Brighton & Hove Albion 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 24/09/17 (post-match from p25)

Rich

I thought for all Atsu pretty much fluffed most take-ons he was still trying. I hate how Perez seems to cower back into his shell at times whereas Atsu just kept trying stuff. You need balls like that playing in those positions or we'd never get anywhere.

I thought Atsu looked really bright in the first half but he definitely fizzled out.

Murphy is raw but would've been absolutely no harm in trying him out today for the final 20. We needed some more pace and direct play out wide, especially with Ritchie off the boil.

Agreed. For that last 20 minutes we needed someone who was willing to run at their defense instead of playing it sideways.

can hemed be retrospectively red-carded for that stamp on yedlin?

That was a bit naughty but I really don't like seeing players getting banned for stuff like that. Same with the Shelvey on Alli one. Surely it's a yellow card because you're not really hurting anyone with stuff like that are you? It's mostly just brainless stupidity.

Mitrovic was banned retrospectively for far, far less.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd start Merino & Shelvey next game.

People keep saying this but there was no sign of chemistry or cohesion between them today. Could have just been the circumstances of course.

:thup: I think the thinking is simply 'Shelvey's better than Hayden' without taking into account the job Hayden does that Shelvey never does.

People keep saying this but there was no sign of chemistry or cohesion between them today . Could have just been the circumstances of course.

They haven't played together yet?

Gotta get them in the same team imo.

People keep saying this but there was no sign of chemistry or cohesion between them today . Could have just been the circumstances of course.

Huh?

People keep saying this but there was no sign of chemistry or cohesion between them today. Could have just been the circumstances of course.

:thup: I think the thinking is simply 'Shelvey's better than Hayden' without taking into account the job Hayden does that Shelvey never does.

Yeah that is the problem is the defensive work and work rate. Hayden help stave off those early chances in front of net.

Honestly a January signing of someone proven that is capable of playing that role would be nice. Even if its a loan move for the rest of the way.

I cant see Rafa indulging the idea of Shelvey-Merino but would love to be proven wrong.

Huh?

You're saying there  was no chemistry...  but they've barely had any time on  the pitch together - they'll need time to form a partnership.

Not only that. We pretty much had all the possession once Shelvey came on as Brighton let us have the ball knowing we were no real threat. Shelvey and Merino when we don't have the ball will not be pretty. The answer is probably to play a 4-3-3 with Hayden, Shelvey and Merino but Rafa won't do that.

Liverpool's midfield will run through those two like a knife through butter. Shelvey lacks the discipline or the athleticism to compete off the ball; Hayden does, despite offering far less in possession.

Not only that. We pretty much had all the possession once Shelvey came on as Brighton let us have the ball knowing we were no real threat. Shelvey and Merino when we don't have the ball will not be pretty. The answer is probably to play a 4-3-3 with Hayden, Shelvey and Merino but Rafa won't do that.

Probably because like any alternative this place tries to think of it's not the answer in the slightest. Rafa is doing what he can but we have personnel holes we can't fix through any system change.

Have to say I want to see Shelvey and Merino together also. Shelvey had clearly been instructed to get up the pitch where ever possible and the two of them worked well in swapping positions, with Merino dropping into the deeper role as soon as Shelvey got forward. Think there is real potential there but only games will prove it.

Atsu lost every single 1v1 today. He was poor.

We looked better going forward with Jesus, but for Liverpool I'd stick with Chancel as he's quality (threat from set pieces) defensively and I don't think it will be a game where our FB's get involved much going forward.

Yedlin really poor.

Shelvey when he came on was the only one that looked likely to either create or score himself for us. Not saying he played that well when he came on but Hayden has been very poor from what I've seen this season outside of the West Ham game, we don't have many options in CM, but something we'll need to change there, we are carrying a lot of players right now and games like today show that you just can't keep playing without 11 men contributing.

That second half performance was weak, sloppy, pathetic, clueless and shite. We deserved nowt.

God forbid we see Gayle and Joselu together. Games like that Rafa pisses me off so much, go 2 up for 20 minutes and just roll the fucking dice man, howay.

Just back from the game. I live fairly close to Brighton.

I've not read any of this thread/this place nor seen any coverage but, having been there, I thought we deserved a point and certainly didnt think they'd done enough to take all 3.

Merino was the best player on the pitch, first half in particular. Everything came through him.

If anything, Brighton seemed to out-Rafa us, in that they were compact, organised and very deep.

Not sure if you guys saw it on TV but there was a ball from Merino to Shelvey around the 83 minute mark which was phenomenal. Indicating that Merino will find him if they're playing together.

I thought Perez was awful first half and Joselu looks like he needs a spell out of the side too. Gayle would've had two today.

Atsu had Bruno on toast in the 1st half so should have been used more and more.

3 Times for me now at the Amex and three 1-0 defeats. Fucking hate that place.

Also, not sure if it was clear from the TV, but Hayden started the game all taped up so clearly he's got some muscle issues and/or he's carrying something minor.

Our fans were pretty quiet today and very surprised that they didn't give Timmy Krul an airing.

Just back from the game. I live fairly close to Brighton.

I've not read any of this thread/this place nor seen any coverage but, having been there, I thought we deserved a point and certainly didnt think they'd done enough to take all 3.

Merino was the best player on the pitch, first half in particular. Everything came through him.

If anything, Brighton seemed to out-Rafa us, in that they were compact, organised and very deep.

Not sure if you guys saw it on TV but there was a ball from Merino to Shelvey around the 83 minute mark which was phenomenal. Indicating that Merino will find him if they're playing together.

I thought Perez was awful first half and Joselu looks like he needs a spell out of the side too. Gayle would've had two today.

Atsu had Bruno on toast in the 1st half so should have been used more and more.

3 Times for me now at the Amex and three 1-0 defeats. f***ing hate that place.

:thup:

And aye, Merino's pass to Shelvey was absolute quality.