Other clubs' transfers

Greg

49 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Strange how people say Maguire and Pickford perform well for England, when 90% of the time they are playing against pub sides.

As have all of the other England players in those matches. They've also performed consistently against the best teams in major tournaments. Scoring goals, defending well, making saves, and performing in shootouts.

Maguire's a laughing stock at Man United and Pickford's been a liability in the past for Everton, but up until now they've been completely different players as soon as they put on an England shirt.

Edited by Kid Icarus

16 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I think Beckham is actually underated as a footballer. You dont get 115 caps for England for nowt. Rarely ever mentioned as one of the best midfielders to play in the league, doesn't get half the adulation as a footballer as Keane or inexplicably Scholes gets for that Man Utd team. 

There's a reason. Beckham isn't even close to Keane or Scholes, like not even remotely close.

Just now, triggs said:

Robben was a far better player than Ribery. As good as anyone bar Messi and Ronaldo for a long time

I hated Robben but he's one of the best players I've ever watched. Everyone knew exactly what he was going to do, but couldn't do much about it. His volley against us still makes me sick. 

34 minutes ago, jack j said:

From a newcastle player point of view

Cabaye

Agree. He rarely dominated matches apart from his last season when he was playing for a move (he was class during that period). He had the Halo effect on a lot of people. (Not just by his 'good looks' but also for being a 'flair' player type). 

Didier Drogba. People talk about him as though he's in the same class as someone like Shearer or Batistuta. Yeah, Chelsea would never have won the CL without him, but  overall his game was nothing memorable. 

Well done to him, and his team-mates, for stopping a war, though. :hello2:

Guest HTT II

With Drogba it wasn’t about his goal numbers, it was about his presence for that team and what it meant to them and just as importantly the opposition, in that sense he was an absolute giant of a player and kind of redefined the old CF role which with the old guard with the likes of Shearer was dying out. In many ways I’d say he was underrated myself. I can see why some didn’t rate him mind, another marmite type player.

Guest HTT II
43 minutes ago, Froggy said:

There's a reason. Beckham isn't even close to Keane or Scholes, like not even remotely close.

He did have that Keane effect on England as a leader, but with superior passing. It’s harsh to even compare him to Scholes, however, who for me is arguably the most talented of England payers I’ve seen alongside Gazza, but more all-round and of course a proper professional.

6 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

People where arguing Beckham on 115 caps meant he wasn’t overrated, and really I’m also talking generally as well. Getting an international cap is not difficult these days. Look at some of the qualifying groups England have had over the last few years, we literally play pub teams the majority of the time.

I always thought Beckham was overrated.

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think Keane is over rated. Very much a premier league legend. But would he have been so successful abroad? 

he did win the Champions League and played in a World Cup that should have been two. 

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

I will say, looking from outside, you overrated Lascelles for a while and now you’re overrating Burn in a very similar way. That’s just natural fan stuff though.

I can honestly say I never rated Lascelles, never mind over rate him.

11 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

he did win the Champions League and played in a World Cup that should have been two. 

That midfield was rated as arguably the best in Europe for at least 3 years. Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs. 1 Champions League final. 1 semi final. Over 6 years.

Ability-wise he wasn't in that top bracket. In Europe when less aggression was allowed they couldn't dominate midfields. Keane didn't have that ability. Could he have gone to Serie A or La Liga and performed?

Yaya Toure was a better footballer.

Also that Invincible team were a little under-rated. IMO if the refereeing was better and protected players more they would've defended the league title.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

I will say, looking from outside, you overrated Lascelles for a while and now you’re overrating Burn in a very similar way. That’s just natural fan stuff though.

Usually goes tits up when people start shouting for them to get an England call up

I'd rather we had no players playing for England tbh and fresh and ready for us...

8 hours ago, McCormick said:

I think another consideration to be taken into account is whether those players could thrive in “modern” playing styles. I imagine a good few former Ballon D’or nominees would struggle under high-energy/ pressing systems.

The other way of looking at it, is how much better those players could have been with today’s training, techniques, diets, etc.

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

I hate him but we also had no right to qualify from that group for the 02 World Cup with class Portugal and Netherlands teams and he was the driving force behind that