Nicolai Jorgensen to stay at Feyenoord

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Rafas got some highly questionable transfers on his resume and given the state of some of the goalscorers that have come to England from the eredivisie previously (excluding the minority that showed star talent as a teenager) I'd say the scepticism towards this transfer is more than justified.

This is such a bloody weird statement man  :lol:

Can you tell me which manager doesn't if you don't mind? I'll wait. Thanks.

My point is people suggest we should trust every decision he makes to the end of the earth, I'm just pointing out he's made some bad ones. I'd say during his time at Liverpool the bad transfers out weigh the good ones.

How many of those bad transfers were in the team when they won the Champions League?

Going off the very limited clips I've seen of him, considering he's not a particularly pacey player, he seems to get a lot of his goals by beating the offside trap.

I think he looks really good in those clips. He looks like he moves really well. Doesn't look like he is slow at all.

People always go on about the Eredevise, but for the most part the more physically impressive guys with good goal scoring records tend to do well.

Bony was fantastic at Swansea, Pelle at Southampton, Bas Dost went on to do amazing in Germany and now Portugal. We can't keep waiting for these guys to do amazing things elsewhere and then go after them when everyone else is sure of them too and they cost stupid money.

That's right assuming we were a normal club in a normal position.  My worry is that we desperately need someone who is going to put them away, and going off some of the reviews of the people who know him, I'm not sure this is who we should be 'splashing out' on.

But there are absolutely no guarantees man. We have to trust the manager. All we can do is give him the player he believes can do the job, and that will be our best chance.

We cannot just assume that it will not work because the guy is coming in from the Eredevise. it's just not a fair assessment to make.

We could just as easily bring in Sturridge or Ings and they continue to have the injury problems they have recently, and nothing would be worse than that really. They also haven't been playing and so are likely rusty and not high on confidence.

We just need to get in the players Rafa wants. If he's happy we are more likely to do better in general.

Guest firetotheworks

Rafas got some highly questionable transfers on his resume and given the state of some of the goalscorers that have come to England from the eredivisie previously (excluding the minority that showed star talent as a teenager) I'd say the scepticism towards this transfer is more than justified.

My point is people suggest we should trust every decision he makes to the end of the earth, I'm just pointing out he's made some bad ones. I'd say during his time at Liverpool the bad transfers out weigh the good ones.

While I agree with your point, that bit about the bad signings outweighing the good ones is massively stretching it like. Of the big signings that Rafa made at Liverpool, only Aquilani was an unquestionable failure.

