Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Always found Craig Bellamy to be underrated outside of our fanbase.

Overrated: the reputation Recoba had for a period of time was a bit over the top. Same with Quaresma.

Aye, that seems to be a thing over here. Pick a player who the mainstream fans and media don’t highlight repeatedly, then repeatedly say he’s under-rated or not getting the credit they deserve to the point they start getting rated and more credit than they deserve.

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Thiago Motta far too underrated for me.

I do wonder how he'd do these days. He was essentially someone that just kept it moving and ticking along. I think the further back in time you place him the better he probably looks because he consistently made the smart decisions. I fear now he'd be seen as lacking dynamism.

Rui Costa and Guti are criminally underrated. 

Which reminds me, Guti he held his own in a team full of Galacticos that didn't really achieve much and yet Zidane of all people manages to pull plaudits for being one of the worlds greatest and yet someone like Iniesta never gets into that conversation, and I don't understand why.  

Zidane was obviousuly an amazing player and deserves to be in the conversation of greats, but not near the very top like he always is. 

*tin hat firmly on*

Edited by Thumbheed

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, that seems to be a thing over here. Pick a player who the mainstream fans and media don’t highlight repeatedly, then repeatedly say he’s under-rated or not getting the credit they deserve to the point they start getting rated and more credit than they deserve.

This was what happened with Michael Carrick. 

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

This was what happened with Michael Carrick. 

I have to admit I had a bit of a laugh whenever that started happening. He was a very good player, but people were talking about him like he was the second coming of Keane and Scholes all rolled into one.

Guest HTT II
11 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I'd throw Giroud in the underrated bracket.

Edit: Gilberto Silva too.

Both great shouts, Giroud is a beast, I never understood why he wasn’t the main man at Arsenal and Gilberto was better than Vieira IMO.

Guest HTT II
11 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Under-rated. Yakubu. Something like 1 in 2.5 game average without playing at a top club. Quality.

He was brilliant at what he did, a top player IMO.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

Rui Costa and Guti are criminally underrated. 

Which reminds me, Guti he held his own in a team full of Galacticos that didn't really achieve much and yet Zidane of all people manages to pull plaudits for being one of the worlds greatest and yet someone like Iniesta never gets into that conversation, and I don't understand why.  

Zidane was obviousuly an amazing player and deserves to be in the conversation of greats, but not near the very top like he always is. 

*tin hat firmly on*

True great players can change a game in a flash, a team or the course of a season or tournament by their sheer presence and genius and Zidane did that for club and country. I’ve not seen a better individual maestro type performance than Zidane against Brazil and I’m not talking in the final game they won in ‘98. Zidane was a great footballer and didn’t need crazy goals or assist level stats to provide it, he did it in the way he played and how he played. That’s a part of a player’s game that is now often overlooked in the age of stats and heat maps and other stuff. 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Annoying how he was denied a work permit to sign for Derby after being with the club for a month or so, never understood that at the time, but apparently he married a Portuguese lass which allowed him to sign for Portsmouth.

I always wanted us to sign him at the time, he was a quirky type of forward if that makes sense, but an instinctive finisher. The Nigerian Defoe maybe, that type of player?

Never seen anyone with such touch and awareness as Zidane.

Not that I can really remember the details, but he’s like a ballet dancer and matador combined, almost never gives the ball away or makes a mistake. 

Iniesta is probably my favourite ever player though, the combination of movement with the ball and passing and finishing is very, very rare. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo