Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I think as Perez in this system as I do Kuyt in Liverpool’s system under Rafa, primarily defensive who’s objective is to close down and apply pressure to the oppositions pivots and secondarily make runs to support the striker.

Sure we could try Ritchie in this role but I’m not sure our other wingers are disciplined enough defensively to protect our fullbacks.

This is what I believe is Rafa’s thinking.

I don't buy this Hayden/Merino/Shelvey aren't number 10's argument. What and Perez is?

One of them literally has to run around to be on a par with Perez's recent performances.

We might just get one decent moment with one of them further forward.

Ritchie never played a game at 10 in his life, and at the moment has the vast majority of the assists in this team. If he drifts out wide what is the point of moving him into the centre in the first place?  If you look at our average positions against Burnley, its very regimented, Perez basically played on Joselu's toes, which I'd imagine is what Rafa want's him to do.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2m2zypx_th.png

I don't think its any surprise that there is a paucity of great players to sign as a 10, hard position to play.

Your idea of a number 10 must be different to mine.  I would want my number 10 to find space in order to affect the game in the best possible way, if that means drifting out wide at certain points of the game then so be it.  Beardsley is the best one we've had and he wasn't limited to staying through the middle.  You can't really use Perez' average position as marker for what our 10 should be doing when it's universally agreed that he's doing a s*** job  :lol:

Aye, Rafa probably does want him close to the striker but not when he's not getting a sniff of the ball or being instantly dispossessed through lack of space.

It won't happen anyway, but I think most of Richie's assists are from set pieces. So you would still get those no matter where he played.

I don't think we have a clear right-side option without him anyway, so we'd only be creating another problem.

Agree, Ritchie's quality deliveries are mostly from set pieces, he doesn't have the pace to go past defenders on the outside. He's a clever player, and a hard grafter, but not really someone to open a team up, which I think you need from a #10.

Seems a number of people also see Ritchie as the centre of three supporting attacking roles (to put it diffferently) could work/return his strengths and free up the potential of two pacey wingers with more likelihood of going past a man (skill and/or speed). Atsu on the right and Aarons or Murphy on the left would/could offer more. Not sure if they would leave the flanks anymore unprotected than they are, not least as I would fancy Ritchie to effectively close down and have a better chance of regaining possession than Perez. Trying not to be too reactive, following an embarrassing (at times) showing at Burnley, but I do think it is a time for creative solutions. Really hoping Rafa mixes it up and trys to get more attacking threat into the team, even if constrained within his preferred system(s).

Yeah Ritchie isn't a good enough passer for quite that position, but I guess if given license to roam into wide positions he could work well almost more as a second striker, but he's not going to give any midfield support

Ritchie never played a game at 10 in his life, and at the moment has the vast majority of the assists in this team. If he drifts out wide what is the point of moving him into the centre in the first place?  If you look at our average positions against Burnley, its very regimented, Perez basically played on Joselu's toes, which I'd imagine is what Rafa want's him to do.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2m2zypx_th.png

I don't think its any surprise that there is a paucity of great players to sign as a 10, hard position to play.

Your idea of a number 10 must be different to mine.  I would want my number 10 to find space in order to affect the game in the best possible way, if that means drifting out wide at certain points of the game then so be it.  Beardsley is the best one we've had and he wasn't limited to staying through the middle.  You can't really use Perez' average position as marker for what our 10 should be doing when it's universally agreed that he's doing a s*** job  :lol:

Aye, Rafa probably does want him close to the striker but not when he's not getting a sniff of the ball or being instantly dispossessed through lack of space.

Oh nah I think the same I just don't think Rafa does. I think the reason he likes him is the positional discipline, I think that if Ritchie played there it'd be much the same. Aye I know Perez has been bad but then if you look on that analysis ritchie and astsu are very positionally disciplined as well. I don't think Rafa would want to lose the graft Ritchie does and I don't personally think he'd be any better in the role than Perez

Fair points but we'll have to agree to disagree as i think Ritchie would at least do a better job than Perez ?

Guest Howaythetoon

You need someone with guile, movement and speed of thought and feet for the 10 role, Ritchie is not the answer and neither is Merino. I'd much rather we went two up front with players that dovetail together.

You need someone with guile, movement and speed of thought and feet for the 10 role, Ritchie is not the answer and neither is Merino. I'd much rather we went two up front with players that dovetail together.

Take your point re need a certain skill set, but reckon both players mentioned have the three attributes you list.

Take your point re need a certain skill set, but reckon both players mentioned have the three attributes you list.

I was thinking the same.

Guest Howaythetoon

I disagree, both are combatitive players who like to drive the team on from central and out wide. A playmaker or number 10 needs to be highly creative and quick witted in every way. Merino is a technically good player with quick thinking passing and quick feet, but he's no playmaker. Ritchie is a hard working player with limited technical ability, but he has lots of drive and a high work ethic. Mind, neither could be any worse than Perez!

Guest Howaythetoon

A number 10 doesn't need to be super creative in every way. That's not our issue. Our number 10 needs to be able to hold on to the ball better rather than lose it so often.

The way we play they do. If you want someone to hold the ball up just play a proper centre-forward or two... oh wait!

Interesting read/link in Perez thread. The relevant bit, to this, is the Spain U21 coach (Celades, very much a defensive midfielder in his day, apparently) evidently reckons Merino has what it takes to play the number 10 role. Even though I'd prefer Ritchie, not going to disagree with him, and it would mean getting Hayden, Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie and (probs) Atsu on the pitch together. 

Would like to see Merino given a shot in the number 10 role like he plays for Spain. Albeit we missed him (and Hayden) in the middle last night.

Really?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/25/mikel-merino-newcastle-borussia-dortmund-attack-team-bus-rafael-benitez

There have been sufficient defence-splitting passes from his role deep in midfield – quite a contrast to the No10 berth he occupies for Spain Under-21s – to ensure Merino can rarely traverse Tyneside anonymously.