Josemi Malaga £2,000,000 26 July 2004

Antonio Nunez Real Madrid £1,500,000 17 August 2004

Xabi Alonso Real Sociedad £10,700,000 20 August 2004

Luis Garcia Barcelona £6,000,000 20 August 2004

Mauricio Pellegrino Valencia Free 5 January 2005

Fernando Morientes Real Madrid £6,300,000 13 January 2005

Scott Carson Leeds £1,000,000 21 January 2005

Boudewijn Zenden Free Transfer Free 4 July 2005

Pepe Reina Villarreal £6,000,000 4 July 2005

Antonio Barragan Sevilla £240,000 4 July 2005

Momo Sissoko Valencia £5,600,000 14 July 2005

Peter Crouch Southampton £7,000,000 20 July 2005

Miki Roque Lleidav Unknown 15 August 2005

Jack Hobbs Lincoln £150,000 18 August 2005

Besian Idrizaj LASK Linz £190,000 22 August 2005

Mark Gonzalez Albacete £1,500,000 20 October 2005

Paul Anderson Hull Swap 1 January 2006

Jan Kromkamp Villarreal Swap 4 January 2006

David Martin MK Dons £250,000 12 January 2006

Daniel Agger Brondby £5,800,000 12 January 2006

Robbie Fowler Man City Free 27 January 2006

Craig Bellamy Blackburn £6,000,000 1 July 2006

Gabriel Paletta Banfield £2,000,000 4 July 2006

Fabio Aurelio Valencia Free 5 July 2006

Jermaine Pennant Birmingham £6,700,000 26 July 2006

Dirk Kuyt Feyenoord £9,000,000 18 August 2006

Nabil El Zhar St Etienne £200,000 21 August 2006

Astrit Ajdarevic Falkenberg £750,000 11 January 2007

Daniele Padelli Sampdoria Loan 12 January 2007

Jordy Brouwer Ajax Undisclosed 24 January 2007

Francisco Manuel Duran Malaga £66,000 30 January 2007

Alvaro Arbeloa Deportivo £2,500,000 31 January 2007

Javier Mascherano West Ham Loan 20 February 2007

Lucas Gremio £5,000,000 11 May 2007

Krisztian Nemeth MTK Hungaria Undisclosed 25 May 2007

Mikel San Jose Athletic Bilbao £270,000 28 June 2007

Sebastian Leto Lanús £1,800,000 1 July 2007

Fernando Torres Atletico Madrid £20,200,000 4 July 2007

Andriy Voronin Leverkusen Free 6 July 2007

Yossi Benayoun West Ham £5,000,000 12 July 2007

Ryan Babel Ajax £11,500,000 13 July 2007

Charles Itandje Lens Undisclosed 9 August 2007

Emiliano Insua Boca Juniors £1,300,000 26 August 2007

Lauri Dalla Valle JIPPO £600,000 8 November 2007

Martin Skrtel Zenit St Petersburg £6,500,000 11 January 2008

Javier Mascherano Media Sports Investment £18,600,000 29 February 2008

Philipp Degen Borussia Dortmund Free 3 July 2008

Andrea Dossena Udinese £7,000,000 4 July 2008

Diego Cavalieri Palmeiras £3,500,000 11 July 2008

David N'Gog Paris St Germain £1,500,000 24 July 2008

Robbie Keane Tottenham £19,000,000 28 July 2008

Albert Riera Espanyol £8,000,000 31 August 2008

Glen Johnson Portsmouth £17,500,000 26 June 2009

Alberto Aquilani Roma £17,100,000 7 August 2009

Sotirios Kyrgiakos AEK Athens £2,000,000 21 August 2009

Daniel Ayala Sevilla £160,000 17 September 2009

Maxi Rodriguez Atletico Madrid Free 12 January 2010

Raheem Sterling Queens Park Rangers £600,000 27 February 2010

Jonjo Shelvey Charlton £1,700,000 10 May 2010

Milan Jovanovic Standard Liege Free 8 July 2010

Going off the very limited clips I've seen of him, considering he's not a particularly pacey player, he seems to get a lot of his goals by beating the offside trap.

It’s called using your brain, it works now and again due to most footballers not having that ability

Any manager can get transfers wrong.

We need to trust Rafa because he is a good manager and he will do everything to keep us up, and therefore getting him who he wants is important because it keeps him happy and ultimately that will be what gives us the best chance.

There is no magic signing that is guaranteed to work at this point. This should have all been better managed in the summer. We are already in a precarious position. They just need to back the manager.

It's the end of the night and we don't want to go home alone so standards drop through the floor and we'll cosy up to any old boiler.

That's where we are lads.

Never knock the old boiler though. Doesn't cost alot, is reliable and you get a good bacon sarny in the morning.

They didn't get much recognition at the time but his Napoli signings were all spot on. Look at their first team now, quite a lot of them signed by Rafa.

In fairness he was allowed to sign the likes of Higuain as well so not exactly shopping in netto like he is with us.

They didn't get much recognition at the time but his Napoli signings were all spot on. Look at their first team now, quite a lot of them signed by Rafa.

In fairness he was allowed to sign the likes of Higuain as well so not exactly shopping in netto like he is with us.

He was but then he also signed players like Koullabily.

Sure, like he's found us a gem in Merino as well :thup:

Was problems for him at Liverpool with regards to transfer funding and owners as well. No wonder there were 2 or 3 duds.

I just think the "Rafa makes some shit signings" is a bit of a misconception about him alongside the "Rafa isn't great in a league season" and "Rafa doesn't play good football" ones. All of them are bollocks. Give him what he needs, and he'll make excellent signings (may be a few duds, all managers have them, Rafa has said so himself), he'll lead a team that's great in a league season and will play good football.

Possibly Murphy as well. He was our biggest buy in the summer and represented a huge risk, but he is beginning to show signs that Rafa was spot on.

It's the end of the night and we don't want to go home alone so standards drop through the floor and we'll cosy up to any old boiler.

That's where we are lads.

We can always just sit tight and instead of standards dropping through the floor, we can watch our team drop through the Premier floor instead.

Looks a bit clunky. From the vids I did like his movement mind. Gets in those positions.

Looks like he could handle himself and that he actually wants to score goals. Watched his clips and he’s poached what would have been teammates goals (ball going in but gets the last touch anyway) , good feet etc.

Joselu on the other hand is like this docile drugged up mental patient who gets sent out in a jersey every week for his exercise time.

Possibly Murphy as well. He was our biggest buy in the summer and represented a huge risk, but he is beginning to show signs that Rafa was spot on.

Aye agreed

Guest firetotheworks

Jozy Altidore:

AZ.  App: 67  goals: 39.       

Sunderland. App: 42.    Goals: 1.

Players records from Eredivise are a concern.

Suarez, Van Persie, Van Nistlerooy, Kuyt and many more.

I think it's just more of a lottery than normal really. I think if you watch them as players rather than their league, you'll probably get a better idea. I think the only player who looked brilliant before arriving and then wasn't, was probably Kezman. 

Jozy Altidore:

I think it's just more of a lottery than normal really. I think if you watch them as players rather than their league, you'll probably get a better idea. I think the only player who looked brilliant before arriving and then wasn't, was probably Kezman. 

Siem De Jong????

Guest firetotheworks

Jozy Altidore:

Siem De Jong????

I didn't think he looked brilliant tbh. Obviously injuries played the biggest part with him here as well.

I think both Siem de Jong (57 goals in 168 for Ajax) and Wijnaldum (40 goals in 109 for PSV) had been player of the year, or some such, in recent seasons before they joined us. Guess you can make a case for Gini having made the transition (glossing over a relegation and away form in general). On reflection, and to be fair to him, de Jong’s (the elder) chances were scuppered by injury.