Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

there are so many infuriating things about Ashley, but one that i sincerely don't get is, if he wants to use NUFC & st james park as an advertising vehicle for his sports direct company then why not try to make NUFC  a football powerhouse?  wouldn't his sales skyrocket if suddenly the magpies were beating the chelseas, liverpools & manchester clubs; not to mention going toe to toe with big champions league teams?  i would think his merchandise would be flying off the shelves--or am i missing something?

Another question is, does he really need us as an advertising vehicle or even the need to advertise?

Sports Direct is the largest sports retailer in the U.K. it is the only real national chain which sells it’s goods at it’s price point (JD being priced higher).

He has a clientele who turn up to his shops as a first point of call. Advertising would be like saying Orimark needs to advertise. People who want £3 t-shirts (or £30 trainers in Sports Direct’s case) just don’t need advertise as the majority of their customers know that other shops won’t be selling that low and price is the most important factor for them.

He has SJP decked out in Sports Direct advertising, but how many people actually watch an NUFC, see his advertising in the background and think that they should go in and buy some trainers and cheap socks?

His customers are likely automatically thinking of getting their purchases from SD, and other who shops there do so because simply put theirs not another store on the high street selling what they want.

Same reason why Costa Coffee is now advertised prominently in Coronation St, they don't 'need' to but brand profile and image are an important part of any business.

What surprises you is what little alternative there is to Sports Direct.

I needed some football boots short notice on Saturday and didn't want to pay too much for them. I didn't want to go to Sports Direct and couldn't be bothered to go into the metro centre for DW sports (not sure if they are even cheap there) so I tried Windsors down Swalwell but they didn't have any. In the end I had to borrow some of me mates and order some online. He really does have a monopoly on the high street.

I needed some football boots short notice on Saturday and didn't want to pay too much for them. I didn't want to go to Sports Direct and couldn't be bothered to go into the metro centre for DW sports (not sure if they are even cheap there) so I tried Windsors down Swalwell but they didn't have any. In the end I had to borrow some of me mates and order some online. He really does have a monopoly on the high street.

Had the same problem, a few months ago. Except I live in a small town miles away from any  alternative.

Also in recent years, we have had interviews with the likes of SJH who said the offer for the club came in 1 day and by the end of the week, the sale had been completed. It would be virtually impossible to do full due diligence in that time frame for what is a multi-million-pound company which at the time was also on the stock market.

Ashley himself says exactly that in the pic directly above your post. The whole interview discusses it, but especially the last paragraph:

"If you are asking if we did due diligence before buying then the answer has to be no."

What's do we reckon the chances are that he appeases Rafa at the end of this season, sanctioning spending after 2 seasons of pocketing TV cash to fund it? Thus avoiding the outrage of Rafa leaving etc.

Be classic Ashley tbh. Withdraw everything then when you offer something people (the fans) have such low expectations they think it's a win for them.

Couldn't be arsed to go to the Metrocentre is the key there.

There's no such thing as 'The High Street' - it's Eldon Square/ Metrocentre.

There's a handy list of alternatives to SD here: https://www.sportsredirect.com/

Even ASDA do them: https://direct.asda.com/george/men/shoes/umbro-speciali-football-boots/GEM466205,default,pd.html

What's do we reckon the chances are that he appeases Rafa at the end of this season, sanctioning spending after 2 seasons of pocketing TV cash to fund it? Thus avoiding the outrage of Rafa leaving etc.

Be classic Ashley tbh. Withdraw everything then when you offer something people (the fans) have such low expectations they think it's a win for them.

It won't happen. If Rafa won us something the pressure on him to invest would be even bigger.  This is his best chance to get rid of Rafa.

I would still want Ashley out of the club, the guys a snake and will always be that way. He just cannot be trusted

I would still want Ashley out of the club, the guys a snake and will always be that way. He just cannot be trusted

No totally, of course. I'm just wondering that Ashley might look at £200m banked income last 2 seasons and more to come then actually offer Rafa money to spend if he signs on. He'll have £200m TV money to pay for it and can spin it as *him* spending finally and backing Rafa.

Just a thought. I can see him trying to keep Rafa on personally.

I think when Ashley bought the club first he thought things would be different. Success would be easier to come by perhaps.

His fatal mistake was bringing Keegan back.

As soon as things went wrong, there was only ever going to be one winner.

He never recovered from that and whatever buzz he got from being amongst the fans drinking or whatever would never happen again.

It’s no coincidence that he’s been a total cunt ever since.

Couldn't be arsed to go to the Metrocentre is the key there.

There's no such thing as 'The High Street' - it's Eldon Square/ Metrocentre.

There's a handy list of alternatives to SD here: https://www.sportsredirect.com/

Even ASDA do them: https://direct.asda.com/george/men/shoes/umbro-speciali-football-boots/GEM466205,default,pd.html

Must admit I didn't think of Asda

No totally, of course. I'm just wondering that Ashley might look at £200m banked income last 2 seasons and more to come then actually offer Rafa money to spend if he signs on. He'll have £200m TV money to pay for it and can spin it as *him* spending finally and backing Rafa.

Slight issue with that plan is we might not be in the Premier league to give him any money.  :frantic:

Like I said last page, the PR tide has to turn. What Ashley is doing just stands out too much now, when even people like Huddersfield are making us look silly.

It's almost impossible to make a rational case for what he's doing, anyone that tries just looks an idiot.

Slight issue with that plan is we might not be in the Premier league to give him any money.  :frantic:

Yes, of course but that's him in a nutshell isn't it, gambling.

To elaborate on this thought train it's going back to what happy face always says about spending what cash the club has. In Ashley's world gambling for 2 seasons that Rafa keeps us up on a shoestring and building up significant cash reserves to spend later is possibly worth the risk. At the end of this season we might have £200m in the bank with another £150m  guaranteed to come in. He could feasibly offer Rafa £100m no bother this summer and as per his famine/feast model will think he's going to look like a rock star doing so.

I just wonder if it's his overall strategy, hoping Rafa doesn't walk until he's banked enough money to back him without having to speculate or put the club at risk as he'll see it, or whatever you want to call it.

Alternative is he's just banking the money, will let Rafa leave and take the consequences.

TBF I've supported Newcastle since 1980 and for about 25% of that I've watched second tier football, it wouldnt bother me if we spent an extended period down there participating in competitive football rather than just existing in the Premiership as a cannon fodder cash cow if it resulted in Ashley selling up.

TBF I've supported Newcastle since 1980 and for about 25% of that I've watched second tier football, it wouldnt bother me if we spent an extended period down there participating in competitive football rather than just existing in the Premiership as a cannon fodder cash cow if it resulted in Ashley selling up.

Was thinking that can't be right but it is!

The fat mess could offer a quarter of a billion pounds for Rafa to spend and I would still hate his guts and want him out.

There is nothing he can do to appease, change opinion or gain any trust whatsoever, i just want him to fuck off back to cuntsville.

Guest firetotheworks

I've said it many a time and I know some disagree, but I'd happily take the lowest league football possible if it meant getting rid of Ashley. I'm past the bargaining stage though and I'd stop supporting us before I'd accept it.