Newcastle United 0-1 West Bromwich Albion - 28/04/18 - post match from page 9

Greg

Awful performance no getting away from it. I've always stuck up for Yedlin but I think maybe right back maybe the first position we need to strengthen in the summer.

Finally the fans. Again I always stick up for the crowd because we are the best in the country (albeit we don't have much competition) but the crowd were as bad as the team today. Support was pathetic and the boos and jeers for any misplaced passes were louder than any positive support for the players. Shameful really. Bad day at the office all round.

:lol: Come on, man...

Other than centre forward which position would you look to be strengthening first?

Number 10 and central midfield. It may seem harsh considering the contribution from both Perez and Diame during our recent run but do you really want them starting all next season? I just don't think a centre forward alone would instantly turn our fortunes around on the attacking front.

We've a relatively steady backline. Yedlin is the first defender I'd upgrade but certainly not the first starting XI player I'd upgrade.

Bear in mind he was shite today and we still only dropped the one goal. We'd be over it if we had any ability to unlock a reasonably solid defence.

He was very poor earlier in the season and his poor positional play was explored by our opponents. He's undoubtedly the weak link in the defence. I wouldn't be disappointed if we started with him next season but has the first defender I'd look to upgrade on.

Awful performance no getting away from it. I've always stuck up for Yedlin but I think maybe right back maybe the first position we need to strengthen in the summer.

Finally the fans. Again I always stick up for the crowd because we are the best in the country (albeit we don't have much competition) but the crowd were as bad as the team today. Support was pathetic and the boos and jeers for any misplaced passes were louder than any positive support for the players. Shameful really. Bad day at the office all round.

:lol: Come on, man...

Other than centre forward which position would you look to be strengthening first?

Number 10 and central midfield. It may seem harsh considering the contribution from both Perez and Diame during our recent run but do you really want them starting all next season? I just don't think a centre forward alone would instantly turn our fortunes around on the attacking front.

We've a relatively steady backline. Yedlin is the first defender I'd upgrade but certainly not the first starting XI player I'd upgrade.

Bear in mind he was shite today and we still only dropped the one goal. We'd be over it if we had any ability to unlock a reasonably solid defence.

He was very poor earlier in the season and his poor positional play was explored by our opponents. He's undoubtedly the weak link in the defence. I wouldn't be disappointed if we started with him next season but has the first defender I'd look to upgrade on.

Agreed on that for sure. :thup:

Dummet was worse the Yedlin.

Agree he was poor but overall since he came back from injury he's been the better of the two full backs. Yedlin and Gayle out of the starting XI today would be the first two I'd look to replace in the summer.

I agree. Yedlin is great getting forward but poor defensively. And on the other flank we have total opposite Dummett better defensively crap and nervous going forward. If we dont sign Kenedy we should also need to look for something as good or forward thinking because his contribution since arriving has been very good. And for Gayle, well he is a great championship striker and thats probably his level.

I like pacy wingbacks so Dummet would be the first one in the defensive line I'd upgrade on, but Yedlin is a very close second as essentially all he's got is pace. But I fucking love pace.

Same

It's gonna make for a seriously wank summer - and a difficult start to next season - if we lose all our remaining games in as miserable a fashion as yesterday. Momentum is so important, really hope Rafa bangs their heads together and gets them to sort it out. Absolutely enormous credit to the squad for their effort over the past 18 months plus... howay let's not all of a sudden make it so much harder for ourselves.

If, after a number 9, a new right back isn't the next priority for replacement, then surely it would be right wing? And when it's anyone other than Ritchie, Yedlin always looks worse, because Ritchie defends so well. Which means that Yedlin would likely have to be replaced anyway if a new right winger came in, to get the defensive balance correct down that side.

Assuming we sign Dubravka then we need a right back, a left back, another central midfielder, number 10, Kennedy or another winger of a similar ilk, and a reliable striker. Plus some youngsters to pad out the squad depth.

Really like Darren Moore, think he speaks really well. I know caretakers rarely work in the long term but I do think they should give him the full time gig

They would surely have survived if they'd brought him straight in after Pulis instead of wasting over half the season by appointing Pardew and Carver.

Really like Darren Moore, think he speaks really well. I know caretakers rarely work in the long term but I do think they should give him the full time gig

:thup: Conducted himself with real class this weekend.

Should be a shoo-in for the job full time if he wants it.

Think you've got to look at the defensive four as a unit rather than as individuals and as a unit they've worked pretty well during the second half of the season.

A very good central pairing, a steady away unspectacular but defensively sound left back and a defensively suspect but very fast right back who loves getting forward.

There are deficiencies but probably more positives. When considering replacement/upgrades, how they will fit into the chemistry of the team will be just as important as their individual qualities. 

We are the Geordies, the Geordie boot boys~

And we are mental

And we are mad

We are the loyalist* football supporters

The world has ever had...

(*Unless we're getting beat 1-0 off West Brom)

Perhaps -t should be removed off 'boot' in the first line.

A poor display of course - probably the first at home of 2018 - but a really disappointing reaction from elements of the crowd; the sense of entitlement defies belief.

Guest Howaythetoon

My nephew was there and said it was an awful game matched by an equally awful atmopshere and that there was audible boos at the end. We should be beating WBA at home like regardless.

My nephew was there and said it was an awful game matched by an equally awful atmopshere and that there was audible boos at the end. We should be beating WBA at home like regardless.

Especially with our "world class" manager.

You've got issues.

Regardless of the fact that they are still clinging to the frayed threads of premiership survival?

Guest Howaythetoon

Regardless of the fact that they are still clinging to the frayed threads of premiership survival?

Aye, by all accounts it was an awful game between two awful teams (even if awful only on the day). If you can ‘comfortably’ beat Arsenal at home, WBA should be beaten or not lost to.

Guest Howaythetoon

Howay man, we are on course to finish top 10 and as critical as I have been this season, Rafa is a world-class manager. Maybe not at the very top of the tree these days, but he’s far too good for us and the major reason why we are staying up and comfortably so. The football is dire though, no denying it. I couldn’t pay to watch gang every week and would have been listed off had I been at the match yesterday. Fulham on the other hand who I had the pleasure of watching the other night, we are a joy to watch even though according to locals they didn’t play anywhere near as well as the have done this season. Lots of possession, wing play and crosses into the box.

You've got issues.

If having 'issues' is telling it as it is then yes, I have issues. Sorry, the Rafa appointment hasn't excited me much  but the football in the main has been pretty bland, dull and in the main utterly shit to watch. There's some think it a mortal sin to even contemplate that Rafa could be criticised.