Islam Slimani - Returned to Leicester

Figures 1-0 Football

Pre-Leicester he was lethal. If he’s hungry to prove himself and Rafa actually wanted him it could work out very well.

Still riskier than spending £30m on someone guaranteed to score, but we knew that already.

Was there even anyone available for £30m who could be guaranteed to score goals? We were quoted £20m for Jorgensen and he wasn't guaranteeing anything. :lol:

Imo unless you're signing Lionel Messi there's no such thing as a player who will guarantee goals. There's a multitude of reasons why players might not hit form at a new club despite doing well for the former clubs. Messi is the only player in world football who transcends that.

Wrong. If anyone could ruin Lionel Messi it would be NUFC.

Guest chicken little

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/01/west-ham-suspend-tony-henry-racism-claim-sign-african-players

West Ham are facing a crisis after their head of player recruitment was suspended following allegations of racism and unlawful discrimination. Senior players reacted with bemusement to the club’s messy end to the transfer window and remarks by Karren Brady were said to have scuppered a deal to sign Islam Slimani from Leicester.

[...]

According to a source, attempts to sign Slimani were hindered because Brady, the club’s vice-chairman, offended Leicester’s owners with comments about the club’s chairman, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, in her weekly column for the Sun last year.

“A fellow Premier League director reports that last night he bumped into the Leicester chairman at London’s most expensive wine shop,” Brady wrote. “The Leicester owner told him they’d sacked Claudio Ranieri.

“He then casually settled his bill for wine and champagne. Since the sum was close to £500,000 I guess the compensation to his old manager is pocket change. At least the owner can drown his sorrows in style!”

The source suggested Brady’s comments ended up becoming a PR own goal when Leicester refused to consider West Ham’s interest in Slimani, paving the way for Newcastle United to sign the Algerian forward on loan. It is claimed that despite repeated apologies from West Ham, attempts to make peace with Leicester fell on deaf ears.

haha cheers dickhead

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/01/west-ham-suspend-tony-henry-racism-claim-sign-african-players

West Ham are facing a crisis after their head of player recruitment was suspended following allegations of racism and unlawful discrimination. Senior players reacted with bemusement to the club’s messy end to the transfer window and remarks by Karren Brady were said to have scuppered a deal to sign Islam Slimani from Leicester.

[...]

According to a source, attempts to sign Slimani were hindered because Brady, the club’s vice-chairman, offended Leicester’s owners with comments about the club’s chairman, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, in her weekly column for the Sun last year.

“A fellow Premier League director reports that last night he bumped into the Leicester chairman at London’s most expensive wine shop,” Brady wrote. “The Leicester owner told him they’d sacked Claudio Ranieri.

“He then casually settled his bill for wine and champagne. Since the sum was close to £500,000 I guess the compensation to his old manager is pocket change. At least the owner can drown his sorrows in style!”

The source suggested Brady’s comments ended up becoming a PR own goal when Leicester refused to consider West Ham’s interest in Slimani, paving the way for Newcastle United to sign the Algerian forward on loan. It is claimed that despite repeated apologies from West Ham, attempts to make peace with Leicester fell on deaf ears.

haha cheers dickhead

Whew ... talk about fine margins man. We were so incredibly fortunate yesterday :lol:

Imagine being a vice chairman of a prem league club and running a weekly gossip column in the friggin Sun newspaper :lol:

What a tacky woman. Have to love the pettiness by Leicester to hold that against them for a year, and not only then deny them a chance to sign Slimani, but hand him over to a relegation rival. Delicious :lol:

Think the same, Sturridge has major problems with injury, its been about 4 years since he played regularly.  Then you've got the fact he just seems like a bit of a tit (I mean that dance FFS)  Also for all of him being considered proven, if you directly compare their records in the time Slimani has been here:

Sturridge - 1200 minutes played - 5 goals = goal every 2.66 games

Slimani - 1521 minutes played - 8 goals = goal every 2.11 games

West Ham missed out on Algeria striker Islam Slimani, 29, because Leicester refused to deal with Karren Brady after the Hammers vice-chair made comments in a newspaper about the Foxes' sacking of former manager Claudio Ranieri. Slimani has gone on loan to Newcastle. (Guardian)

West Ham missed out on Algeria striker Islam Slimani, 29, because Leicester refused to deal with Karren Brady after the Hammers vice-chair made comments in a newspaper about the Foxes' sacking of former manager Claudio Ranieri. Slimani has gone on loan to Newcastle. (Guardian)

But I thought they don't want to sign Africans anyway. Is Algeria not too African for them?  :hmm:

But I thought they don't want to sign Africans anyway. Is Algeria not too African for them?  :hmm:

What could be different about north African people? ???

They cam into our cantry, take our fakin jobs...etc.

Lovely people

Think the same, Sturridge has major problems with injury, its been about 4 years since he played regularly.  Then you've got the fact he just seems like a bit of a tit (I mean that dance FFS)  Also for all of him being considered proven, if you directly compare their records in the time Slimani has been here:

Sturridge - 1200 minutes played - 5 goals = goal every 2.66 games

Slimani - 1521 minutes played - 8 goals = goal every 2.11 games

Not to mention Slimani should be perfect for Rafa's style of play, I think he will suit better than Sturridge, who is a fantastic goal scorer, but probably relies on better service. I would have loved Sturridge, don't get me wrong, but in the back of my mind I was shit scared he would get injured and miss out on the majority of games.

What could be different about north African people? ???

Random factoid; Africa is massively genetically diverse, far more than the rest of the world put together, northern Europeans are actually more closely genetically related to Aboriginal Australians than West Africans are to East Africans.