The other games today 2018/19

Greg

Would start Bale in the final. On the left up against the young FB and Lovren.

Zizou seems to have the magic touch in any case.

His half-time team talk v Juventus in last year's final, which was recorded, probably indicates otherwise.

I think it's the players that are winning it for Madrid, not a manager with a magic touch.

Eh?

You mean the team talk he had at 1-1 and they won it... 4-1?

IIRC everything he said contributed to the win. High pressing and aggression. Juve weren't good enough in midfield to cope and that was that. He's such a calm, classy dude. Reminds me of Carlo Ancelotti.

I've been critical of him and the style Real play. But in big moments he hardly ever puts a foot wrong. The decisions he makes tend to work.

He's somehow attacking and pragmatic. Played a passer and a dribbler instead of Casemiro at DM, and a winger at RB yet happy to concede possession. Did this for close to 80 minutes.... somehow it worked.

Lyon is a canny location for the final

Be a ripe old atmosphere. Stadium holds the noise really well for a big new ground.

Irrepressible flamboyance and inconsistence of the OM attack v the immovable object of Atleti’s defence.

Really hope Salzburg nail this.

Why?

A team from outside the major leagues winning a European trophy (even if they're sponsored by Red Bull) would make me feel there's still some hope for "lesser" teams in Europe.

:thup:

Is France a major league?

PL

La Liga

Italy

Germany

Struggling to remember the last Euorpean Cup winners outside of those nations. CL - Porto surely. Europa - might be Porto as well. Never seen (or don't recall) a French side winning a European trophy. Monaco and Marseille going to finals aye.

I feel like Spanish sides have won the majority of European Cups over the last decade in both competitions. 6 or so in the CL (Barca and Real), 6 or so in Europa League (Atleti and Sevilla). A number of all Spanish lockouts too.

Not sure how much longer it can last.

Gini was a good player in home games just disappeared when playing away.

Thauvin cearly didn’t want to be there from day one with us. He was more interested in his hair than playing for us. Must have saw a good contract offer and accepted it before realizing he didn’t want to play outside France.

Gini was a good player in home games just disappeared when playing away.

Thauvin cearly didn’t want to be there from day one with us. He was more interested in his hair than playing for us. Must have saw a good contract offer and accepted it before realizing he didn’t want to play outside France.

Gini was terrible home and away in most of the second half of the season

Gini's problem was that he was signed from a team that rarely need to do any defending and brought into a shit team in a relegation battle who hardly touched the ball. He's much more suited to the way Liverpool play and they're one of the few PL teams who are so good going forward that his complete non-existence when they don't have possession doesn't really matter.

It all felt a bit sad. Arsenal looked tired and although they managed to put in a few crosses, they lack a striker with the physical presence to take advantage. Giroud would have been brought on had they kept him. Lacazette hasn't given them what they needed.

Who could have imagined Gini in a CL final and Thauvin in a EL final after the end to their retrospective NUFC careers [emoji38]

Remember that list of players who'd left NUFC to win a trophy.  Carr, Bowyer, Martins, Woodgate, Bassong (I think), Milner etc

Who could have imagined Gini in a CL final and Thauvin in a EL final after the end to their retrospective NUFC careers :lol:

Two of Carr's last signings. It's almost as if you put the players he scouted in the right environment that they'd do well. If he was purely a scout and wasn't calling the shots as to who'd be next manager and had a chairman who'd go and pay a bit extra for his recommendations, he'd have been a great asset to the club. We just overused him.

Really hope Salzburg nail this.

Why?

A team from outside the major leagues winning a European trophy (even if they're sponsored by Red Bull) would make me feel there's still some hope for "lesser" teams in Europe.

:thup:

Is France a major league?

Yes.

The problem with Thauvin was he didn’t want to be here. He could have been a good player under any manager because he clearly has the quality but he didn’t want to play for us and most of his performances reflected that.

Don’t see how/why it’d have been any different under Rafa.

Thauvin was with us for 6 months under a shit manager and played around 400 PL minutes for us, not sure how people can say there was enough evidence there to make a judgement.  Was the same when people were writing off Murphy based on ten minutes here or there in a league that was new to him.