Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Steve Bruce: Aston Villa boss defiant after criticism from fans

"I've heard I'm a dinosaur. But I've been promoted twice in the five years," Bruce told BBC WM. "If I go, who are they going to get who's any better?"

Bruce, whose side travel to Oakwell to face Barnsley on Saturday, added: "Is that the fix? Off with my head, then someone else comes in and changes everything again?

"This team came in either last Christmas or this summer and people are judging them on six months. That's not long enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41270566

[A barely coherent ramble after beer]

I don't even feel angry at Bruce at this point tbh, I just think he's pathetic and a bit laughable, and I've surprised myself with that a little bit, because I find him very similar to Pardew, who made my blood simmer.

I suppose the difference is I cared a lot more around 2013/14ish sort of time; I hadn't quite been juiced of my 'traditional' support at that point. True apathy was certainly on its way but the shock of losing the club was still quite new, and there was still a very distant, unlikely hope that a Rafa might come along and everything would be okay. So within that context, I could feel affronted by Pardew's self-servingness and particularly the way he enabled the Ashleyfication of the club; and I hated him. Really, truly loathed him. He was the manager of my club, not Nothing FC.

With Rafa's replacement, it wouldn't really matter who it was - I would dislike him. It had been confirmed, beyond any doubt at all, that there was nothing left to support. I was always going to feel - at best - a lack of respect for them, because what half-arsed 'never-was' would come and work for Ashley, after the lack of ambition and pointlessness had been confirmed unconditionally? I'll feel similarly unmoved by whoever comes in, should Bruce's position become untenable even by Ashley's standards. Want to be a manager at this club? You're obviously either useless, selfish, clueless or just a pillock.

The answer to the question in 2019, though, was Steve Bruce. So whilst I've felt hate, it's not particularly strong. Just hate the situation more than anything. I've probably only really felt really strongly either way (the bad way) when we've won, and he's been smug and felt vindicated and/or we've had to put up with short-sighted, patronising slavver from the media. 'Doing alright isn't he?' No. Fuck off.

Now he's affirmed himself as the joke I knew he was, I feel really relaxed and I'm just basking in his nonsense, feeling total vindication. If Pardew was coming out with this tripe I'd probably have boils popping out of my forehead at this point. But it's Bruce, the joke, the nothing. The manager of Nothing FC. Keep on talking shite, ye daft prick, it's good craic.

Just nipped on to .com and read the whole speech in one take rather than piecemeal. Seems even more staggering seen altogether!  Reads like he's asking for the sack.

Watched his zoom conference, and thought he was spouting same cliches bollocks as usual, but reading it on .com he seems to be showing to have a bit of bollocks about him. Owning up to the horror show it's becoming

Far, far too late, and at the wrong time, but for the most part he's telling it how it is finally.

Would have rather he said stuff like We were absolutely frigging hopeless the other night. Absolute shite. straight after the game instead of him usual deflective bullshit, blaming VAR, dust etc.

Reading the grauniads article it is interpreted at Bruce furious at players trying to insist we return to Benitez's 3 at the back. 2 years into the job he is still blaming Rafa for our performances. Its a total fucking joke. It is beyond ridiculous this is even entertained at all. The players want to play like under rafa cos we were better under rafa. Absolute cunt. 2 Years in, has had massively more money than Rafa and still it's rafa's fault he's shit. Jesus fucking christ.

Are they uploading the full video to Nufctv lol.

I think its the last throw of the dice to motivate the players. He is clearly completely rattled. We better not get anything at Arsenal other than a hiding is all I can say. It is a stay of execution if we do. If we don't the dressing room is absolutely gone and he will follow pretty soon after. Ashley will still give him the Villa game too likely, maybe even the Leeds game. I get Ashley being reluctant to change if he really thinks the takeover might happen but he will likely have to. Just means a temporary manager to season end. Which could be a blessing in disguise, if it wasn't Charnley and co. picking that manager.  Phil Brown and Garry Monk will be rubbing their hands, thats if he doesn't throw money and Arry or El Tel.

This could all have been avoided..Every Newcastle fan knew this was going to happen with Bruce, its the same cycle with every club he has been at. Did Charnley do any research on Bruce

The same Bruce who only joined Sheff Wed in Jan 2019 and made them wait for a month for him to start work as he was out in Barbados on holidays watching England cricketers

Sheff Wed must have been laughing the whole way to the bank when we offered 4 million compensation only 6 months later

Even now it doesnt seem right

[A barely coherent ramble after beer]

I don't even feel angry at Bruce at this point tbh, I just think he's pathetic and a bit laughable, and I've surprised myself with that a little bit, because I find him very similar to Pardew, who made my blood simmer.

