Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's such a weird player to assess. Sometimes looks alright, sometimes looks absolutely terrible even against really poor opposition. 

Slower games are better for him, so many of his mistakes are due to not being athletic or agile enough to get his body in the right position at the right time. 

I think assessing anybody from that game is difficult. 10 players that haven't played together so far, and Willock, who should have been the leader out there. Anderson took his chance but he had the blessing of having that chance. Longstaff had a lot of responsibility on his shoulders, and while he didn't cover himself in glory for their goal, we got the result.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Forgot he played.

Based on yesterday's performance - wor Jamaal doesn't deserve to be mentioned in that company. I don't think any of the others would be standout players in the Championship.

They were league 2 opposition. He deserves to be mentioned in there. Got to be brutal to move forward.

Longstaff is really not suited to a deeper role. His awareness of players behind him and what space to occupy is poor.

He’s a decent sub for the 1st team if we want to press. His passing is ok imo and he can use both feet pretty well.

I’m sure it helps having local lads who are die hard fans playing for the club. Helps the culture and generating togetherness.

He’s not awful, just average and if his wages are low, for where we are I reckon that’s ok.

26 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Longstaff is really not suited to a deeper role. His awareness of players behind him and what space to occupy is poor.

He’s a decent sub for the 1st team if we want to press. His passing is ok imo and he can use both feet pretty well.

I’m sure it helps having local lads who are die hard fans playing for the club. Helps the culture and generating togetherness.

He’s not awful, just average and if his wages are low, for where we are I reckon that’s ok.

He's too close to starting games for my liking.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Most of last night's team are, unfortunately. Botman... I think that's it. I think Longstaff was just as effective as Willock, who doesn't have the excuse of not playing for 3 weeks. I love the kid but he's frustrating the hell out of me.

Edited to remind myself that I missed the second half.

Edited by Happinesstan

41 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Would imagine he’ll struggle to make the squad by next summer.

Has to be a transition for the squad. Place holders like him who love the club probably have their place tbf.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Would imagine he’ll struggle to make the squad by next summer.

Has to be a transition for the squad. Place holders like him who love the club probably have their place tbf.

Yeh tbf.

Currently he's first CM off the bench. If we add another CM this window, Shelvey comes back... he's 1 further signing away from not making the squad. That's likely 12-18 months away.

There are a few who played last night that are okay fitting into the 1st team, our team spirit will cover individual weaknesses. But with all of them together we just have too many weaknesses all over the pitch.

Krafth [out now unfortunately]

Lascelles

Lewis [hopeful]

Longsaff

Anderson

Wood

The rest need to be last resorts. I didn't include Targett and Willock because they are 1st team, but Willock needs upgrading.

I have no doubt he wants to play for this club and do his bit but he doesn’t have that attribute of wanting to be the best he can possibly be, his concentration let’s him down and general awareness of what’s going on around him at times.

You'll never see him getting angry and wanting to deck someone (like Joelinton).. like just sort of lacks that fire. He’s happy to run about closing players down and making a nuisance of himself and he’ll take a shot on if given an opportunity but he doesn’t make things happen.

I hope that’s not being cruel, I certainly don’t endorse any abuse he’s gotten. He’s a good lad like, but he needs to realise he has an opportunity here that has a time limit. Like it’s been nearly 4 years since that amazing performance against City in the 2-1 and he’s done fuck all since then. Not all his fault obviously (Bruce etc) but he needs to start stepping up or it will pass him by.

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I have no doubt he wants to play for this club and do his bit but he doesn’t have that attribute of wanting to be the best he can possibly be, his concentration let’s him down and general awareness of what’s going on around him at times.

You'll never see him getting angry and wanting to deck someone (like Joelinton).. like just sort of lacks that fire. He’s happy to run about closing players down and making a nuisance of himself and he’ll take a shot on if given an opportunity but he doesn’t make things happen.

I hope that’s not being cruel, I certainly don’t endorse any abuse he’s gotten. He’s a good lad like, but he needs to realise he has an opportunity here that has a time limit. Like it’s been nearly 4 years since that amazing performance against City in the 2-1 and he’s done fuck all since then. Not all his fault obviously (Bruce etc) but he needs to start stepping up or it will pass him by.

I don't see him reaching any dizzy heights, but he'll be our Mr. average for the next few years, unless he gets a bit more ambition and wants regular first team football. He'll shine every now and again, and have the odd mistake but he'll generally be reliable.

8 hours ago, La Parka said:

He was so poor last night. Off the pace, immobile, poor decisions... I don't think we'll ever have that purple patch again.

Shame both him and Murphy have blown important opportunities to show their worth. Neither looking like keepers, though suspect Sean still has a bit of a chance to change minds.