Nicolai Jorgensen to stay at Feyenoord

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Jozy Altidore:

AZ.  App: 67  goals: 39.       

Sunderland. App: 42.    Goals: 1.

Players records from Eredivise are a concern.

Suarez, Van Persie, Van Nistlerooy, Kuyt and many more.

I think it's just more of a lottery than normal really. I think if you watch them as players rather than their league, you'll probably get a better idea. I think the only player who looked brilliant before arriving and then wasn't, was probably Kezman.

Vincent Janssen.

AZ.    App: 34.      Goals 27

Spurs. App: 27.    Goals 2.

Theres many. I think striker wise. Van Nistelrooy and Suarez are the exception. To carry 20 plus goals over into the EPL.

It just worries me that league, equally scotland would if we got Dembele. I think the situation we are in and unable to sign proven, presents a risk, a gamble. Just dont be dismissive of that. I wouldn't be the kind of dick to say I told you so, I font know the player, but it still worries me. The drop is now ony 3pts. Is he our saviour?

I'm fairly confident Rafa isn't expecting this lad to be a 20 goal plus striker like.

He's just probably not expecting him to be a <5 goal striker like Joselu.

He looks like he's got more of a goal poacher instinct than either Joselu or Mitro, good movement in the penalty area as compared to those two. I would think that is going to be what Rafa would see in him. He's 27 yrs old though, against Mitro at 23, so Charnley being allowed to authorise a £20m fee sounds like a joke in poor taste.

Jozy Altidore:

I think it's just more of a lottery than normal really. I think if you watch them as players rather than their league, you'll probably get a better idea. I think the only player who looked brilliant before arriving and then wasn't, was probably Kezman.

Vincent Janssen.

Theres many. I think striker wise. Van Nistelrooy and Suarez are the exception. To carry 20 plus goals over into the EPL.

It just worries me that league, equally scotland would if we got Dembele. I think the situation we are in and unable to sign proven, presents a risk, a gamble. Just dont be dismissive of that. I wouldn't be the kind of dick to say I told you so, I font know the player, but it still worries me. The drop is now ony 3pts. Is he our saviour?

I'm fairly confident Rafa isn't expecting this lad to be a 20 goal plus striker like.

Nobody said he was. We are looking at transitions into other leagues and success and failure.

So were spurs only expecting 2 from Jansen?

Highly doubtful, what's your point?

Your claiming Rafa doesnt expect 20 goals. But more than 5.

And quoting me im guessing cos you think I think he should get 20 goals because I said Suarez and RVN are exceptions.

My point was they are exceptions. Not many cross the waters and carry excessive Eredivise goal form into tje premier league.

Was being sarcastic about Jansen, He came here with a good record and into a good side who create chances and managed a return of 2 goals. And meaning of course Spurs were expecting more for their outlay.

Jozy Altidore:

Vincent Janssen.

Equally there is no need to be so dismissive of the Eredivisie even though Dutch football is going through a very rough patch. It is my contention more world class forwards have spent their formative years in Dutch academies or learnt their trade in this league than in English ones in recent decades. I’ll simply say: Romario, Van Basten, Gullit, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooij, Kluivert, Mackaaij, Van Persie, Robben, Ibrahimovic, Suarez and that’s me probably forgetting a few good ones too. No need to go on like we’re some football backwater. Well we are at the moment, but plenty of players have been developed here, and plenty more will follow.

Don't think anyone is disputing that the Netherlands and the Eredivisie have developed some great players in the past,more than most leagues as you say. Recently though, that isn't the case. The reaction would be the same if it was a 27 year old coming from Belgium or Switzerland for example

Guest Howaythetoon

I can see why some would be concerned because for us to potentially smash our transfer record on someone that someone will have to come in and be an instant hit, especially to help us stay up. In that sense this fella could prove a risky buy. But that said, 20m these days gets you players like this. Look at how much Everton paid for the Turkish player...

If this was the start of the season I wouldn’t be worried, but we need someone who can score goals ASAP. Sadly for us those players are out of our price range and more importantly our wage range. I’d have loved Walcott here for example, but his wages would be far too much for us to be able to afford or rather willing to pay. He would score goals, excite the crowd and be an outlet for us with his ability to play across the front 3 positions. Basically a huge upgrade on Gayle.

I trust Rafa though so...

Jozy Altidore:

Vincent Janssen.

