Brighton & Hove Albion 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 24/09/17 (post-match from p25)

Rich

Still averaging 1.5 points per game this season, that'll do. Amazed we've got 9 given what we did this summer.

As for the game itself I thought there was nothing to split them really, draw would've been fair enough. Gives Rafa some things to ponder for Liverpool.

Long-term we have to be looking at introducing Shelvey for Hayden and thinking about a different combination up front.

Yeah, I'm not feeling Hayden at this level yet. Doesn't deserve to start the next one, IMO.

Still averaging 1.5 points per game this season, that'll do. Amazed we've got 9 given what we did this summer.

As for the game itself I thought there was nothing to split them really, draw would've been fair enough. Gives Rafa some things to ponder for Liverpool.

Long-term we have to be looking at introducing Shelvey for Hayden and thinking about a different combination up front.

Absolutely

I struggle with this line of thinking. Shelvey can't cover ground well enough in the PL for Merino to end up doing his donkey work. Sure it's worth a try at some point but I don't see it working. I don't see Shelvey as a core part of a functioning PL team consistently.

That was s*** and worrying being beat by the two teams who came up with us and who we need to finish above and the lack of quality up front is going to bite us on the arse. We look absolutely toothless and there is not enough goals in the team. Going to be a long hard season

Not good enough. Had chances, didn't take them, stupid mistake from Lascelles cost us a needless goal.

Thought Rafa made a really poor choice in keeping Perez on. He was having a poor second half, slowing everything down, and it totally allowed Brighton to sit deep and nullify Gayle without a focal point around him.

Joselu will get stick for the last 2 games but that's still too small a sample size to judge. He wasn't in the game enough is my biggest criticism.

It was a Clark foul wasn't it?

Close game but thought Brighton deserved their win. Both sides should have took their chances but didn't in the 1st half then we were absolutely garbage for the first 20 minutes of the second.

I was hoping to see Merino and Shelvey play together at some point but even with Brighton sitting back that doesn't really look like a partnership that would work even though Shelvey looked bright when he came on. I thought we were going to equalise when he got behind their defence and attempted to square it.

A slight positive from that was how we still tried to pass the ball and play within the last few minutes of the game in previous years we've just hopelessly punted balls forward.

Not good enough. Had chances, didn't take them, stupid mistake from Lascelles cost us a needless goal.

Thought Rafa made a really poor choice in keeping Perez on. He was having a poor second half, slowing everything down, and it totally allowed Brighton to sit deep and nullify Gayle without a focal point around him.

Joselu will get stick for the last 2 games but that's still too small a sample size to judge. He wasn't in the game enough is my biggest criticism.

It was a Clark foul wasn't it?

No it was Lascelles.