Other clubs' transfers

Greg

41 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

They are trying to catch up to us and we have the best signing of the summer between the two.

They will be tough, but I see no reason to be fearful or jealous.

Tonali is going ball and we’re all going to be like :lol: 

Bruno and Tonali in the center ffs. Best CM pairing we’ve ever had?

6 hours ago, Disco said:

At the same time I’d not be in the slightest bit shocked if Brighton fall away a bit this season after being worked out and we all finish outside the old top 6 due to lack of depth and being unable to balance too many games. 

Then again, more than fair chance ye olde Tottingham Hotspurs continue to be a car crash which would be delightful.

There's just a faint whiff of Southampton about Brighton. They've had tremendous early success by finding some hidden gems, but now they'll find sterner competition when they go in for players in the mold of Felipe Caicedo etc. I think Premier League teams are starting to see the viability of South American based players in the wake of Brexit. The system Brighton use relies heavily on a consistent and efficient recruitment process which is difficult to nail. I'd argue the life cycle of a player U23 in that system is typically 18 months.

We did outrageously well to only sign one duffer during the January 2022 window, so imagine what it's like when you're paying between 5-10m for 5-6 young players that you're trying to gauge the ceiling of. In general, it's impossible to have every transfer hit. 

It's the same reason I'm not fully convinced by Aston Villa just yet.

They've dropped 31m on a defender that's great on the ball but shite in the air. If he replaces Mings in the side they could be very susceptible from set pieces. Diaby seems a better fit for the Premier League, but if it's true they're after Doku that's another big signing that is new to the league and you're hoping hits the ground running. 

Tottenham I'm still undecided on. I do like Ange, but I'm curious to see if he adapts his system to the fact Tottenham don't have the talent disparity Celtic do. 

Edited by Viana

35 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Tonali is going ball and we’re all going to be like :lol: 

Bruno and Tonali in the center ffs. Best CM pairing we’ve ever had?

Yeah potentially, both are class players, but, in the modern era, what about “the dogs of war” (as Keegan called them)?

image.png.efe5fb35705c1313cdd4a738dca74494.png

Rob Lee cost £700k and Batty £3.5m. So, pound for pound the best pairing for me. In a year or two I will hopefully think differently.

2 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

They are trying to catch up to us and we have the best signing of the summer between the two.

They will be tough, but I see no reason to be fearful or jealous.

I don't think we've improved our first XI yet in the way they have like, and they already caught up last year tbh, they were brilliant after Emery took over and had he got in a little sooner they could have properly challenged for the Champions League.

The hope for us next season, imo, is that our improved squad depth will allow us to play at our best more consistently across a full season. It's not as exciting a window as I think many of us would like but we were really dominant against the majority of the league due to Howe's style of play anyway, no reason that should change.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Nice one to Villa for Diaby. Ambitious move.

Personally, I welcome more teams scrapping it out at the top. Aside from our own results, every point Villa, Brighton, Brentford etc. take off Liverpool, Man United, Tottenham etc. is a good one. I fully look forward to Diaby smashing it past Allison and Mitoma knocking one past Onana. The more any Sky six club embraced the European Super League, the more I want them to lose. I don't want to see Villa beat say Burnley, but that's because you have to cheer the underdog.

I'd happily see us finish behind Villa or Brighton on merit and would prefer that to us finishing behind Chelsea due to FFP, i.e., our owners not being allowed to put in money to a level that would be easily sustainable for them. For all Villa, Brighton and even us buy good players and develop good playing styles, when push comes to shove, when its "orange card" time or a team is one goal down in a game featuring delays, it'll be the Sky Six who get the extra minutes added on or the yellow not red card. Just rewatch Brighton-Tottenham to see how bad it can be.

Just now, Froggy said:

That was entirely down to the owners of said clubs. 

I'd agree with that, TBF the fans of those clubs are what made the owners change their mind through the protests.

On the face of it that looks like an excellent signing for Villa and enough to get some of our bedwetters going on social media ? He seems like the type of player we could’ve done with but Howe et al have their plan and we’ll still be pretty potent especially with Barnes coming in.

Im not keen on Villa but agree on sentiments about other teams including us upsetting the Apple cart of the top 6. I actually had this very conversation with a Villa fan a few months back and we both agreed on this irrespective of any club rivalry. 

3 hours ago, Viana said:

There's just a faint whiff of Southampton about Brighton. They've had tremendous early success by finding some hidden gems, but now they'll find sterner competition when they go in for players in the mold of Felipe Caicedo etc. I think Premier League teams are starting to see the viability of South American based players in the wake of Brexit. The system Brighton use relies heavily on a consistent and efficient recruitment process which is difficult to nail. I'd argue the life cycle of a player U23 in that system is typically 18 months.

