Other clubs' transfers

Greg

30 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Just having this debate with a mate:

who's the most overrated player in your lifetime...

Appreciate this is dependent on number of factors.

Depends on how you define overrated. If you are thinking overrated the top end of the pool,  look at the Balon d'or winners around 1996 to 2002, one name stands out:

Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, Figo, Owen,  Ronaldo.

Don't get me wrong, he was a brilliant striker for us and one of the most exciting 18 year old I have seen playing for us. But the Balon d'or? Especially since his single season goalscoring statistics have been comfortably eclipsed at LFC itself by Torres, Suarez, Salah and maybe  Jota this season. 

At the other end, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain. I have seen him play for 4-5 years and I still have no clue what his best position is? Yet to see a game where he dominates and leaves the mark. He is a nice guy and puts out really good social media content. But other than that, not sure what the fuss , whatever little he had, is.

I think Beckham is actually underated as a footballer. You dont get 115 caps for England for nowt. Rarely ever mentioned as one of the best midfielders to play in the league, doesn't get half the adulation as a footballer as Keane or inexplicably Scholes gets for that Man Utd team. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I think Beckham is actually underated as a footballer. You dont get 115 caps for England for nowt. Rarely ever mentioned as one of the best midfielders to play in the league, doesn't get half the adulation as a footballer as Keane or inexplicably Scholes gets for that Man Utd team. 

He got 115 England caps because Sven was in love with him and picked him regardless 

23 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

His celebrity profile was out of whack with his footballer profile but he was a genuinely great footballer. He was a two or three trick pony but he did those three tricks at a level only few footballers in history could. He is one of the all-time PL greats as a right midfielder. Worked hard, helped his fullback in defense and give him an inch and he could put a cross on a dime for the strikers. 

Guest neesy111
22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He got 115 England caps because Sven was in love with him and picked him regardless 

Capello picked him loads even deeper in his career.

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

Capello picked him loads even deeper in his career.

Both where wrong to do so imo, don’t get me wrong, it’s been a massive issue throughout all England squads including the latest where players aren’t picked on form.

Guest neesy111
Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Both where wrong to do so imo, don’t get me wrong, it’s been a massive issue throughout all England squads including the latest where players aren’t picked on form.

Tell me the other options available to him?

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

To Beckham?

Off the top of my head I can’t remember the squads from that far back, but the point I’m making is he was rarely picked on form. Best example being the 2002 World Cup squad when he wasn’t fully fit. 

49 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Depends on how you define overrated. If you are thinking overrated the top end of the pool,  look at the Balon d'or winners around 1996 to 2002, one name stands out:

Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, Figo, Owen,  Ronaldo.

Don't get me wrong, he was a brilliant striker for us and one of the most exciting 18 year old I have seen playing for us. But the Balon d'or? Especially since his single season goalscoring statistics have been comfortably eclipsed at LFC itself by Torres, Suarez, Salah and maybe  Jota this season. 

At the other end, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain. I have seen him play for 4-5 years and I still have no clue what his best position is? Yet to see a game where he dominates and leaves the mark. He is a nice guy and puts out really good social media content. But other than that, not sure what the fuss , whatever little he had, is.

Glad someone else agrees about Oxlade Chamberlain. Nothing player for me. 

Guest neesy111

What?  The ox is a good player, that injury ruined him as he was in great form before it.  England would've won the 2018 SF Vs Croatia with him imo.

Don't think there was many wingers around through the 00s which could've rightly usurped Beckham. Wright-Phillips, Milner, Lennon, Downing are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. McManaman, Redknapp, Anderton going further back. Pretty sure the likes of Barmby and Trevor Sinclair were in the side in the early noughties. So Beckham easily stands out imo. 

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Just having this debate with a mate:

who's the most overrated player in your lifetime...

Appreciate this is dependent on number of factors.

Roberto Carlos.

Edited by Sima

I absolutely hated Ruud van Nistelrooy. He was a brilliant goalscorer and always in the right place but he must have been the worst pure footballer to be granted the superstar status.