football related decision”. No shit. That’s a bad statement considering everything that’s happened today with everyone resigning. 

Whilst in general I believe that if you have served your time/fulfilled your sentence, you should have a chance to re-integrate into society and be able to build a life within your means/skillset - I don't believe people who have committed certain crimes should be allowed to work in certain fields like entertainment/sports where you will find tons of young people looking up to these persons as role models. Such as in the case of Greenwood, he should be allowed to re-integrate into society when he has finished whatever sentence he gets - and as long as he doesn't do more crimes then fair do's, you've served your time. But he should never be allowed to play football professionally again and have children idolize him.

Not sure I make much sense, but hope I did. Been up all night so thoughts a bit jumbled still.

I'm a bit conflicted on that topic. Heart says they should not be allowed/do not deserve to play football professionally again, head says they should. It's not their fault footballers are looked up as role models (they shouldn't), and they should be allowed to work and contribute to society in the best way they can, which obviously is playing football if any club is willing to give them a chance. Lee Hughes went on to play professionally for 13 years after serving his sentence to a lot of uproar initially. 

18 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Whilst in general I believe that if you have served your time/fulfilled your sentence, you should have a chance to re-integrate into society and be able to build a life within your means/skillset - I don't believe people who have committed certain crimes should be allowed to work in certain fields like entertainment/sports where you will find tons of young people looking up to these persons as role models. Such as in the case of Greenwood, he should be allowed to re-integrate into society when he has finished whatever sentence he gets - and as long as he doesn't do more crimes then fair do's, you've served your time. But he should never be allowed to play football professionally again and have children idolize him.

Not sure I make much sense, but hope I did. Been up all night so thoughts a bit jumbled still.

If it's clear that they did it then I agree like. Raping a woman is an absolutely horrific act, it's not really something you can just look over [emoji38]

Don't know much about this case but the Ched Evans one was an example where it was nowhere near clear enough to destroy the blokes life over.

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I'm a bit conflicted on that topic. Heart says they should not be allowed/do not deserve to play football professionally again, head says they should. It's not their fault footballers are looked up as role models (they shouldn't), and they should be allowed to work and contribute to society in the best way they can, which obviously is playing football if any club is willing to give them a chance. Lee Hughes went on to play professionally for 13 years after serving his sentence to a lot of uproar initially. 

I view it like this, as things are already, one can never work at a school, kindergarten and more if you've got certain sentences on your record here in Norway. No reason why other jobs where you have a heavy influence on children shouldn't be out of reach if you have been to jail for certain things. It's not like you can never work again, just that you can't work certain jobs.

Edited by Kaizero

It’s about the welfare and safety of others, he will be a registered sex offender you’d imagine, yes he’s done his time and although I wouldn’t want a known rapist anywhere near me in my own little society personally, there is an argument he deserves a second chance, but not in a sport where he will train and work alongside women, kids and the general community. 

There's also something about Arteta/Arsenal that he can't get a tune out of established top players consistently.

PEA's attitude and professionalism was good enough to tear up the league for what 3 years and become captain? Not long with Arteta and the wheels fell off. Same with Ozil. 3 good years, then falls off a cliff with Arteta,

47 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

There's also something about Arteta/Arsenal that he can't get a tune out of established top players consistently.

PEA's attitude and professionalism was good enough to tear up the league for what 3 years and become captain? Not long with Arteta and the wheels fell off. Same with Ozil. 3 good years, then falls off a cliff with Arteta,

Both players were trailing off before he came right? and then both sounded liked they did not want to buy into is methods. Seems very similar to Rafa. 

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Both players were trailing off before he came right? and then both sounded liked they did not want to buy into is methods. Seems very similar to Rafa. 

not great, but still better than Bruce’s method of trying to be everyone’s mate and giving them new long contracts.

2 hours ago, khay said:

Not PEA. 

Ozil was in and out with Emery as well. Another manager who isn’t suited to managing elite players. 

Rafa was never good at it which is why he failed at Real Madrid and Inter. 

Managing ego’s is a dying art in management. Zidane and Ancelotti standout. Tbh it was one of Solskjaer’s biggest strengths and a major reason he lasted so long. Ralf’s come in and struggled with egos from day 1.  

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

How on earth did Everton spend so much despite being under FFP restrictions?

Absolutely fucking pointless.

All is basically free in the short deem VDB is a loan. They sold Digne too. 

Also, FFP is the biggest bullshit rule in football. 

On 01/02/2022 at 09:58, TaylorJ_01 said:

Loved that window, loads of bizarre, complicated deals and last minute releases. 

You'll love to hear how our deal with PEA is structured, then.

It was going to be a year and a half deal. Problem? Since we couldn't move Dembelé we didn't have enough wage cap. So instead he's signed for 3.5 years, with a provision to optionally buy him out in 2023. That way we are spreading the salary for 18 months of contract over 3 seasons and a half, and can fit him under the cap.

On 02/02/2022 at 12:23, The College Dropout said:

Managing ego’s is a dying art in management. Zidane and Ancelotti standout. Tbh it was one of Solskjaer’s biggest strengths and a major reason he lasted so long. Ralf’s come in and struggled with egos from day 1.  

I’m no expert on the subject, but hasn’t Xidane fallen out with loads of players? Bale, Rodriguez, Hakimi, Navas, Kovacic etc? Plus I don’t think it was a strength of Solskjaer- he was trying to be that friendly with them all that he had no strength at all to deal with any of the egos, and they ended up playing how they wanted rather than how he wanted. 

6 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I’m no expert on the subject, but hasn’t Xidane fallen out with loads of players? Bale, Rodriguez, Hakimi, Navas, Kovacic etc? Plus I don’t think it was a strength of Solskjaer- he was trying to be that friendly with them all that he had no strength at all to deal with any of the egos, and they ended up playing how they wanted rather than how he wanted. 

Managing egos doesn't mean to be pals with every star. Being decisive and having the authority and respect to be able to cut out the rotten apples is a big part of the job. 

Rafa is too much of a wonk, in that regard.

Edited by Village Idiot

5 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

Managing egos doesn't mean to be pals with every star. Being decisive and having the authority and respect to be able to cut out the rotten apples is a big part of the job. 

Rafa is too much of a wonk, in that regard.

True. But I don’t think Ole was either decisive or had the authority. Haven’t a clue about the Real players under Zidane, but it seems like he fell out with a large number- they can’t all have been bad apples, surely? 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

True. But I don’t think Ole was either decisive or had the authority. Haven’t a clue about the Real players under Zidane, but it seems like he fell out with a large number- they can’t all have been bad apples, surely? 

By all accounts Zidane was never an easy going dude, but he did run a tight ship, and got people to buy in. Maybe if he doesn't win that first CL the wheels go off, but we'll never know. But his management of Real Madrid's dressing room - historically a powder keg - was imho his best quality as a manager.

I'd say that he was right in pushing off Bale and Rodríguez. Bale's career at Real Madrid is underrated, but he no longer gave a damn at the time Zidane tried to get rid of him. Rodríguez  was lazy.