Other clubs' transfers

Greg

I'm sure we're in a position to match any offer Brighton make both to the club and player...if we don't it'll be down to Rafa not fancying him. Rafa will probably want someone a bit more physical and certainly more experienced.

I'm sure we're in a position to match any offer Brighton make both to the club and player...if we don't it'll be down to Rafa not fancying him. Rafa will probably want someone a bit more physical and certainly more experienced.

He's really physical like isn't he? Why are you so sure also?

I wanted him in the summer when he was supposed to go to OM for £20m. At that price we should be all over him, takeover or no takeover.

If the takeover is close then no doubt we would be a more attractive position with Rafa at the club than Brighton.

Guessing the bigger clubs want to wait a few years before taking the plunge? At the moment he's done no more than Scott Sinclair, Nathan Redmond, etc. Good in the Championship/SPL, probably is good enough for the Premier League but no way of knowing yet. Could see him at a mid-table or lower Premier League level club first (Southampton, Stoke, us or someone of that ilk) before the elite start considering him.

Yeah and I guess that's part of the problem with today's market. I mean they could invest in him for what is a cheap price in today's market and maybe loan him out to the likes of us or Brighton. But instead if he comes good there then the big clubs will be paying insane money for him in 18 months or more as per usual.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve not seen him play, but you have to bear in mind the SPL is probably on a par with the lower end of the Championship/Top end of League One. If he’s as talented as people make out, a move to Brighton could turn out a great move and if he establishes himself and becomes a top player, he’ll move to a top club anyway.

Yeah and I guess that's part of the problem with today's market. I mean they could invest in him for what is a cheap price in today's market and maybe loan him out to the likes of us or Brighton. But instead if he comes good there then the big clubs will be paying insane money for him in 18 months or more as per usual.

They'd probably prefer to pay £40-50m when he's the finished article than under half of that, loan him out for a couple of years when it's uncertain. Spurs probably the exception.

I’ve not seen him play, but you have to bear in mind the SPL is probably on a par with the lower end of the Championship/Top end of League One. If he’s as talented as people make out, a move to Brighton could turn out a great move and if he establishes himself and becomes a top player, he’ll move to a top club anyway.

No doubt any young player who is showing promising signs will have some sort of ‘big club’ release clause included in their contracts in anyway. I would bet he would even have a ‘Premier League club’ or ‘Premier League club in Europe’ release clause in his Celtic contract.

It's a fair point, if he was world class at this stage playing in that Celtic team be should be getting 50 or 60 goals really. I could be wrong but I don't think he's come anywhere near that level.