We did outrageously well to only sign one duffer during the January 2022 window, so imagine what it's like when you're paying between 5-10m for 5-6 young players that you're trying to gauge the ceiling of. In general, it's impossible to have every transfer hit. 

It's the same reason I'm not fully convinced by Aston Villa just yet.

They've dropped 31m on a defender that's great on the ball but shite in the air. If he replaces Mings in the side they could be very susceptible from set pieces. Diaby seems a better fit for the Premier League, but if it's true they're after Doku that's another big signing that is new to the league and you're hoping hits the ground running. 

Tottenham I'm still undecided on. I do like Ange, but I'm curious to see if he adapts his system to the fact Tottenham don't have the talent disparity Celtic do. 

Agree with most of this , Villa and Brighton are still a level below us , they also have the Europa league and conference league which always impacts on your league season. Spurs I’m not even convinced are at the same level as Villa and Brighton are now , depends on this new manager but the squad they have is still poor apart from Kane and it showed last season. I think it’s likely we will be some way behind Man City and Arsenal again , also think Liverpool will improve a lot . Leaves us and Man United battling for 4th. Chelsea the only ones I am unsure about  , they could challenge for 4th but could  equally also end up about 8th.

Edited by Geogaddi

Villa could be very good next season and could end up ahead of us but i doubt it. They seem to have recruited well and have good manager. Honestly it's good for the league to have us villa and Brighton competing for the champions League places, I'd be a lot more pissed if somehow boehlyball pays off. I think villa will be there it there abouts but Brighton do fear for a bit they're brilliant at changing but i think there may be a glass ceiling to it. Liverpool will be much better too but are still in transition

Got a soft spot for Villa. Years ago I went to see us play them at theirs. Could only get in a home stand. Kept my mouth shut until we scored. It was then obvious I was a toon fan. After the shock the lads around me were decent and even looked after me when some others wanted to leave me with a different kind of memory. All in all they were good to me. 
And Brummie is one of the best posters on here.

I can forgive the banner. Every club has its knackers. It’s England ffs…..what do you expect?

Diaby and Doku are good players. A bit overrated, especially Diaby, but good. But to compete for CL spots Villa lacks a top striker: Watkins is average and they have only him. 

37 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Villa could be very good next season and could end up ahead of us but i doubt it. They seem to have recruited well and have good manager. Honestly it's good for the league to have us villa and Brighton competing for the champions League places, I'd be a lot more pissed if somehow boehlyball pays off. I think villa will be there it there abouts but Brighton do fear for a bit they're brilliant at changing but i think there may be a glass ceiling to it. Liverpool will be much better too but are still in transition

I don't see why, other than historical probability, that Brighton can't keep it up.

Granted if loads of clubs are trying to game the conveyor belt of cheap talent it'll be harder but they're a very well run club. See also Brentford. 

It's a wierd pre-season for me. I'm absolutely excited for it but I'm realistic about us and, for that matter, the rest of the league. 

It's universally acknowledged we've jumped the gun. Ahead of ourselves to a great degree and the players that did that, with some additions, need to do it again. If that's the same level as last season then great but if loads of other teams do better than last year then it'll be tough. 

Man City, Arsenal and Man U will be better. Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea have to be. Villa will be. Brentford and Brighton will carry on winning games and being hard to beat. 

God knows at least 2 others will rise out of the pack. 

However, as we saw last year, it doesn't always graft. Signings don't always graft and managers lose the plot. 

Think Brentford may struggle without Toney

Brighton also will dip unless Ferguson or Enciso become 15 goal a season strikers

Spurs could surprise because there are low expectations and also not in Europe. But without Kane I can’t see anyone replacing those numbers, would need to be more spread out. Richarlison would become main man. 

Liverpool will be back. 

Arsenal will now have big expectations and for a young team it might hit them. 

2 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Brighton are the best run club ever, what they've done is incredible. Esp when you consider they went years without a ground, constantly hovering on the brink of extinction.

My only concern with their scouting and selling thing is how many years they could withstand it not working, and if that was the case, what they'd fall back on. I also remember almost the exact same thing being said about Southampton.

I am probably overplaying it though.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

Brighton are the best run club ever, what they've done is incredible. Esp when you consider they went years without a ground, constantly hovering on the brink of extinction.

My only concern with their scouting and selling thing is how many years they could withstand it not working, and if that was the case, what they'd fall back on. I also remember almost the exact same thing being said about Southampton.

I am probably overplaying it though.

Swansea before Southampton too.