Miguel Almirón

Deuce

i like miggy but he really should be practicing with his right foot at the end of every training session.

its managealbe to get it to a level where he can at least just swing it and play a cross in from the right.

ficks sake, i've seen both my teenage boys manage to do it with their weaker  feet. fucking practice. its not impossible man.

There is no doubt Miggy has improved as a player over the last 12 months but there is also no doubt for us to take the next step steep we need better players.  Diaby for example would have fit that bill.

Edited by duo

7 minutes ago, duo said:

There is no doubt Miggy has improved as a player over the last 12 months but there is also no doubt for us to take the next step steep we need better players.  Diaby for example would have fit that bill.

Over the next 12 months he’ll become a squad player. Think we’ll add a right sided attacker, young striker to take over from Wilson in future, right centre back, and midfield upgrade for big Joe in summer 24.

This summer would have been the one to cash in - he won’t be worth what he’s worth atm again - but I don’t think it’s the end of the world that he wasn’t replaced.  We’ve got one of Europe’s most effective attacking RBs - Almiron’s engine and total commitment does a lot of covering for Trippier.

Don’t get me wrong - a lot of what made him effective early last season has been ‘sussed’.  He’s making the same runs, but Trippier and Bruno aren’t making the same passes, because the defences are now obviously anticipating that ‘give and move’ that Almiron does when cutting in.   But the lad gives everything, and I think plays at his maximum every game.  

4 hours ago, The Butcher said:

For all the good we've done this window it's really disappointing that Miggy will be a starter this season. Rome wasn't built in a day an all that, but I really, really wanted that shiny new RW :lol:

Aye.  

And there’s not hot competition either. 

I thought he did better than Gordon though.  

My biggest gripe with him and Almiron is that you fancy a good fullback to deal with them 1v1 comfortably.  But their work rate is great.  

Everyone has an entrenched position on Miggy so it’s a fairly pointless discussion. 

Every time he does something class one camp will be proved right, whenever he has a quiet game the other will. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This summer would have been the one to cash in - he won’t be worth what he’s worth atm again - but I don’t think it’s the end of the world that he wasn’t replaced.  We’ve got one of Europe’s most effective attacking RBs - Almiron’s engine and total commitment does a lot of covering for Trippier.

Don’t get me wrong - a lot of what made him effective early last season has been ‘sussed’.  He’s making the same runs, but Trippier and Bruno aren’t making the same passes, because the defences are now obviously anticipating that ‘give and move’ that Almiron does when cutting in.   But the lad gives everything, and I think plays at his maximum every game.  

And that was still our best route to goal yesterday too. We need to find different recipes. 

Partially why I was disappointed not to see Livra at fullback.  At either fullback spot. I wanted to see us try something else. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Everyone has an entrenched position on Miggy so it’s a fairly pointless discussion. 

Every time he does something class one camp will be proved right, whenever he has a quiet game the other will. 

Football is not so binary. 

Miguel is a good but limited footballer. He has the capacity to do well and has great application.  He also has limitations  that is also evident.  

I’m not in a camp.  He’s our best option. Hope he does well. The position does neeed upgrading though. 

This is Almiron's fifth season with us, in that time we've seen a thorough portrait of him as a player. 

He's a hard working wide player that can press effectively and has a moment of magic in his boots. The problem is that makes the moments he fluffs it more frustrating, and when he's not operating instinctively he tends to tie himself in knots and make bad decisions. He can go long periods of not being involved in a game, and he's painfully one footed. He can beat a man, but typically he needs space to do it. He's not a dribbler like Maxi or Zaha. Despite all of that he had double figures for goals last season. He was effective. We used that same justification for signing Harvey Barnes for £35m. 

I appreciate people wanted a new right winger, but finding someone with the blend of speed, industry, and goals wouldn't be cheap. I also don't know many wingers in that mould. I was interested to see FB Ref had Jesper Lindstrom - someone we were linked to - as a similar profile, but I always anticipated Eddie would want a CM and a left winger this summer as his biggest deals. That's not a slight on ASM, but he missed a dozen or so games last year. Miggy missed four. 

It wouldn't shock me if Miggy comes to life in the Champions League. 

Man City made Real Madrid look like a primary school team last year. We can obviously improve on Miggy but the same can be said on numerous players to an extent. 

His commitment is second to none and he is a team player. I have no doubt that is way more important to EH at the minute. Diaby is better player for sure but I guarantee on his off days, he will be a scapegoat for his lack of workrate.

Prove them wrong Miggy! 

He's getting stick because if you're taking off one of him or Gordon it has to be him. It's fine margins, but Gordon had Trent on toast every time. I love Miggy, and he was denied a wonder goal by an outstanding save today, which makes the one that hit the post all the more important. As the margins get finer at the top of the table he's going to need to be more clinical.