Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

6 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Yeah he was back to his best today. Hopefully he's healed whatever lingering injuries he was carrying for most of last season 

Went in for a massive 50/50 with Downes. Probably more 60/40 the other way and came out with the ball. He wasn’t doing that at all last season. So hopefully he is confident in his own body again and not playing injured or worrying about getting injured. 

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Stuck in a cruncher which was class.

Yeah that was immense. Ultimately Tonali will probably replace him and Willock will be pushing to start eventually but he has a big role to play squad wise. 

Was gonna say, the looming threat of Tonali taking his place will undoubtedly make him step up, which is the whole point in having a competitive squad of top players vying for that shirt. Good stuff

3 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Was gonna say, the looming threat of Tonali taking his place will undoubtedly make him step up, which is the whole point in having a competitive squad of top players vying for that shirt. Good stuff

Spot on

It was the perfect game to showcase what Longstaff brings to the team; industry off the ball and lots of covering. In games where we’ve got more than 25% possession is when he looks like the weaker link in the middle.

Must admit, I was seething when I saw Sean being all buddy-buddy with that diving melt at the end of the match though. Sounds shan, but he needs more bite in him. I don’t want my midfielders to be sweetie-pies on the pitch.

Edited by McCormick

Burn and others were the same, to be fair, seems harsh to single Longstaff out for that especially after he made a point of putting him on his arse during the game.

15 hours ago, Fak said:

He did a lot of very good work off the ball today.

Our midfield didn't really click when we had 11 men out there though so we really need players who can do good work on it. For this game once we went down to 10 men we needed grafters who would close the spaces down and for that situation Longstaff was perfect.

he looked back to his best physically which I think is the most important thing for him. Was quicker across the pitch and faster into his tackles.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Burn and others were the same, to be fair, seems harsh to single Longstaff out for that especially after he made a point of putting him on his arse during the game.

Fair. Must have missed the others doing it.

Edited by McCormick

I really like him, I know he’s limited to a point but as others have said he was injured for much of last season. Ultimately Willock and Tonali offer more each with different attributes but Longstaff absolutely has a role to play here.

Barring significant injury issues, there's no good reason for us to see him start many games again.

Tonali back.

Also, we looked massively better with Joelinton at RCM and Willock LCM after the changes. And that was an off-form Joelinton.

He's an absolute albatross around the neck of our attempts to play decent football. It's not just his inability to pick a pass, he has no ability to do anything progressive with the ball when under pressure in possession. It's either play a ball back which puts the defender or keeper under pressure or else attempt to get his body between the opponent and the ball and then fall down.

He's not the only problem but man I'm sick of watching him.