Fabian Schär

Very confident on the ball today and drove it forward when given the space. Showed some nice touches to kill the ball made it look easy. 

Only thing missing was his obligatory head injury with their striker.

He's great generally, just a really good footballer, just wish him along with a few other of our big lads could make better use of their height at set pieces. Ironically he's actually pretty good at using his head when defending.

10 hours ago, Pata said:

Thought he was amazing today, wondering if I'm forgetting some rick due to the neutral ratings in the match thread. Rock solid defensively and really good on the ball as usual. Loved the way he handled Podence (?) when they were countering on full speed and Jimenez did nothing against him.

Aye. Thought he’d be getting more love. MOTM, for me. 

Only thing he did wrong was lose it once overplaying on the halfway line. Flawless other than that. 

Regularly gets left on an island, with Trippier so far advanced. But he always manages to win the ball and cover. He was playing agains numerous fast and direct attacking players and handled them well. Plus he easily won his battle with Jimenez. 

Three and a half million pounds :smitten:

Who the fuck does the player ratings at Sky? :lol:

Newcastle: Pope (7); Trippier (8), Schar (6), Botman (6), Burn (7); Guimaraes (7), Longstaff (6), Willock (7); Murphy (6), Isak (9), Saint-Maximin (7)

Wolves weren’t switched on to cutting the passing lanes when Schär carried it forward, I don’t think many teams defend it well. We can skip the midfield without hoofing it, both Fab and Botman can do it well, I’d still like to see Botman carrying it forward just that little bit more and with a little more regularity. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Sometimes I wish he was more patient in his passing. The floaty ball to nowhere is his speciality. 

Otherwise he’s imperious these days. 

Yeah, he has a bit of Shelvey in him but think he has dialed it down a bit lately imo.

Botman is the worse out of the two when tryinh to pass it forward. Sends shivers down me spine when he plays it forward. Schar might float it to nowhere, but he won't play it straight to a nearby opposing player like Botman does.

Surprised at any criticism of his passing after yesterday. The data may suggest otherwise but I thought it was a key weapon for us. That one in-particular in the first half where he strode forward then pinged it over to ASM in space without looking was sumptuous. 

Thought he was absolutely brilliant yesterday; pipped only by Willock for motm. 

I know we were flat for a bit but I honestly thought it was a really good performance all round. Got to be optimistic that we're out of our funk. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Surprised at any criticism of his passing after yesterday. The data may suggest otherwise but I thought it was a key weapon for us. That one in-particular in the first half where he strode forward then pinged it over to ASM in space without looking was sumptuous. 

Thought he was absolutely brilliant yesterday; pipped only by Willock for motm. 

I know we were flat for a bit but I honestly thought it was a really good performance all round. Got to be optimistic that we're out of our funk. 

I was curious, as I generally agree with you, and think his passing is a great weapon for us, but looking at his passing stats from this season its actually not the greatest:

4238aeb566368e4296cfa4f1a310ac3b.png