Other clubs' transfers

Greg

On 03/02/2022 at 17:21, The College Dropout said:

Zidane same thing but with success.  He managed that squads egos so well, he got a good tune out of players that were unhappy (Bale, James).  He didn’t have to banish them to the reserves because they couldn’t be around the squad. 

I don’t think Ancelotti fancies Bale or Hazard but I don’t expect any major fallouts.  

Ancelotti is one of the best man managers around. With Zidane, his stature in world football is such that he could probably walk up to Ronaldo and ask him to put out cones and then ask Modric to make and bring tea to his office. Easier to make others fall in line when you are one of the biggest living legends in the history of the game.  Not quite sure if you could classify that under man management.

But even as a player you could see that he was a natural born leader. There was no doubt who was the captain of the dressing room when he played. 

So I've just started playing FM 22, and thought I'd tidy up the data before playing. In the process I looked at Man U since they always remain a fucking world powerhouse. The way Man U fans have been crying about investment and shit, I really thought they were hard done by, but seemingly they've spent £1bn on players over the last 10 years?!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/alletransfers/verein/985

[emoji38] 

1 hour ago, OCK said:

So I've just started playing FM 22, and thought I'd tidy up the data before playing. In the process I looked at Man U since they always remain a fucking world powerhouse. The way Man U fans have been crying about investment and shit, I really thought they were hard done by, but seemingly they've spent £1bn on players over the last 10 years?!

[emoji38] 

Far and away the biggest failure given their spend over the last 10 years. A decade of waste, both financially and on the field. Amazed we feature so high up in fairness.

7 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Far and away the biggest failure given their spend over the last 10 years. A decade of waste, both financially and on the field. Amazed we feature so high up in fairness.

Also, that’s just on transfer fees and doesn’t incorporate wages.

On 11/02/2022 at 19:37, OCK said:

[emoji38] 

Only seeing this. Absolutely not what the issue is.

- The Glazers bought the club with a loan, and then saddled the club with the debt from the loan.

- We have spent a lot on transfers, but all from the clubs revenue. The Glazers have invested £0 of their own money. 

- They don't back the club managers and rather make signings they think will be investments rather than provide success on the field. 

- They pay themselves huge dividends. They've taken 100's of millions out of the club for their own pocket.

- Stadium falling to pieces while dividends taken out every year.

Some examples:

- Pogba allowed to leave for free, only to be signed for a club record fee, and now allowed to leave for free again. 

- Herrera, a good player who absolutely loved the club, allowed to leave for free. He is the sort of player we're desperate for right now.

- Lingard, a player multiple teams wanted, going to be allowed to leave for free. We could have got £15-20m for him in the summer.

- We refused to sign Alderweireld for £40m for Mourinho, but spent £80m on Maguire.

- Money wasted on Phil Jones. I think we've paid him almost £20m for basically a handful of games.

- Alexis Sanchez. We paid a ton of his wages while he was at Inter.

Vast majority of all the transfer mistakes were down to Woodward, but he's a Glazer yes man. We are, or were, the most powerful club in the world in terms of revenue, fanbase and stature but the club has been run so bad for so long that we are lagging behind the top sides now.

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but, Jack Wilshere, just signed for a team in Denmark. What an absolute waste of a career that was. The talent on the guy compared to what’s he’s done is ridiculous. 

On 02/02/2022 at 04:07, The College Dropout said:

There's also something about Arteta/Arsenal that he can't get a tune out of established top players consistently.

PEA's attitude and professionalism was good enough to tear up the league for what 3 years and become captain? Not long with Arteta and the wheels fell off. Same with Ozil. 3 good years, then falls off a cliff with Arteta,

How much of that is because a demand for equality of contribution? 

I must admit, the whole 'sign da ting' stuff made me queasy. It was clearly Ozil 2.0 and the fawning over him was like watching a toxic couple get back together again. I also think he'll be rife for revisionism now he looks like starting well with Barcelona. The reality is he's far more suited - like Ozil - to being a compliment in a top team (Barca are still a top team domestically) than a game changer like De Bruyne or Yaya Toure. 

5 minutes ago, Thiago said:

How much of that is because a demand for equality of contribution? 

I must admit, the whole 'sign da ting' stuff made me queasy. It was clearly Ozil 2.0 and the fawning over him was like watching a toxic couple get back together again. I also think he'll be rife for revisionism now he looks like starting well with Barcelona. The reality is he's far more suited - like Ozil - to being a compliment in a top team (Barca are still a top team domestically) than a game changer like De Bruyne or Yaya Toure. 

Barcelona now is a much lower level than arsenal 

45 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Barcelona now is a much lower level than arsenal 

Funnily enough they've same number of points even though Arsenal have played a game more. 

That's why I said domestically Barca are a top team still. They've fallen far, but even now they're in the top four, their players are better. The competition in the Premier League is higher than La Liga.