Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

He has to stop being so stubborn and go with 2 forwards as we don't have anyone on our books anywhere near good enough to play in that number 10 role behind the striker.

Would love to see him go with Mitrovic and Gayle up front v Bournemouth on Saturday but unfortunately it's just not his way.

Can sort of understand the logic in keeping these away games tight and kind of shadow-boxing for the first half, but we always seem to concede between 45-75 mins and then only bother to pile on pressure when the opposition invite us to in the last 5-10 minutes. It's frustrating and I think a tiny, tiny bit more gung-ho attitude or willingness to be flexible on the formation at the right moments would see us get points more often.

Well summed up. Pretty much how I feel when watching us.

These 1-0 away defeats to teams equally as bad as us, is really frustrating to watch. As Burnley, Brighton and Huddersfield should have been draws, or possibly even better. But our negativity and Rafa’s apparent lack of trust in tje squad (understandable, TBF) has ended up costing us.

i agree that our squad is very limited, but i start to worry a bit about Rafas negative/defensive approach. Keep it tight and score from a set piece. Its not entertaining to watch imo.

Don´t mind the focus on the defensive side of the game...but i would like us to threat the opponents more...especially sides like Brighton, Burnley etc.

Can´t say whats going on behind the scenes - but if both Mitro and Gayle are fit, then i would very much like to see them both start next game at home. Think they could be ok together against average teams...like ourself!

Last night was absolutely rank. As were the Brighton and Huddersfield defeats.

There's no doubt that Rafa's tactical nous will put points on board in some games but that's three times now we've approached a game against teams who are certainly no better than us, in exactly the same cautious/negative manner, and they've all panned out the same way.

If we displayed some flexibility in our approach to such games, and actually went for it occasionally, I'm pretty sure we'd have something to show from those three matches.

Our aim is to stay in the league this season, the tactics are putting regular points on the board and we aren't getting hammered by anyone. Ashley failed to add to the squad so we are left with little cutting edge.

Last night was absolutely rank. As were the Brighton and Huddersfield defeats.

There's no doubt that Rafa's tactical nous will put points on board in some games but that's three times now we've approached a game against teams who are certainly no better than us, in exactly the same cautious/negative manner, and they've all panned out the same way.

If we displayed some flexibility in our approach to such games, and actually went for it occasionally, I'm pretty sure we'd have something to show from those three matches.

:thup:

I still try and counter that it's tough to judge on our championship efforts and a weak team in the prem, and that his teams will open up more in time with better players/strikers at his disposal. I'm not totally convinced by my own argument, but of course happy to endure these games to see what he can do over the coming seasons.

Our aim is to stay in the league this season, the tactics are putting regular points on the board and we aren't getting hammered by anyone. Ashley failed to add to the squad so we are left with little cutting edge.

Pretty much.

We lost an extremely tight match yesterday, we know Rafa is organised and this is why Burnley created so little, we could try and be more expansive but that would leave more space for the home side to exploit.

Hopefully we can improve things in January get some players in more suited to a counter attacking style.

Pretty much.

We lost an extremely tight match yesterday, we know Rafa is organised and this is why Burnley created so little, we could try and be more expansive but that would leave more space for the home side to exploit.

Hopefully we can improve things in January get some players in more suited to a counter attacking style.

Agree with both. If Rafa trusted the players he had he'd allow them to open up more but he clearly doesn't.

We've got a solid base and Rafa will stick to keeping things solid, if/when we get better attacking players we'll be better imo.

Don't get the ritchie for 10 shouts at all. One you lose his crossing and his closing down and helping the fullback, and two I don't really see anything in his game that suggests he would have the attributes to play there.

Agree.

Guest firetotheworks

Number 10 must be the least understood position going. I'm not saying I know loads about it like, because I don't, but you do see a lot of players suggested for the role that are canny clearly unsuitable for it.

Number 10 must be the least understood position going. I'm not saying I know loads about it like, because I don't, but you do see a lot of players suggested for the role that are canny clearly unsuitable for it.

Tbf I think the likes of Ritchie are only being seen as maybe playing there because the guys who apparently can play there are so bad

Tbf I think the likes of Ritchie are only being seen as maybe playing there because the guys who apparently can play there are so bad

Exactly, that's all it is. Ritchie isn't remotely suited but people are just begging for a change. We won't get one, like.

I can't really fault Rafa for the negative approach. At least not until we have a squad of competent attacking players. The exclusion of Aarons and Mitrovic is frustrating though as they are players with a little bit of spark that could make a difference.

This is the case for most calls for players playing out of position tbh, i absolutely despise it personally.

Guest firetotheworks

Santon at right back annoyed me more than the repetition of this post annoys anyone having to read it yet again. Nowadays it's pointless two up top/442 posts, but it seems less intense this season.

Exactly, that's all it is. Ritchie isn't remotely suited but people are just begging for a change. We won't get one, like.

Not entirely. I'd suggest Ritchie vs our other options because he's mobile, has good control, can run with the ball and pick a pass. Off the ball I have my reservations but otherwise he's better than the alternatives.

Ritchie could absolutely play through the middle, howay he couldn't exactly be worse than Perez could he?  He'd more than likely get a lot more opportunities effect the game and take shots than he does out wide.  Playing number 10 doesn't mean he has to stay in the middle either as someone suggested before, he'd be able to find space out wide and put crosses in rather than always being faced with a full back ready to stop the cross.  Moving him there would also mean Atsu could play on the right (where he's looked better for me) and give either Murphy or Aarons a chance on the left. 

I think the case is getting strong for Merino/Shelvey/Hayden all to play together. The front two just aren't working at all.

Not when none of them are comfortable in the final third it isn't, like I been saying there's no realistic alternative to what Rafa's currently picking.

People are looking for solutions which frankly don't work.

I think the case is getting strong for Merino/Shelvey/Hayden all to play together. The front two just aren't working at all.

Not when none of them are comfortable in the final third it isn't, like I been saying there's no realistic alternative to what Rafa's currently picking.

People are looking for solutions which frankly don't work.

Apparently Merino has played that position a few times for Spain U21s?

Let's be honest here Perez certainly doesn't work and it's not like he hasn't had plenty of chances. I think it's worth trying Merino there until January when hopefully we can go out and recruit someone more suited to that role.

Outside of corner kicks Ritchie has been stifled pretty easily on the wing like, I don’t see how it’d be any better in the middle.

Because a lot of the time he's either getting doubled-up on or has to go past someone to get a cross in, which obviously isn't his strength.  Ideally he needs Yedlin or another one of our attackers to help work some space so he can do the damage but it's not happening enough.  Perez is getting the ball in some decent positions but either takes too long to make a decision or his execution is crap, Ritchie is much better at both of these things.  Like i say, surely better than Perez.