Equally there is no need to be so dismissive of the Eredivisie even though Dutch football is going through a very rough patch. It is my contention more world class forwards have spent their formative years in Dutch academies or learnt their trade in this league than in English ones in recent decades. I’ll simply say: Romario, Van Basten, Gullit, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooij, Kluivert, Mackaaij, Van Persie, Robben, Ibrahimovic, Suarez and that’s me probably forgetting a few good ones too. No need to go on like we’re some football backwater. Well we are at the moment, but plenty of players have been developed here, and plenty more will follow.

Not doing or saying dutch football is poor. The exceptional records some strikers set in Eredivise must be down to coming up against some very weak sides and some weak defences. Other than RVN,Suarez, and I forgot RVP. Not so many bring that record over here.

Its all a gamble. True about the years gone by, but more recently we havent seen Strikers do the business over here. I was only focusing on such high scoring players. You know what though, maybe its about time we did start taking gambles, because the fear of it not working out is part of the problem.

Its part of our club though, you look at our history we have always tried to sign a good striker, number 9s here have been the pinnacle.  I guess breaking our record on a none entity is the fear for some of us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Some of the players that have come to the PL from the Dutch League, especially strikers, a good number of them were not exactly regulars or suffered injuries during their time here. Kezman for example I thought was a very good player, but he arrived at Chelsea at a time when they were starting to spend big on Drogba, Shevshenko etc. He should have joined us instead and I feel he would have been a success.

These days in the PL if a striker scores 10 goals it’s considered a very good return. Only the elite get much more than that. If this new lad signed and grabbed say 5 or more goals before the end of the season, that may be enough and anyway, again, I don’t mind a striker not scoring lots if they contribute massively more to the team and allows the team to function more effectively.

Joselu for example is rubbish, mediocre at everything. Slow, immobile, weak, his heading often sees won balls going all over often away from one of our players and his finishing is very poor too.

Mitrovic can finish, we know that, but he’s a radge packet and is limited technically. Rafa obviously doesn’t rate him nor trust him.

Gayle can finish too, but this season he seems to be used differently, often fighting for balls with his back to goal and he’s low on confidence. If we played to his strengths though I feel he would score enough to help keep us up.

If we do end up breaking our transfer record for me it will be out of desperation. Rafa should have been handed that kind of money in the summer for a forward and then sum. Not that I think we will, it will be a case of we tried, but they wanted silly money etc.

Get with the times Newcastle United...

Jozy Altidore:

Vincent Janssen.

Nobody said he was. We are looking at transitions into other leagues and success and failure.

So were spurs only expecting 2 from Jansen?

Highly doubtful, what's your point?

Your claiming Rafa doesnt expect 20 goals. But more than 5.

And quoting me im guessing cos you think I think he should get 20 goals because I said Suarez and RVN are exceptions.

My point was they are exceptions. Not many cross the waters and carry excessive Eredivise goal form into tje premier league.

Was being sarcastic about Jansen, He came here with a good record and into a good side who create chances and managed a return of 2 goals. And meaning of course Spurs were expecting more for their outlay.

I suppose my point, if I had one, was merely that individual examples of transitions to the PL are instructive of very little because they vary so wildly in terms of goals.

You guys are missing the point, none of them have been Danish from the Dutch league.

The Danes to move from the Dutch league are:

Christian Eriksen

Jesper Gronkjaer

Dennis Rommedahl

Jon Dahl Tommasson

All great players.

Viktor Fischer. Not so great

Jozy Altidore:

Vincent Janssen.

It just worries me that league, equally scotland would if we got Dembele. I think the situation we are in and unable to sign proven, presents a risk, a gamble. Just dont be dismissive of that. I wouldn't be the kind of dick to say I told you so, I dont know the player, but it still worries me. The drop is now ony 3pts. Is he our saviour?

Who you have around you is a great help too. Van Nistelrooy wouldn't have been the same success if he was around crap

The point which stands out for me, which a number of people are making, is that we shouldn’t take goal scoring elsewhere or any other single stat, as predicting/meaning too much in the EPL; without a heavy pinch of salt. You don’t need to be a genius to spot quality/potential of some players (Suarez, van Nistlerooy etc) irrespective of what league they are playing in. It simply reduces the probability of getting a dud, somebody not realising the potential they have, if they have demonstrated their quality in the same league.