Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Does anyone understand that if he wanted the move then we had to sell? Understand the fee isnt what you might expect but this one stinks of the player forcing it through regardless.

It's possible getting his wages off the books (£44,000/wk) plus a loan fee was part of the equation for getting Isak or is key to bringing another in. Not to mention the player very clearly wanting the move. 

Just now, xLiaaamx said:

I'd expect us to sell him. 

Man Utd are going to take him for a year, not pay that fee and send him back. 

Perhaps we are getting a substantial loan fee? Perhaps getting his wages off the books is the difference in bringing in a midfielder. No one here is in high level discussions of what the deal is.

Modern day football some people seem more concerned at the deal we can make rather than the players/squad itself. 

all I’ve read on here is Ashworth & Eales are the business let’s trust them with the deal then. They won’t be giving him away that’s for sure

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Does anyone understand that if he wanted the move then we had to sell? Understand the fee isnt what you might expect but this one stinks of the player forcing it through regardless.

Time is on our side, not his. He is more of an asset to us than sending him out on loan to Manure with a super-low fee. 

Hate this transfer but I guess it’s a good move for him with a likely pay bump. It doesn’t seem financially a good deal for us. 

The difference he made when coming into our first team felt massive at the time and won’t forget what he has done for us. 

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

It's possible getting his wages off the books (£44,000/wk) plus a loan fee was part of the equation for getting Isak or is key to bringing another in. Not to mention the player very clearly wanting the move. 

Exactly this. We need to shift players out. We were always going to lose a goalkeeper. Sometimes we just have to make the best deals we can or end up with 4 keepers one of which would be unhappy 

2 minutes ago, maze said:

Time is on our side, not his. He is more of an asset to us than sending him out on loan to Manure with a super-low fee. 

So you'd like to keep an unhappy player around on the bench? Absolutely no chance with Howe in charge.

In hindsight, probably would have been better off keeping Woodman. Possibly still not fully adequate for a number 2, but I think I'd be more confident with him on the bench than I would if it is going to be Darlow going forward.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

No point in bringing in an upgrade for next to nothing? How is that logical?

Back to square one in terms of strength in depth in that department. 

I'm also not of the opinion that Pope is significantly better than Dubravka anyway. He's an upgrade and has been great so far absolutely, but it's not the ideal scenario still needing to rely on Darlow for some games this year. 

22 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Why are we agreeing to that? I think that’s really poor on our end.

It's absolutely shit by us after January. Giving totally the wrong message, they can try and fuck us with a red hot iron up the arse when we wanted one of their players, yet we go on our back for a tummy tickle when they want one of ours. Load of shit.

1 minute ago, Amir_9 said:

Back to square one in terms of strength in depth in that department. 

I'm also not of the opinion that Pope is significantly better than Dubravka anyway. He's an upgrade and has been great so far absolutely, but it's not the ideal scenario still needing to rely on Darlow for some games this year. 

We are not in a position to have the luxury of strength in depth all over. Is GK really the priority? I'd much prefer to have more depth in the midfield or up front.

I'm a fan of Dubravka and until this season's games I even rated him slightly above Pope. Turns out I was very wrong, cause Pope is much more commanding and has already shown amazing reflexes.

With that said,  Dubs has shown signs that he's past his best - mainly the injuries. So I have no problem with the rumoured fee and his desire to move there. But he's never displacing De Gea. Not because of the Spaniard's class and reliability but cause of his rumoured 400.000 salary -  this makes him both undroppable and unsalable. So good luck to Dubs in the few games that he'll feature in. 

33 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Why are we agreeing to that? I think that’s really poor on our end.

If it's only £5 million, I see no reason they can't and shouldn't just buy him up front.

I hope the loan fee is closer to 5m, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense to strengthen their squad and weaken ours. Even an obligation to buy at 5m would have been reasonable.