Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Nathan Collins has now had 3 summer transfers in a row totalling £64 million...

And I can honestly say I have no idea who the kid is?

Stoke

Burnley

Wolves

And now Brentford

Honestly today highlights how mad the game has gone.

2 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Nathan Collins has now had 3 summer transfers in a row totalling £64 million...

And I can honestly say I have no idea who the kid is?

Stoke

Burnley

Wolves

And now Brentford

Honestly today highlights how mad the game has gone.

Yet somehow we can’t a single player for money. 

4 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

Thiago Alcantara rumored to be in negotiation with Al Ahli

If that were to go through, how would you class his time with Liverpool?

Shown undoubted class at times but on the whole seems to have been underwhelming, perhaps mainly because of injury, and the fact that there was real high expectations when he signed and what he showed initially.

5 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

Thiago Alcantara rumored to be in negotiation with Al Ahli

Henderson linked with moving to Gerrard’s club. Explains why they’ve cast the net so wide for midfielders, it’s basically replacing the whole lot. Keita, Thiago, Henderson and Milner for Thuram, Szlob, Mac Allister and Lavia. Hell of an energy upgrade.

12 hours ago, Yorkie said:

£19m for a goalie who's only played at League One level in club football. Wowzer. 

Man City just printing money with their academy. 

that’s the difference. It’s where we aim to be in five years time, and I’m glad the club are actively now going down that route with Minteh/Kuol etc. Chelsea & City can sell their built up over time assets for extraordinary fees, which protects them from

FFP, something which we are unable to do. 

we’ve raked in £15m or so since Howe came and spent £300m. It’s why I’ve said you have to be ruthless in this business. We should have sold or sell saint-maximin this summer. We can’t afford to carry players who produce one magical game and then get injured and are out for 10 games. I love ASM but with the FFP clearly an issue, we need to consider it, and extract maximum value.

22 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

that’s the difference. It’s where we aim to be in five years time, and I’m glad the club are actively now going down that route with Minteh/Kuol etc. Chelsea & City can sell their built up over time assets for extraordinary fees, which protects them from

FFP, something which we are unable to do. 

we’ve raked in £15m or so since Howe came and spent £300m. It’s why I’ve said you have to be ruthless in this business. We should have sold or sell saint-maximin this summer. We can’t afford to carry players who produce one magical game and then get injured and are out for 10 games. I love ASM but with the FFP clearly an issue, we need to consider it, and extract maximum value.

Breeding then selling young prospects has a much bigger FFP connotation than buying young and cheap and selling, but yeah, you have to say, massive financial cheats though City and Chelsea are, and have been for years, they've been canny enough to not forget the other end of things, the youth sales.

What makes this interesting now is that a lot of Championship and newly promoted PL clubs look at exactly this sort of end of the market, and have the money to buy in it, as well. 

As an example, if we sold Cameron Archer this summer - which I hope we do not - I reckon he'd fetch close to £20m, for a player who had barely featured for us, but had definitively 'done it' at Championship level. 

A while ago I remember reading an interview with someone high up in a PL academy - it might have been ours, I genuinely can't remember - and he was saying that given the vast numbers of players who go in and never make it, people don't realise what a huge impact the occasional sale at even 5m or 10m makes - both in terms of the costs of running an academy, but other things like FFP, and the immense amount of both effort and luck needed from both club and player to get them to that point.

4 minutes ago, Sima said:

Liverpool getting tens of millions from Saudi clubs is going to fucking sting a little.

It’ll sting a lot. Klopp won’t be blocking those moves based on his high horse moralism will he. Happy to take the “dirty blood money” and invest in building his club.