Other clubs' transfers

Greg

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

That midfield was rated as arguably the best in Europe for at least 3 years. Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs. 1 Champions League final. 1 semi final. Over 6 years.

Ability-wise he wasn't in that top bracket. In Europe when less aggression was allowed they couldn't dominate midfields. Keane didn't have that ability. Could he have gone to Serie A or La Liga and performed?

Yaya Toure was a better footballer.

Also that Invincible team were a little under-rated. IMO if the refereeing was better and protected players more they would've defended the league title.

He was a better player than Gattuso IMO who was a mainstay in that Milan team. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Ability-wise he wasn't in that top bracket. In Europe when less aggression was allowed they couldn't dominate midfields. Keane didn't have that ability. Could he have gone to Serie A or La Liga and performed?

Mental opinion. He absolutely was in the top bracket for ability and he was much more than just an aggressive midfielder. 

Could he have a gone to Serie A and performed? Ask Juventus in 1999. A midfield of Zidane, Deschamps and Davids couldn't get near him. 

Edited by Froggy

That Juventus side got to 3 Champions League finals in a row and the semis in the next. Winning it or losing to the winners.  That midfield was consistently better. Neither Deschamps the water carrier or Davids are as valorised as players as Keane, despite greater success.  

Again Gattusso is not valorised as the best central midfielder Serie A has ever seen. 

I remember Redondo milly rocking all over Old Trafford. Keane was scoring own goals. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

That Juventus side got to 3 Champions League finals in a row and the semis in the next. Winning it or losing to the winners.  That midfield was consistently better. Neither Deschamps the water carrier or Davids are as valorised as players as Keane, despite greater success.  

Again Gattusso is not valorised as the best central midfielder Serie A has ever seen. 

I remember Redondo milly rocking all over Old Trafford. Keane was scoring own goals. 

Redondo is one of the most underrated players of all time so you won't hear me say a bad word about him. I rarely hear his name when people talk about the best ever defensive midfielders. 

Keane was elite though, absolutely no doubt about that. It's not Man United bias either, as I wouldn't argue with people saying Beckham was overrated. 

Guest HTT II

Keane, if anything, was underrated, such a dominant player he was for his team. Not the most gifted, but he could pass, shoot, defend, and had an amazing engine. He was truly inspirational in terms of his character, professionalism and attitude on the pitch when it comes to winning too which is rare in a player. I don’t buy his hard man image, however, he was a bit of a gob shite and liked to square up to players, but he could get away with it and was protected in ways Shearer was for us too. The difference being, Shearer never pretended to be some hard man or went out onto the pitch to act as such, he just played his tough and rough CF role to perfection. Keane often overstepped the mark in that respect. 

Edited by HTT II

13 hours ago, Froggy said:

Redondo is one of the most underrated players of all time so you won't hear me say a bad word about him. I rarely hear his name when people talk about the best ever defensive midfielders. 

Keane was elite though, absolutely no doubt about that. It's not Man United bias either, as I wouldn't argue with people saying Beckham was overrated. 

Redondo was also a "one in three" player, you never knew who was going to turn up; the midfield ghost or the sublime attacker...

3 hours ago, Sima said:

Keane was absolutely class, like.

Doesn't belong anywhere near a conversation around overrated midfielders.  He would have got in any team in the world.

A lot of Keane was down to his attitude and leadership abilities. He was never the greatest passer, or goal scorer, but he had an 'aura' that droves his team mates to a higher level and intimidated the opposition.  It's rare now, but not many teams now rely on one player as a talisman to get results.

In terms of technical ability he'd not get near the top 100 for midfielders, but in terms of influence he'd easily be in the top ten.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

A lot of Keane was down to his attitude and leadership abilities. He was never the greatest passer, or goal scorer, but he had an 'aura' that droves his team mates to a higher level and intimidated the opposition.  It's rare now, but not many teams now rely on one player as a talisman to get results.

In terms of technical ability he'd not get near the top 100 for midfielders, but in terms of influence he'd easily be in the top ten.

He had technical ability, his passing was precise and consistent and his control was instant, watch some of his goals and control, he definitely had technique. Don’t confuse technique with flair which he did not have, but that comes from the brain, the imagination.

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He had technical ability, his passing was precise and consistent and his control was instant, watch some of his goals and control, he definitely had technique. Don’t confuse technique with flair which he did not have, but that comes from the brain, the imagination.

Not arguing that, just that his best attributes were drive. motivation, intimidation and leadership.

Like Shearer and Gerrard, he could take control of a game by himself when drag players through to results they didn't necessarily deserve.

Guest HTT II
18 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Not arguing that, just that his best attributes were drive. motivation, intimidation and leadership.

Like Shearer and Gerrard, he could take control of a game by himself when drag players through to results they didn't necessarily deserve.

:thup:

3 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Ramos is probably the best recent example. He was never the best CB defensively but brought so much to the team with his leadership and drive. They regularly fell apart without him and I think he made Varane look twice the CB he actually is. 

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Viduka and Berbatov were two of my favorites that were probably underrated. 

Aye they were both sublime forwards!

14 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Always wanted us to sign David Dunn when he was at Blackburn. Always remember him scoring quite a lot of goals from midfield. Probably one of  the best Undr the Cosh interviews as well. 

Funny when he talked about scoring that winning penalty.