Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Watching the games today with the teams around us, only one conclusion, we are fucked

I mean we've got 19 points and the cliche is that you need 40.  Thinking of the massively jammy and improbable results we got during that period when Bruce was "shutting a few people up" can anyone see us getting more points in the second half of the season than we did in the first now we're in club-wide spiral of failure and depression? Or anywhere near? 

Watching the games today with the teams around us, only one conclusion, we are fucked

I mean we've got 19 points and the cliche is that you need 40.  Thinking of the massively jammy and improbable results we got during that period when Bruce was "shutting a few people up" can anyone see us getting more points in the second half of the season than we did in the first now we're in club-wide spiral of failure and depression? Or anywhere near? 

hasnt it been a while since any team needed close to 40 points to avoid relegation.

may be wrong but u;m thinking 36-38 points maybe?

still out of our reach i feel.

The best hope to get Bruce out ASAP is hope the long covid stuff about ASM was somehow true and enough to dampen his performances or that he’s that sick of Bruce too he will jack it in.

If he returns as the player he was last season then he is going to bail Bruce out. People have quickly forgotten our record with him in the team.

I even thought Burnley had a style of play/intention to get a result today.

Coaches like Dyche and Allardyce are levels above Bruce (and Pardew for that matter) for this exact reason. They have an idea, a strategy, a 'philosophy', and they know how to implement it and make sure their players understand and perform it. The patterns of play become automatic which means the foundations are there, regardless of form or opponent. They'll never work at a top club but they can get a promotion, keep a team in the Premier League, and maybe, once or twice, luck will fall their way for a season and they'll get a team into Europe.

Managers like Bruce and Pardew have nothing apart from blind faith in their own 'man management'. They float wherever the wind takes them (has to be a slightly stronger wind for Bruce to float obviously). They have no understanding of how to get out of a 'crisis', no genuine trust in their own ability (compare that to Rafa's calmness when things aren't going his way). Eventually they float in so many directions that their players get dizzy and start wondering if there is any purpose, on the football pitch or in life. Unsurprisingly their insecurities start coming to the surface as soon as genuine pressure is heaped on them.

I even thought Burnley had a style of play/intention to get a result today.

Coaches like Dyche and Allardyce are levels above Bruce (and Pardew for that matter) for this exact reason. They have an idea, a strategy, a 'philosophy', and they know how to implement it and make sure their players understand and perform it. The patterns of play become automatic which means the foundations are there, regardless of form or opponent. They'll never work at a top club but they can get a promotion, keep a team in the Premier League, and maybe, once or twice, luck will fall their way for a season and they'll get a team into Europe.

Managers like Bruce and Pardew have nothing apart from blind faith in their own 'man management'. They float wherever the wind takes them (has to be a slightly stronger wind for Bruce to float obviously). They have no understanding of how to get out of a 'crisis', no genuine trust in their own ability (compare that to Rafa's calmness when things aren't going his way). Eventually they float in so many directions that their players get dizzy and start wondering if there is any purpose, on the football pitch or in life. Unsurprisingly their insecurities start coming to the surface as soon as genuine pressure is heaped on them.

That’s bang on like good post ?

Good post and i think a fairly big part of fan frustration is that we all knew this when he was appointed. It was so blindingly obvious. So when you get to where we are now you have the double rage whammy of how turgid it is, on top of screaming we f***ing told you so.

What's your assessment of Bruce, Cronky[/member]?

I'd like to hear people answer the question that I put - in practical terms, who do you want for the job, that would realistically take it in the current situation?

The only suggestions I've come across on the last few pages are the current coach of a youth team in San Diego, and 'any kunt'. Which perhaps amounts to the same thing.

Too many to mention, actually. I think Eddie Howe could be interested. I’d take Pearson as a firefighter to keep us up. David Wagner was mentioned on here, I don’t particularly rate him, but would take him temporarily. Warren Barton. Sanchez Flores. And then there are higher rated managers, not impossible that some of them could be interested, especially with a potential takeover looming.

Of those, Eddie Howe is the most interesting, but I don't see him as a firefighter. He's very attached to his home area and I doubt he'd come. He quit Burnley for personal reasons. Plus something seems to have happened in his last few months at Bournemouth that may have scarred him - they shouldn't have been relegated with the squad they had.

Pearson has had serious health issues, and I don't know that he'd offer anything exceptional. Sanchez Flores and Wagner have both failed at their last managerial ventures.

Apart from being an ex-player who might well want the job, Warren Barton's qualifications for the task are wholly inadequate. Presumably though there would be no huge compensation issues with prising him away from the Del Mar Carmel Valley Sharks youth team.

The Brentford manager has been touted on here, but he inherited a very good set up at Brentford which has allowed them to punch above their weight for several seasons. The pressure of managing our club is entirely different, as with Eddie Howe and Bournemouth. Brentford are chasing promotion so there's also doubt about whether he'd come.

Ultimately, the 'anyone will do' idea would only work if you believe that we've got a good squad who are under-achieving to a huge degree. I can't see that's the case.

We wouldn’t be doing much better points wise with Guardiola to be fair our squad is 80% bang average plodders. Not many of our squad could get in the upper mid table sides like Everton, West Ham Southampton etc.

The ones I could make a case for would be Darlow, Dubravka, a couple of the centre halfs at a push and ASM and Wilson, the rest are all bottom 6 PL to championship level. So that’s about 20% of our squad who would get games at the sides above us.

We wouldn’t be doing much better points wise with Guardiola to be fair our squad is 80% bang average plodders. Not many of our squad could get in the upper mid table sides like Everton, West Ham Southampton etc.

The ones I could make a case for would be Darlow, Dubravka, a couple of the centre halfs at a push and ASM and Wilson, the rest are all bottom 6 PL to championship level. So that’s about 20% of our squad who would get games at the sides above us.

We wouldn’t go down with a better manager. This isn’t about getting top ten.

Fully agree we wouldn’t and I agree with Bruce we have a decent chance of going down although as I have stated I think a certain Frenchman will save his bacon pun intended. I despise Bruce more than anyone I wouldn’t want him here if we were in the top half, just saying a lot of our fans do overrate our team they think the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie are top half players when they are ready for the glue factory now in PL terms

We wouldn’t be doing much better points wise with Guardiola.........

I know he's yet to manage a team without world class players, but still ? I've gotta assume he can get a better points return than Steve "go out and play" Bruce.

Schar looked like one of the best Centre halves in the league under Benitez. Says it all that every player who played under both Benitez and now Bruce has regressed except for the overworked goalkeeper.

I sadly think that Bruce is going to be around for a few more weeks yet, when when the inevitable losses come. History tells us that Ashley only acts when it’s too late, and us playing in empty stadiums give him and Bruce  the shelter neither deserve.

I think the bigger obstacle to Bruce getting sacked will be the prospect of a takeover still going through. As long as that is still a possibility Ashley wouldn't want to be making drastic changes as PIF would want to appoint their own manager when they come in. At best I think we might get some sort of temporary solution, although not sure there are any firefighter managers around now that Allardyce has gone to West Brom.

Ashley can't even promote a caretaker manager from within because Bruce has appointed a team of fuckwits to work with him so he won't be made to look stupid on the job.

Fully agree we wouldn’t and I agree with Bruce we have a decent chance of going down although as I have stated I think a certain Frenchman will save his bacon pun intended. I despise Bruce more than anyone I wouldn’t want him here if we were in the top half, just saying a lot of our fans do overrate our team they think the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie are top half players when they are ready for the glue factory now in PL terms

The problem being ASM looked way out of form over his last 3-4 games for us. “If” he has long covid what are the chances he’ll get back to form in time?