Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

On 23/06/2023 at 13:14, Beth said:

Imagine this season he'll be in the same role as Lee Clark in the first few prem years under Keegan, won't start many but dependable enough to come off the bench when needed.

Clark was a regular starter for the first 2.5 years in the PL, until he fell out with KK after Batty was signed. When ironically we stopped creating as many chances and allowed Man Utd to chase us down

13 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Think people overrate him a bit due to our losses when we had him out and no other midfielder to bring in.

Could it also be a case of because he's a local lad who's come through the academy, rather than a £40M signing that his actual ability and contribution is under-rated?

1 hour ago, ScottishMagpie said:

I'm not sure how effective he has been/is when coming off the bench continually.  Not saying he should, but think he needs to start a game or even a a small run of starts.

Especially coming on when losing. I love Sean, but agreed he is a player that helps provide a foundation for the team so we can win the game over 90mins from kick off. Bringing him on for 20mins seems to hurt his game. 

2 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Could it also be a case of because he's a local lad who's come through the academy, rather than a £40M signing that his actual ability and contribution is under-rated?

I don't think it's that, people maybe overrate him for the same reason. He definitely gives us more running, but he's also a bit clumsier under pressure, so you gain some and lose some.

Anyway the two games where we've struggled for control are out of the way now, so everyone will probably look better against Brentford.

Sean Longstaff is a home grown bread and butter, unsung (generally) midfielder who grafts his arse off but gets overlooked a lot due to the more technically gifted midfielders.

You have a better chance to win things with players like Longstaff playing as major part alongside the bigger quality.

3 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

You could also say it's a case of bringing in a 40m signing that isn't demonstrating anymore ability or contribution than a lad who came through the academy for nowt 

He may not be a superstar but the stats say we win more games with him in the team 

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

You could also say it's a case of bringing in a 40m signing that isn't demonstrating anymore ability or contribution than a lad who came through the academy for nowt 

He may not be a superstar but the stats say we win more games with him in the team 

Bit early to be writing Tonali off. The whole idea of signing players like him is so we have a squad padded out with quality. 

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Bit early to be writing Tonali off. The whole idea of signing players like him is so we have a squad padded out with quality. 

I'm not honestly. I think he will come good.

I'm just stating a fact in defence of a player who contributed immensely to get us to 4th. 

5 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Clark was a regular starter for the first 2.5 years in the PL, until he fell out with KK after Batty was signed. When ironically we stopped creating as many chances and allowed Man Utd to chase us down

I think clarky was an integral part of the entertainers and was more of a player than he was given credit for, him, Pedro, Lee and sellars were unbelievable together. 

The irony is that we let him go for first team football at a time when dalglish was bringing absolute toss 

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Would you like to tell me which one of our starting midfielders played well at Brighton? Bit odd to single out Longstaff in this context 

Well that's the point, everybody looked bad against Brighton, and Man City before that because they just passed around our press. I'm sure all our midfielders will look a lot better against Brentford, including Longstaff if he plays.

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Would you like to tell me which one of our starting midfielders played well at Brighton? Bit odd to single out Longstaff in this context 

I'm in his thread and reading posts saying how he'll fix things but he had a terrible 32 minutes+extra time at Brighton.

17 minutes ago, Pata said:

I'm in his thread and reading posts saying how he'll fix things but he had a terrible 32 minutes+extra time at Brighton.

Maybe he will be a lot more use starting.  But when he has come on this season, he has looked miles off it and worse than whoever he has replaced. 

Not sure Longstaff is the answer to our current midfield worries. 

9 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I don't really know how he does it but we are so much more balanced with him in midfield.

Yeah. Individually I don't think he was brilliant (aside from that class ball to Barnes) but aye, the midfield was so much more balanced today. Bruno, Joe and Tonali has a truckload of quality but Christ knows there's been no meaningful structure the last couple times they played.