Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

He is our Darren Fletcher. 

He doesn’t play the game with a cookie cutter role. He fills in gaps, he balances out what the other midfielders are doing, and he just offers us a diligence that’s hard to get out of our other players.

Were really missing longstaff - his workrate is massively under-rated. Such is the amount of ground he covers that:

In defence he often becomes an extra CB almost and sometimes an extra fullback.

In midfield he's a press monster.

In attack, hes sometimes an extra wide man or he'll make a late run in to the box through the middle.

Hes not the perfect midfielder by any means but hes perfect for Eddies system i think.

Bruno is just more likely to lose the ball when Longstaff isn’t there, just like what happened before their first goal.

The other team could really press hard against Bruno once he receives the ball in front of our defenders but Joelinton/Willock wouldn’t be available near him to help him come out of it, and he eventually would lose the ball. That’s where Longstaff was really helping. 

Edited by Solitude20

Longstaff's absence has illustrated two things: first, how vital he is to the way we play (as a player he's obviously not in Bruno's class - few are - but his tidiness on the ball and engine are first class); and second, why the McTominay links were so strong for so long.  I can 100% see why Howe would be interested in a player like McTominay to provide direct competition for Longstaff - we're going to need two players for each position who can play Howe-ball.  And I'm also aware that some will be reading that last sentence and somewhat disagree :) 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Longstaff's absence has illustrated two things: first, how vital he is to the way we play (as a player he's obviously not in Bruno's class - few are - but his tidiness on the ball and engine are first class); and second, why the McTominay links were so strong for so long.  I can 100% see why Howe would be interested in a player like McTominay to provide direct competition for Longstaff - we're going to need two players for each position who can play Howe-ball.  And I'm also aware that some will be reading that last sentence and somewhat disagree :) 

Like for self awareness. 

speaking for myself I’ve got no issues with us signing a box to box midfielder I also feel it would be great but my point has always been Mcsauce isn’t very good and we should be aiming for better players and not “project” players. 

I’m against McTominay on a point of principle, but it’s evident we’re very light in the centre of the park and need bodies.

We’ve alighted on a system that - when fit- we’ve got the players to make it work very well. Any injuries in that position and we’re a shadow of the team we can be.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I understand the links to Mctominay In terms of needing a player of that type, but we can 100% sign better than him for that role.