I suppose the difference is I cared a lot more around 2013/14ish sort of time; I hadn't quite been juiced of my 'traditional' support at that point. True apathy was certainly on its way but the shock of losing the club was still quite new, and there was still a very distant, unlikely hope that a Rafa might come along and everything would be okay. So within that context, I could feel affronted by Pardew's self-servingness and particularly the way he enabled the Ashleyfication of the club; and I hated him. Really, truly loathed him. He was the manager of my club, not Nothing FC.

With Rafa's replacement, it wouldn't really matter who it was - I would dislike him. It had been confirmed, beyond any doubt at all, that there was nothing left to support. I was always going to feel - at best - a lack of respect for them, because what half-arsed 'never-was' would come and work for Ashley, after the lack of ambition and pointlessness had been confirmed unconditionally? I'll feel similarly unmoved by whoever comes in, should Bruce's position become untenable even by Ashley's standards. Want to be a manager at this club? You're obviously either useless, selfish, clueless or just a pillock.

The answer to the question in 2019, though, was Steve Bruce. So whilst I've felt hate, it's not particularly strong. Just hate the situation more than anything. I've probably only really felt really strongly either way (the bad way) when we've won, and he's been smug and felt vindicated and/or we've had to put up with short-sighted, patronising slavver from the media. 'Doing alright isn't he?' No. Fuck off.

Now he's affirmed himself as the joke I knew he was, I feel really relaxed and I'm just basking in his nonsense, feeling total vindication. If Pardew was coming out with this tripe I'd probably have boils popping out of my forehead at this point. But it's Bruce, the joke, the nothing. The manager of Nothing FC. Keep on talking shite, ye daft prick, it's good craic.

This is exactly how I feel. Except I care even less than you at this point. It's the reason I have never been angry at Bruce, just find it funny.

Wonder whether any of his media pals will be daft enough to agree with him and bash the players or will they throw him under the bus now knowing they were wrong all along defending his shitty management?

Any other manager will be absolutely slated and pelted for saying stuff like that about players to the public. Only takes one of his moron pals to agree with him and say its great man-management by Bruce by challenging his players  to step up.

Hope the players don't give a f*** and absolutely down the tools against Arsenal.

What we’ve really learned from this sorry episode of suicide by mackerel is that the only actual decent block of players (the central defenders) outright disagree with the manager about how to play central defence even though he’s a central defender.

I heard rumours that Lascelles had fallen out with him, I’ve watched Schar down tools basically five minutes after Bruce showed up, I can fully believe that whatever system Rafa had them working from as a base was designed to deal with a lack of pace in CD and CM, which was half the reason he kept shelvey away from danger. We had lejeune and Schar to ping the passes that Shelvey takes five minutes to wind up for.

So Bruce sends Lejeune out on loan, plays shelvey whenever he can until he is inevitably injured (as he’s a waster moron who doesn’t look after himself properly) and then scratches his head at why we can’t play the ball out from the back under pressure.

Reminds me of something Micah Richards said I think during or after the Sheffield game. Something like "I've always liked Steve Bruce and and like how he sets up his teams...."

I mean like, what!? Where do you even start with that. They are so resistant to criticising an English manager that they come out with such drivel.

A statement like that, based on his history of free flowing teams? Or after he's just set up with a back 5 and 3 defensive midfielders against the bottom team.

I remember that, think it was after the Leicester game.

He said something about how we have to set up to defend etc. and how well we counter. Totally oblivious to our failures, highlighting he's never actually watched us. Just another pundit who only watches the top 6 and games he has too when he's in the studio before the big game.

Came across as just talking nonsense. Was surprised at the time, because at Man City he played under some pretty decent coaches/managers who had decent pedigree of being able to defend yet still attack - Sven, even Hughes back then wasn't such a car crash, Mancini, Pellegrini.

Bruce by far would have been the worst coach he would have played under.

Obviously likes him because he's a good bloke.

Bet he's another one of the English players that hated Cappello despite him being a top level manager/coach.

Sven-Göran Eriksson's assistant Hasse Backe once said that Micah Richards was the thickest player ever coached. It was next to impossible for him to follow/understand even the most basic instructions given to him.

Sounds like the perfect combo him and Bruce.

His career took a pretty quick nose dive. He's only 32 now, and you've got free agent Danny Simpson saying he can still play in PL!

Was always decent enough I thought, just relied on being strong and fast.

Pellegrini must have seen he was thick as mince, and it was a downward spiral. Had a year in Fiorentina where couldn't get a game, was shite at Villa and had injuries