Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

He won’t be in a job for very long because Richard Keys is mates with the potential new owners allegedly

LoL, what?

one of the journalists on twitter had been in touch with a "well known" UAE sports presenter who had good contacts with the sheikh and he vouched for him.

He won’t be in a job for very long because Richard Keys is mates with the potential new owners allegedly

Yes, because you spend 350 million pounds on a football club and make your decisions based on who Richard Keys has and hasn't slagged off in the past  :lol:

Jesus wept.

Rafa's contract ends in THREE fucking THREE days?  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: I thought it was the end of june  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Is it ok to call this guy a moron?

Rafa's contract ends in THREE fucking THREE days?  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: I thought it was the end of june  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Is it ok to call this guy a moron?

Moron away  :lol:

I’ve argued this before but I believe Rafa holds the key to Ashley selling up. All he has to do is come out and tell Ashley he will not work with a proven liar anymore after his contract ends in a month’s time, but is willing to stick around with new owners to see if their plans for the club match his. If Ashley can’t handle that and fires him or if Rafa leaves when no takeover materialises and Ashley will have to appoint some no mark manager to start a new season that will be 50m shaved of the club’s value there and then, with the prospect of relegation meaning Ashley will have to back his new man or risk losing another 100m or so. Rafa is a major asset which will be worthless in 35 days and he therefore holds the strings. What’s stopping him from using his power for his own good and the good of the club?

Cracking the Top Six next season should be very possible for a well-run club.

If Chelsea's transfer ban sticks and they appoint Lampard then one spot is possible. Man Yoo have every chance of going over a cliff with Ole at the wheel, with transfer upheaval certain. Who is going to buy the replacements for Herrera, Mata, possibly Pogba and Martial and upgrading at least some of the middling dross. Arsenal need a few key upgrades, so they are no certainty for fourth spot.

There's every chance Rafa could get this season's team into the top four next with no more than three additions.

If, if, if...

If Chelsea's transfer ban sticks and they appoint Lampard then one spot is possible. Man Yoo have every chance of going over a cliff with Ole at the wheel, with transfer upheaval certain. Who is going to buy the replacements for Herrera, Mata, possibly Pogba and Martial and upgrading at least some of the middling dross. Arsenal need a few key upgrades, so they are no certainty for fourth spot.

There's every chance Rafa could get this season's team into the top four next with no more than three additions.

If, if, if...

ah,,,wut

If you’re a prospective new owner you do all you can to keep Rafa. If Chelsea go for Lampard and Man Utd persist with OGS, you’re picking up a club which already has one of the best 5 managers in the league (at least).

You can only argue that Guardiola, Pochettino, and Klopp are better managers in the league. If Ashley sells up, and we are managed properly (increase commercial revenues, reinvest what we earn into the team), he's good enough to break the Top 6 cabal. He's an absolute star and that can't be stated enough.

If, if, if...

ah,,,wut

Pretty comfortable with that - it’s looks (at this early stage) like it might be a soft six or even four. Okay, it needs four and no injuries (which are enormous riders and shoots down my whole theses :) )

Even more stupidly, it’s immaterial as we most likely have oil billions or no Rafa, invalidating the premise of my thesis.

Consider me suitably chastened.